Don't Ask, Don't Tell | James Inhofe | Military | News

BigGayDeal.com

Sen. James Inhofe (R-OK) on DADT Repeal: Soldiers Would be Unwilling to Fight and Die for Their Gay Comrades

Senator_inhofeSenator James Inhofe thinks all soldiers are as bigoted as he is, suggesting in an interview with the American Family Association yesterday that service members would be less willing to sacrifice — less willing to fight and die — if they knew "the guy in the next foxhole" was gay.

Said Inhofe: "For those of us...and I’m one of them...who have gone through the military, gone through basic training, and you stop and think... it just doesn’t make any sense. Second of all, it’s just not working. You have women, men, then you have a third group to deal with, and they’re not equipped to do that. And you know...you hear the stories all the time. A military guy...I happen to be Army, and Army and Marines always feel that when we’re out there, we’re not doing it for the flag or the country; we’re doing it for the guy in the next foxhole. And that would dramatically change that."

You may recall Inhofe as the senator whose family never had a gay or a divorce.

Listen, AFTER THE JUMP...

(think progress via right wing watch)

Comments

1. Might I refer back to this post in responce:

I think you are wrong Mr. Inhofe

Posted by: ravewulf | May 13, 2010 5:53:22 PM

2. someone give this man a book on the Sacred Band of Thebes, please. Assuming he can read...

Posted by: Jacob | May 13, 2010 5:56:29 PM

3. so...if we're against the current war then why are we trying so hard to get into the army so we can go fight in it? Doesn't make sense. Seems like we're just fighting for the right to throw our lives away. Not very positive.

To each his own, I guess. As for myself, I rather enjoy my draft-exempt status ;)

Posted by: chrisz | May 13, 2010 6:02:29 PM

4. why do people this stupid continue to live. god certainly does have a sense of humor.

Posted by: nic | May 13, 2010 6:20:46 PM

5. Oh Lord!

How does he know, did he ask, did he tell?

How then, does the armed forces feel about defending the gay citizens of the USA? Aren't you supposed to be one nation under God? Where is the fierce advocate for gay rights?

Posted by: Sean R | May 13, 2010 6:42:13 PM

6. If he would be a European politician his career would be over!!!
    Only in the US comments like this go with no consequences.

Posted by: Martin in FLL | May 13, 2010 6:56:14 PM

7. What an absolute MORON. I hope his seat is up for grabs soon.

Posted by: sparks | May 13, 2010 7:11:58 PM

8. @ChrisZ: We are not draft-exempt. Over the years, when a draft is enacted the whole "Homosexuals in the military" thing goes out the window. They want us when they have to have people. When they don't they treat us like dirt.

And, to quote a good friend of mine in the army "If I've got someone watching my ass expecting them to save my life, I'd like them to like what they see! Hell, they save my life I might give it to them!"

Posted by: Steve | May 13, 2010 7:25:25 PM

9. if he was in the next foxhole.. I know I'd be less inclined to save him too!

Posted by: NorthoftheBorder | May 13, 2010 7:28:34 PM

10. So what he's saying is that straight soldiers are willing to let their country be defeated because they hate fags. If that's the case, maybe straight folk shouldn't be allowed to serve.

Posted by: Kyle | May 13, 2010 7:47:50 PM

11. Unbelievably offensive and disgusting. That man wears his hate on his sleave.

We also shouldn't allow blacks to be soldiers because some racist white soldiers might balk at saving black soldiers' lives.

Posted by: incredulous | May 13, 2010 7:48:07 PM

12. I'm not even sure he formed a complete sentence or a complete thought.

Posted by: shane | May 13, 2010 7:48:11 PM

13. "We're not doing it for flag or the country"...sounds unpatriotic to me...."we're doing it for the guy in the next foxhole",even though Senator only had 1 year of service to include bootcamp and never saw field action.

Posted by: greg2 | May 13, 2010 7:56:49 PM

14. The Senator is correct... because I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to save his ass.

Posted by: stephen | May 13, 2010 8:06:46 PM

15. I think a straight soldier would love it if his fox hole mate was gay and in love with him enough to take a bullet for his man. Let's be serious. Is he saying that straight soldiers would not be patriots just because they have a gay man in the fox hole with them? That is a load of bull shit. All the free blow/hand jobs you could want and someone to take that bullet for you=PRICELESS.

