Don't Ask, Don't Tell | Military | News

Pelosi Promises End to 'DADT' This Year

Nancy Pelosi has vowed to end "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" by the end of the year, The Hill reports:

Pelosi"Pelosi, in an interview with The Hill, stopped short of laying all of her strategic cards on the table. She wouldn’t say whether the House will take the lead on the issue or predict when the Clinton administration-era tenet would be repealed. But she made it clear ending 'Don’t ask, don’t tell' is at the top of her agenda. 'I don’t have any doubt that ‘Don’t ask, don’t tell’ will be a memory by the end of this year,' she said."

Pelosi was less sure about ENDA.

In related news, Servicemember's United found 630 additional discharges under "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" that have NEVER been counted.

Alex-nicholson Said Alexander Nicholson, Executive Director of Servicemembers United and a former U.S. Army interrogator who was discharged under 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell: "These newly released data confirm what Servicemembers United has long suspected - that the official annual 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' discharge numbers are underreported and incomplete. The Department of Defense has adopted its own 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' policy regarding the full and complete disclosure of these numbers over the years, and unfortunately the methodology by which this information has been requested, collected, and assembled by outside organizations has been flawed. What's more is that there are even more discharges that have yet to be disclosed, and we're still working on obtaining those data."

Nicholson appeared on Michelangelo Signorile's Sirius radio show yesterday, and criticized HRC for not putting enough pressure on the White House to get the repeal done this year:

"I'll say, honestly, first of all, that I don't think HRC has not done everything they could to put pressure the WH. I believe there are some there who believe they have done everything they can...I think there are others who may have other agendas and professional careers and things like that to worry about. I have been begging HRC to scale up their operations on don't ask, don't tell since early last summer... Realistically, I do think there was more they could do earlier this year, and I think there was more they could do last year...I would have loved to have seen the ramping up going on a year ago. You can't build the infrastructure...in a matter of two months...That needed to happen last summer."

Listen to the full audio of Signorile's interview here.

Comments

1. Shouldn't Servicemembers United and SLDN be taking the lead on this and not HRC? What a whinny bunch of cunts. Why not let HRC tackle DOMA and ENDA (Hate Crimes, done) and support them on the DADT?

Posted by: Mike | May 21, 2010 11:42:09 AM

2. Yeah Mike. I guess just like the president HRC has too much on their plate. What a pathetic bitch you are. The fact of the matter is HRC has taken in millions of dollars from our community and allies but actually do little to advance our causes. Maybe it's because they are too busy attending cocktail parties instead of fighting for us.

Posted by: Tim W | May 21, 2010 11:57:25 AM

3. "Speaker Nancy Pelosi has privately told her politically vulnerable Democratic members that they will not vote on controversial bills in 2010 unless the Senate acts first."

December, 2009 - The Hill

The SENATE is NOT going to "act first."

She promised her fellow politicians. They are more important than we are.

While it is difficult to find any "political" promises that are actually kept - the ones they make to each other are the most reliable. Kind of an "honor among thieves" thing.

Posted by: AndrewW | May 21, 2010 12:07:31 PM

4. The DOD's 'study' will be finished in time to repeal DADT after the elections but before the new Congress is seated. This is obviously their game plan. Watch.

Posted by: Tranquilo | May 21, 2010 12:12:54 PM

5. Oh goody, more "promises"...

Empty words. Just like "support". Sure, it's easy to "support" something in theory, but what matters is action and there has been precious little of that since President Placeholder took over.

Other empty words: "hope" and "change".

Posted by: Gridlock | May 21, 2010 12:26:22 PM

6. Dan Choi is our MLK. GetEQUAL is our salvation. Without them nobody would even be talking about DADT.

The bravery of Dan Choi and GetEQUAL is how we get equal. Raise your voices and DEMAND!

Millions of activists will take to the streets this weekend and DADT Repeal will be passed next week. Politicians fear us and they will do as we demand.

