Evan Lysacek Says He Lashed Out at Johnny Weir Because Weir Questioned His Sexuality

Evan Lysacek tells Us magazine that he "never should have answered" the recent question from MetroMix magazine on why Johnny Weir wasn't chosen for the "Stars on Ice" tour.

Lysacek If you remember, Lysacek said, "'Stars on Ice' is really selective of who they hire and they only hire the best of the best to skate. It would’ve been hard of them to justify hiring him, and I think he was really upset because he wanted the financial benefit of the tour. A lot of us in the skating world were really disappointed in the way he reacted, basically whining that he wasn’t chosen."

Lysacek tells Us: "[Johnny Weir] is an accomplished and talented skater…Since the Olympics, I've dealt with Johnny's questioning my integrity and sexuality, and I've never spoken out on my own behalf no matter how hurtful those things may have been. I should have known better…Best wishes and congratulations to Johnny as he opens the new season of Ice Theatre of New York. I wish him well in all of his future endeavors."

Comments

1. Mike says

Wow, what a horrible, horrible thing to have people think you’re gay. This of course is homophobic nonsense. Slowly, slowly changing of course, but wish people would hurry up and snap out of it!

2. Terrance says

Meeee-ow….

Is it subversive of me to think that those two should just blow each other and be done with it already (preferably on ice, and with the cameras rolling)…?

3. Mike C. says

I like Johnny Weir, but he is mean to Evan and as no business publicly questioning his sexuality. It’s his business and Johnny should lay off him. And if Evan actually were in the closet, Johnny’s comments will only push him in further, taunting someone over their sexuality is not the way to get them to come to terms with it. It’s also called common decency

4. topher says

Jeez, people! I’m so fed up with these gays going after lysacek simply because he hasn’t come out! their understanding of gay pride is nothing but chauvinism, thinking that just bc they’re out and about, everyone who behaves differently is a sad bitter closet case — wtf! he’s just an ice skater! get a life and move on!

5. Hank says

Johnny Weir only attacked Evan – not any other skater – because Evan succeeded where Johnny didn’t – Evan won a medal, gold no less, and now he’s on the #1 show on TV. And he’ll be in Ice Capades, where Johnny got none of those things. It was for no other reason than pure jealousy. Johnny didn’t pick on an unsuccessful skater, but a successful one. I like Johnny, he’s very talented and has guts, but he’s also a vicious little queen who lashes out with petty jealousy when things don’t go his way. If Evan wants to come out, its his choice when and how to do it. Johnny’s great, but he’s also a c*nty little biotch.

6. Eugene says

@Topher

“I’m so fed up with these gays going after lysacek simply because he hasn’t come out!”

Go fuck yourself! Only a bitter closet case would have reacted this way – and you know this. A healthy, well-adjusted straight man would have never reacted this way. At worst, he would have said that he’s straight. More importantly, we’re all in this together, and people don’t have a moral right to live a lie. Assuming that Lysacek is gay, he reinforces the notion that you have to be a closet case in order to be successful, and there’s nothing good about it – for all of us.

7. GrabbinNewscum says

Maybe Evan Lysacek reads the comments by the regular posters here and decided he didn’t want anything to do with you bitchy cunts.

8. David T says

weir needs to grow up and quit being a bitchy, sarcastic queen. evan needs to quit responding and live his life.

9. HawaiiBill says

@GRABBINNEWSCUM: Yup. And I’m sure all of them were out every day of their lives and never had a point prior to that where they ever tried to pass as straight. Thank God they are holier than the rest of us. We can now strive for their perfection.

10. TANK says

lysacek’s a QUEER. But honestly, this macho bullshit in figure skating is hilarious. Figure skating…and we can’t even make inroads in that “sport”. The lgbt community is pathetic…because of weak members like hawaiibill, grabbin, topher, and brian from texas. Weak people with weak minds that will never accomplish anything, and seem content to live their pathetic, hollow lives as second class citizens. There are just so many of these pathetic, weak people who identify as l, g, b or t for this to be at all effective…and we see no results to confirm.

11. Eugene says

@David T

“people don’t have a moral right to live a lie? well, you don’t have a moral right to question someone else’s decision to to stay closeted either, little boy. in fact, you don’t have a right to assert your idea of morality on evan anymore than NOM has a right to impose their moral beliefs on you. OK, little boy?”

