I'm Not Gay | Johnny Galecki | News

Johnny Galecki on Gay Rumors: 'Why Defend Yourself Against Something That's Not Offensive?'

Galecki

Actor Johnny Galecki's sexuality was brought up today on The View and Galecki told the ladies why he's never responded to rumors that he's gay:

"I've never really addressed those rumors because I always figured, why defend yourself against something that's not offensive?"

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

(via tv squad)

Comments

1. Alittle shocked Whoopi asked it, but then Johnny's answer was sterling!

Posted by: kansastock | May 17, 2010 6:43:00 PM

2. I've never heard of him, but that's one of the better answers to that question. I'm all for people being out, but how often do celebrities or anyone else in the public eye come out in the course of a random interview? It's almost always the focus of a story (as with Ellen DeGeneris) or a public announcement (as with Ricky Martin). Maybe my memory sucks, but I don't recall anyone being asked in a venue like this and using it as an opportunity to announce something that will have a major impact on their lives and careers, so it's a waste of time. People come out on their own terms.

Maybe if every celebrity answered using pretty much that exact same wording, the media would stop asking that same question over and over.

Oh who am I kidding. They'll never stop.

Posted by: Paul R | May 17, 2010 6:43:28 PM

3. he was darlene's BF on ROSEANNE ,, and he has been in quite a few movies..and of course one of my fav.shows..."Monday nites CBS...The BIG BANG THEORY - funny as hell!

Posted by: Disgusted American | May 17, 2010 6:49:13 PM

4. great answer to an inane question. bad on whoopie for not doing her homework and actually READING the questions someone else prepared for her. lazy ass.

Posted by: psgoodguy | May 17, 2010 6:52:50 PM

5. Go Johnny! Just another reason why I love ya!

Posted by: Jay Croce | May 17, 2010 6:58:07 PM

6. He played a great gay role in The Opposite of Sex. Funny guy. And it's about time someone answered that question the right way. Note to The White House and Kagen.

Posted by: Zlick | May 17, 2010 6:58:46 PM

7. The View is unwatchable, so thanks for posting this -- Whoopie needs to pull the ear piece out and whoop ASS for that question---poorly written, badly phrased; then look inward and ask herself, "WHY am I on this show and HOW can I get my integrity back?"

Posted by: Donny with a D | May 17, 2010 7:01:11 PM

8. "I've never heard of him" - ??? Roseanne much? - lol

YOU ROCK, JOHNNY!

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | May 17, 2010 7:01:13 PM

9. And how can anyone contend his argument when he is so right.

Posted by: ♂ | May 17, 2010 7:06:11 PM

10. That's the BEST response I've ever heard to that question!! You go Johnny!!

Posted by: Edd | May 17, 2010 7:19:43 PM

11. Great answer. I need to check out his show. Loved him on Roseanne.

Posted by: daws | May 17, 2010 7:20:15 PM

12. had such a crush on this guy when he was on Roseanne

great answer

wtf happened to Whoopi? wasn't she out in the NYC streets protesting Prop 8 at one point? grr

Posted by: neverstops | May 17, 2010 7:23:02 PM

13. Chill, ladies. Whoopi said "I can't even believe this question was on there." She does a 4 hour radio show before The View, it's not like she can prepare every day like Hasselblech.

Posted by: Robert | May 17, 2010 7:27:20 PM

14. I love him, but The Big Bang Theory is pretty consistently homophobic. I've seen all the episodes several times (long story, but it used to play in the background while I was working). Homosexuality is almost always portrayed on the show as something to be ashamed of and vigorously denied whenever any of the characters are put in a situation where there is a chance of them being perceived as gay, and they've portrayed two of the characters as being disgusted by being fooled by transvestite as lying to them to get sex. Even Johnny Galecki's character has done this when Raj's parents thought Leonard and Sheldon where a gay couple.

Posted by: mike | May 17, 2010 7:35:54 PM

15. uhh...to the comment above...and Sandra Bullock played a racist in "Crash" and Brad Pitt played a killer in "Kalifornia" and Tom Cruise has played any variety of normal thoughtful men in his career...its called ACTING!
    What he says off the screen means more...he has always been gay friendly...and frankly, his handling of the question was the single most effective and well put that I have witnessed. No grandstanding, or overly long explanations, simply saying that "I dont care if you perceive me this way, cuz its okay."
    No one gets offended if they are perceived "young" or "rich".
    As for Whoopi...you can see as she reading the question, she is regretting it, and says as much, her face says it all...so please queens, lets trying not to get the "Offended" tourettes we gays tend to get.

Posted by: JT | May 17, 2010 7:50:45 PM

16. Have liked him ever since "Roseanne"....

Posted by: b-rod | May 17, 2010 7:58:01 PM

17. I've always loved him to teeny little bits and now even more so as he's come up with The Perfect Answer!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | May 17, 2010 8:15:54 PM

18. Besides "The Opposite of Sex" where he played a gay punk (Who can forget "New piercing" ?) he played a gay hustler who falls in love with a Tom Cruise type movie star client in a very well-regarded Broadway comedy called "The Little Dog Laughed."

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | May 17, 2010 8:19:51 PM

19. And if you were lucky enough to see "The Little Dog Laughed", he had a (brief) nude scene.

Posted by: Stephen | May 17, 2010 8:28:13 PM

20. JT

My point has nothing to do with his acting. Also, you surely can't be saying that it is more important that something he says on one appearance on The View is more important than the message sent out every week on The Big Bang Theory, a top-ten television series in the United States, that is also broadcast in the rest of the world as well. Remember, these are the shows that LGBT kids see with their parents and friends every night, and these are the shows that shape the hearts and minds of the public.

He should use his considerable influence to make The Big Bang Theory more gay friendly.

Posted by: mike | May 17, 2010 8:35:54 PM

21. DING DING DING

Right answer!

Posted by: sparks | May 17, 2010 8:44:20 PM

22. Has anyone noticed how conservative Whoopi has gotten lately? It's just little things here and there.

Perfect answer for one of my fave actors. He was great in Roseanne and The Big Bang is an amazing comedy with a great ensemble cast.

Posted by: Derek Washington | May 17, 2010 8:56:21 PM

23. Great respond by the way, not so much if he in fact happens to be gay.

Posted by: vatm | May 17, 2010 9:09:21 PM

24. "Now that we know you are not gay" LOL..He looked kind of shocked at that statement. I suspect that no one asked whether or not he was gay, which shouldn't be asked in the first place. It seems Whoopi was not paying any attention to the conversation. He gave the perfect answer. SHAME ON WHOOPI!!!

Posted by: CB | May 17, 2010 9:17:55 PM

25. Who was the gay guest host?

Posted by: Otter | May 17, 2010 10:16:19 PM