Alexi Giannoulias | Don't Ask, Don't Tell | Illinois | News

IL Senate Candidate Alexi Giannoulias Blasts Opponent for Anti-Gay Platform, Launches Petition Drive for 'DADT' Repeal

Illinois Democratic candidate for U.S. Senate Alexi Giannoulias will announce the launch of a petition drive urging immediate repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" at a press conference this morning at the Center on Halsted in Chicago. Among the community leaders appearing with him will be openly gay Illinois Rep. Deb Mell, who last week announced her engagement to her partner on the House floor, and two service members, Marquell Smith and Lee Reinhart, discharged under "Don't Ask, Don't Tell".

Giannoulias

The petition website can be found (and signed) at EqualityCantWait.com.

Giannoulias will also announce an 'LGBT for Alexi' steering committee.

Said Giannoulias: “Ten years from now, we will look back in amazement that we denied full and equal rights for LGBT Americans. I look at the issue of LGBT equality as one of basic fairness. I was raised to believe that all people are equal, and that we should judge one another by our actions and ideas – not by our race, our religion or our sexual orientation.”

Said former Marine Smith in a press release advanced to Towleroad: “I appreciate Alexi’s leadership and willingness to be so vocal during this campaign on the issue of equality. Though we have made progress, real change will require sending leaders like Alexi Giannoulias who have the the determination and courage to finish this fight in Washington. I have one question for Congressman Kirk: Why must I hide my identity, why must I be made to feel shame about who I am, in order to serve my country? Congressman Kirk’s position on 'Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell' is unconscionable.”

You may remember that Giannoulias' Republican opponent, Mark Kirk, who supports DADT and opposes marriage equality and the repeal of DOMA, was the target of a radio campaign by his primary opponent Andy Martin, who alleged that Kirk is gay. Kirk said he's not gay.

Earlier this year, Towleroad's Corey Johnson interviewed Giannoulias during a visit to NYC. Watch the interview again, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I can't wait to vote for Sexy 'Lexi!

Andy, one thing- Halsted doesn't have that second "A".

Posted by: JeffRob | May 17, 2010 12:02:38 PM

2. Giannoulias doesn't have a pray. He has way too much baggage with his family's failed bank and faulty loan practices.

Posted by: Drew | May 17, 2010 12:07:28 PM

3. Cue the Log Cabin commenters to start posting about how Mark Kirk is really a "moderate". Just like Scott Brown. And Chris Christie. And Bob McDonnell . . . .

Posted by: Patric | May 17, 2010 12:07:59 PM

4. He's adorable. But he looks like his mama tied that tie.

Posted by: The Milkman | May 17, 2010 12:33:34 PM

5. Folks, has the last year taught us nothing???? It makes no difference what this guy says during the campaign. ASSUME THAT, ONCE ELECTED, HE'LL TOSS YOU UNDER THE BUS. Don't fall for this b.s. from yet another Democratic candidate. At least make him commit firmly to goals WITH DATES AND SPECIFICS, so it makes it even harder for him to wiggle out of the campaign promises later.

Posted by: SkepticalCicada | May 17, 2010 12:41:38 PM

6. No one is going to give a rat's ass about the Broadway Bank thing in November. The bank has been taken over by the Feds and sold to another bank. Mark Kirk is going to have to either vote for financial reform or continue to be an obstructionist, like his other fellow Republicans. Right now, the polls show a tie between Giannoulias and Kirk. I'm convinced that Giannoulias will win in November. Illinois is still very much a Blue state.

Posted by: Terry | May 17, 2010 12:44:52 PM

7. I'd strongly advise folks in our community not to blindly vote for a candidate simply because there is a "D" after his name. [I think folks who vote "for a person , not a party" have more success at spotting good legislators.

P.S. Mark Kirk is gay. He really is. He was single when elected , but married to squelch the gay rumors. He divorced after a few years, but not before displaying his wife one election night, kissing her and asking "Isn't she beautiful?"

Also, Rep. Aaron Schock is gay. He really is.

Posted by: Lothar | May 17, 2010 1:19:16 PM

8. Just a few years ago, Mark Kirk was a moderate Republican who represented a moderate Chicago suburban district. As I recall, he had a decent HRC equality score.

Then he decided to run for state-wide office in a time when the state GOP is controlled by extremists (they're the ones who picked Alan Keyes to run against Obama in 2004). Every day in every way since then, he's looked for ways to be move farther and farther to the right.

What better way to show right-wing chops than attacking equality? So, natch, Kirk has turned into an extremist.

I think I'll make a contribution to Alexi's campaign. Today.

Posted by: K in VA | May 17, 2010 1:21:53 PM

9. Alexi campaigned for IL Treasurer as a genius banker whose family bank was making record profits. Then he cost IL families saving for college $80+ million in losses to the Bright Start program, used funds to buy an SUV, and his family bank needs taxpayers to bail it out after the family looted millions from it and it loaned tens of millions to gangsters.

These are all facts if anbody cares to look at the record, and it's why Mark Kirk will win be elected in November.

Posted by: LincolnLounger | May 17, 2010 2:56:25 PM

10. I hope he wins!

Posted by: KFLO | May 17, 2010 3:14:51 PM

11. Call me shallow, but I just LOVE it when a candidate I like also happens to be very easy on the eyes. lol

Posted by: sparks | May 17, 2010 7:33:01 PM

12. Miss Lincoln Loungette, You worry about that stupid ass Scott Brown you dumb right wing Faggot.

You crazy ass don't even live in Illinois!

Posted by: Chris | May 18, 2010 1:03:14 AM

13. Chrissie, I notice you didn't say I had my facts wrong. And I do live in Illinois. Why do you think Lincoln is in my screenname?

Posted by: lincolnlounger | May 18, 2010 2:28:40 PM