The fact that you need to call me a “little boy” demonstrates that you don’t have a point. I hope your closet feels comfy, though. I mean, wy else would you equate me with the NOM?

12. Wayne says

Ha. Darling it’s us “bitchy cunts” that don’t want to have anything to do with that spiteful closet case.

Johnny Rocks, Evan Sucks.

13. Rob says

I see a future where the planets align, worlds collide and Even and Johnny become the new power couple in figure skating, bringing to fruition the prophecy of “Blades of Glory”. THey will be the First male/male figure skating team to win Olympic Gold.

Seriously, who gives a rat’s ass why these two have it out for eachother. It’s probably because some long ago incident at an out of town meet where they both let their gaurds down diddled each other. Now, Johnny’s cool with it, but Evan is freaked out, we’ve all been there. Just give them time to sort it all out.

14. topher says

@Healthy well-adjusted Eugene: He’s a kid and he skates. His doings and not doings don’t have the least consequence in my life or in anyone else’s. If you think they do, then I’d suggest taking more responsibility for yourself and for our cause, and stop expecting lysacek to be a sort of luther king of gay rights.
    And btw: I would react the same way if any straight dude/gal insinuates crap about me being straight.

@GRABBINNEWSCUM: I hear ya.

15. JT says

Ha…the ones defending Evan are the usual 90 percent of gays that just think he’s cute so they come to his defense…obviously forgetting that Evan has made a point to belittle Johnny every chance he got for years prior to this. Evan is the typical self absorbed deuche with a 85 percent chance of being queer himself. Never liked the guy…even if he can skate.

16. GrabbinNewscum says

Johnny Rocks, Evan Sucks.
    Posted by: Wayne | May 4, 2010 2:02:08 PM

I wouldn’t mind if Evan wanted to suck me!

You queeny old jealous bitchy cunts make me laugh.

17. Troy says

I’m pretty sure that Evan Lysacek is gay. I guess he plans to stay in the closet for awhile longer though.

It seems like Johnny Weir is right that there is pressure to appear straight when you are a figure skater.

18. anon says

Ah, the ignominy that is professional skating! Please check your dignity at the door! I’m sure Evan’s agent told him that it all must remain “family friendly” (read: non-gay) in professional skating so that parents don’t get all freaked out.

19. Marty says

Evan won.

Johnny lost.

Johnny needs to keep his name alive.

This isn’t rocket science.

Even if Evan were gay I seriously doubt Weir would make the cut. As the saying goes, “if he wanted a woman…”

20. says

@ Tank: couldn’t have said it better myself. bravo.

@ Wayne: couldn’t have said it better myself. bravo.

i’m so sick of closet cases and “straight acting, straight appearing” queers feeling morally superior to out and proud GAY MEN. fuck off. you only hate in other people what you hate in yourself. let it go. let go and be free. life is so fucking short, you’ll be dead before you know it and then the joke is on who exactly? just who did you think you were fooling, and was it worth it? really?

21. Otter says

Johnny does seem to be a bit bitchy. But he was right on with Evan. I think Evan realized the more he seemed upset, the more people would get that he is gay. He’ll come out when he’s made his money by not saying anything so the general public will buy tickets and watch Dancing with the Stars, upping his star power. I say let him do whatever he wants. Unfortunately, it won’t be with integrity. Understandable at the same time.

22. says

“Evan will come out when he’s made his money.”

I just read he has ALL of his clothes and suits hand tailored for him, and he’s just ordered a brand new Aston Martin DBS that retails for more than $300,000 with options. How much money is this fame/money whore going to need to find the ‘courage?’ I have more respect for the homeless teens that come out because it’s the right thing to do for them, not because it’s convenient to their lifestyle, which it so clearly isn’t.

oh well, i’ve thought WAY too much about this topic, lol.

23. Hollywood, CA says

I have watched the entire season so far on “Dancing with the Stars,” and cannot in good conscious pretend for one second that Evan is straight. For all of us gays who grew up in the closet, we can often see ourselves in gays that are closeted now. The chemistry with Evan and the HOT girl on the show is brother/sister at best. They even said that on one episode.

He’s such a lady, bless his heart. The way he talks, mannerisms, and so on. It’s like watching a white person pretend their “black.” It doesn’t look right. It seems over exaggerated… sad really.