Posted by: ActivateNow | May 21, 2010 1:08:34 PM

7. This needs to be a united front against homophobia and inequality. Service Members United needs to be a continual asset to the HRC and vice-versa. All the more specialized groups need to have a working relationship with HRC. I agree, more pressure needs to be applied, but support for the more specialized groups who will then provide support for the larger groups like HRC is the way I see it happening best.

I've actually known Alex for quite some time and I can tell you, he is determined and incredibly hardworking. DADT will be repealed, but it must be a united front against all that stands in the way.

Posted by: Martin | May 21, 2010 1:32:14 PM

8. Millions? Uh....

Posted by: HawaiiBill | May 21, 2010 1:35:09 PM

9. Nancy said DADT will be a "memory" NOT "passed" by the end of the year. You know how politicians love to parse their words. It could be a very bad "memory" indeed by years end.

Posted by: Timzilla | May 21, 2010 2:01:06 PM

10. But if Nicholson was with HRC at the same meeting at the White House February 1st in which they found out the President wasn't going to help repeal then why didn't HE go public with that fact then or atleast after everyone got fooled the next day by Gates claim to be for repeal?

Sure HRC has been worthless for years but what does he say about his own responsibility for the last three months that have been wasted when if he'd criticized them and Obama after that February meeting the community wouldn't have kept believing repeal was just around the corner all that time?

Posted by: Phil | May 21, 2010 2:15:28 PM

11. Just got called by the DNC 5 minutes ago. They asked for money. I said that if DADT gets repealed, I will write a fat check, until then no money from me. By the reaction I got, they are hearing this quite a lot.
    And as for the HRC- If I wanted to join a club for cocktails, I would join a club for cocktails. We need nitty gritty political activists, not this bloated "membership club."

Posted by: Craig | May 21, 2010 2:15:34 PM

12. I still wish I had the time to get stickers made up for Pride that said Boycott HRC. Most in our community have no idea how useless and impotent this organization has become. It is time to cut the purse strings and give to organizations who really do something.

Posted by: Tim W | May 21, 2010 3:41:14 PM

13. Craig, interesting... What exactly was their reaction?

Posted by: rafi | May 21, 2010 3:46:18 PM

14. First things first, WOOF that guy is hot.

Secondly, I'm in agreement with Craig--the HRC is a pointless waste of money, and so is donating to mainstream outlets like the DNC if they aren't supporting legislation to protect the equal rights of homosexuals like us. Write your congressman, that'll have more of an impact, especially if you live in a district that isn't already represented by a true blue liberal (my congresswoman is Nydia Velazquez, so writing her would be like preaching to the choir...). You can affect a change. Don't expect the HRC to do it, but if you do expect something from them, then lay pressure on them--cut off their funding.

Posted by: Phil | May 21, 2010 3:46:25 PM

15. the time is now. stop funding to useless organizations like the dnc and hrc. send your checks to candidates who put themselves out there for us.hrc needs to end up on the unemployment line. maybe they could jobs more suited to their talents liquor salesmen. the dnc wants money make them earn it.if they keep getting the money the lies will continue.it may take a few of these fence sitting dem losing their job to cause some movement but might well be worth it in the long run.

Posted by: walter | May 21, 2010 5:36:57 PM

16. Pelosi is running for re-election, she needs the 'gay' vote. Anticipate more disappointment.

Posted by: CB | May 21, 2010 6:54:20 PM

17. LOUD and PROUD.

We must get in the faces of our fellow citizens and DEMAND our Equal Rights.

Dan Choi is our MLK. GetEQUAL is our National Organization.

We MUST raise the volume. I expect millions to be marching the weekend. Thank those brave souls for creating YOUR equality.

Posted by: Jason_Activist | May 21, 2010 7:56:14 PM

18. WoW! What a carrot and stick trick. Didn't she mean to say they would talk about it again after the elections?? But then, if they loose too many seats, the issue will be off the table also.

I'm just about ready to go Repub. At least they have enough guts to tell me they hate me. With the Dems - most days I just feel like I am getting stroked ... but no happy ending. And I really am tired of being told to wait....and wait....and wait....and wait. But they always want/need my donation right now.

"Hey, Fag. You got some money?"

Posted by: Mark | May 21, 2010 8:25:34 PM