Posted by: Harry | May 13, 2010 8:31:14 PM

16. Wow.

I remember as a little kid growing up with stories about how my Aunts couldn't try on clothes in downtown Chicago because the stores felt that if Coloreds tried on clothes, white people would not buy them. Well, that rule went by the side and guess what? White people are still buying clothes.

I remember as a tween the debate on allowing women in the Armed Forces. They said that if women were allowed the Army would go to Hell and no guy would support a woman in combat. Well, now women are flying into combat and serving in some really ugly places with honor. Guess what? We still have the best Army on Earth.

This too shall pass.

Posted by: Derek Washington | May 13, 2010 8:55:44 PM

17. He really is an incredibly stupid human being.

Posted by: RedCedar | May 13, 2010 8:59:28 PM

18. "What an absolute MORON. I hope his seat is up for grabs soon."

Unfortunately he is one of the two senators from Oklahoma, and the other (Sen. Coburn) is only slightly brighter, yet in other ways perhaps even worse than Inhofe (if such a thing is possible). Even if Inhofe lost his seat I fear it would only be to someone worse than he.

Posted by: RedCedar | May 13, 2010 9:04:30 PM

19. Yes, Mr. senator.
    I remember back in segregation times,
    (WHITE) Soldiers would be unwilling to fight and die for their "BLACK" comrades
    too

Posted by: duhh | May 13, 2010 9:17:39 PM

20. where do we find the people we elect to congress?it very clear it not from the brightest in the country. remember the old saying those who can do those that can't teach. that has changed to those who can't run for office.are politicians are jokes.

Posted by: walter | May 13, 2010 9:32:17 PM

21. OMG there's alot of us in Oklahoma who would LUV to get rid of Inhofe but there's so many bigoted idiots around here that it ain't happening anytime soon.

Tom Coburn is an asshat, but he's an angel compared to this shithead. Coburn actually told people in Oklahoma to stop watching Fox News because it was making them mean. And that Nancy Pelosi was a nice lady who really loves her country, but just has different beliefs than he. I couldn't believe it.

Posted by: clint | May 13, 2010 11:16:56 PM

22. Nobody appears to notice the only thing that I think is even worse than the "they wouldn't die for them":

"You have women, men, then you have a third group to deal with, and they’re not equipped to do that."

Yep. Gay people, not even women or men, nope. An ENTIRE new gender. And you know, soldiers, they're so stupid they just can't deal. Welcome to 1952.

Posted by: Charles | May 14, 2010 3:20:14 AM

23. Even in red-state Oklahoma, there is a openly gay public official or two. I know of at least one of them. Watch out Inhofe! Five or so years down the road, some openly gay or lesbian public official living in Oklahoma might be "gunning" for your seat! Your job is not as secure as you think! Here's an example: 87 year-old Homophobe GOPer Ted Stevens of Alaska was in Congress for about 40 some years. Guess what, he recently lost his seat after his corruption trial) to a pro-gay Democrat from his state named Mark Begich who marched in a gay pride parade.
    Take notice, homophobic congressmen and homophobic congresswomen (especially these days if you are implicated in serious messes like avoidable and patently stupid unethical and corrupt behavior)... your days in legislative bigotry ARE NUMBERED!!Inhofe has infested Congress for many years same as Stevens, Helms etc. had.
    Term limits for congresspersons anyone?

Posted by: Morgan | May 14, 2010 8:34:59 AM

24. Lemme tell you somethin', bub.

My dad WAS a marine. He enlisted in 1958, and served admirably until 1961, stationed in Alaska during the Cold War. After an honorable discharge, he served on our town's police force. And your comments are an INSULT to his dedication and service - and that of his fellow marines.

These men and women took an oath to do their duty. Just because you admit that your own oath meant nothing to you doesn't mean that that holds true for everyone else.

Shame on you. You owe a few million active military and veterans an apology for your poor opinion of them. You owe me one, too, for insulting my dad, an honorable man you've never even met.

Posted by: Justin N | May 14, 2010 10:21:29 AM

25. So, he's unfamiliar with the Spartans?

Posted by: Dickster | May 14, 2010 1:10:38 PM