Boston | Discrimination | Education | Massachusetts

BigGayDeal.com

Massachusetts School Denies Admission to Boy with Lesbian Moms

Like Sacred Heart of Jesus School in Boulder Colorado did to two children in early March, a Massachusetts elementary school has denied admission to a boy because he has lesbian parents, the AP reports:

Stpaul "The Massachusetts woman, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of concerns about the effect of publicity on her son, said she planned to send the boy to third grade at St. Paul Elementary School in Hingham in the fall. But she said she learned her son's acceptance was rescinded during a conference call Monday with Principal Cynthia Duggan and the parish priest, the Rev. James Rafferty. 'I'm accustomed to discrimination, I suppose, at my age and my experience as a gay woman,' the mother said. 'But I didn't expect it against my child.' Rafferty said her relationship 'was in discord with the teachings of the Catholic Church,' which holds marriage is only between a man and woman, the woman said. She said Duggan told her teachers wouldn't be prepared to answer questions her son might have because the school's teachings about marriage conflict with what he sees in his family."

The Boston Archdiocese is reportedly investigating the situation.

Comments

1. On the rbight side, the boy is probably a lot better off not to be going to a school that is homophobic like this school. Why would lgbt parents want to send their kids to schools like this anyways? I wouldn't want to send my child to be taught at the feet of the likes of Jerry Falwell, Pat Robinson or others who would tell my child that two loving people of the same sex is an abomination.

Posted by: Chris | May 12, 2010 9:14:07 PM

2. No doubt this is very very very very very sad. However, I've yet to understand what people are surprised or appalled about. Religious organizations can, will and should exercise their religion.

This is like me landing in Tehran and proposing marriage to a cleric at the baggage claim and wondering why he's rejected me.

Posted by: Jake Orlando | May 12, 2010 9:27:48 PM

3. And I'll bet the school doesn't have children of divorced and remarried parents either. Awesome!

Posted by: Anyway | May 12, 2010 9:41:17 PM

4. The catholic church is antigay?! The horror! Nahhh...

Posted by: TANK | May 12, 2010 9:50:51 PM

5. The big story here is, WHAT'S FUCKING WRONG WITH THESE LESBIAN PARENTS WHO INSIST ON SENDING THEIR CHILDREN TO CATHOLIC SCHOOLS THAT WILL TEACH THEM THAT THEIR PARENTS AND THEIR FAMILY IS SHAMEFUL, IMMORAL AND DISORDERED!

Posted by: TampaZeke | May 12, 2010 9:51:00 PM

6. @Chris - there are many gay catholics out there and many would like their children raised in the catholic faith. While personally, I would never, ever trust my child in the care of the Catholic church, we have to understand that LGBT people should have full equality - meaning we should be able to express our freedom of religion as well. So technically, if you think of it, this school is infringing on civil rights, but also on someone's freedom of religion. If you think about it, right?

Posted by: JamieMcG | May 12, 2010 9:53:07 PM

7. Personally, I wouldn't want to send my son to any catholic anything, school or otherwise. The boy will be much better off in public school learning about the whole world instead of going to a school that puts blinders on you. Plus, he doesn't have to worry about being molested, not only by a priest, but by the whole catholic church.

Posted by: Randy | May 12, 2010 9:56:16 PM

8. Silly Lesbians! Catholic institutions have the power to discriminate. Unless they receive state money of course.

Posted by: Peter Saxe | May 12, 2010 9:57:00 PM

9. No...if it is a private school and doesn't accept public funds, then those who run it have the right to religious freedom, and that's freedom to discriminate. Even if same sex marriage were legalized nationally, for example, no church would be required to perform a same sex wedding ceremony just because a gay person desired it.

Posted by: TANK | May 12, 2010 9:59:54 PM

10. My first instinct is to side with the school assuming they are a private religious institution. If it's publicly funded then that's a different issue.

Posted by: Marty | May 12, 2010 10:00:46 PM

11. It might be best, considering her son might have some Catholic priests as teachers! :O

Posted by: CB | May 12, 2010 10:11:16 PM

12. No offense...but it it a religious school..what did she expect?...obviously looking for money...

Posted by: aalan brickman | May 12, 2010 10:13:44 PM

13. Hingham is a really nice suburb on Boston's south shore. Beautiful ocean views. It's 375 years old, founded in 1635. I live about 10 miles from it.

Posted by: John in Boston | May 12, 2010 10:19:33 PM

14. There is probably "something wrong" with ALL of the parents sending their children to such a school, no matter what their orientation or the make-up of their family.
    But it sounds like these parents have just chosen to send him to another Catholic school. I don't get people who seem to think they need to be connected o the idea of believing in "something" and raising their kid to believe in "something" is more crucial than the specifics of what that "something" is.
    I have known many, many, MANY people who consider themselves "Catholics" and virtually none who actually believe in anything that actually stands out as a tenet of Catholicism.... and yet they put money into the coffers on Sunday and often send their kids to schools where the teachers mostly pretend to believe in things (birth control is immoral, discrimination in marriage laws is okay, etc.) that even they think is BS.

Posted by: GregV | May 12, 2010 10:22:19 PM

15. I've said it before and I will say it again, that gays need to start their own church (for those who support organized religion). Services could be led by ministers, priests, rabbi's, etc. who have been excommunicated by their religion due to being gay and follow some of the practices of a specific religion, although not be affiliated with it. Even recruit clergy those who are sympathetic to the cause. Then start up a school for gay parents' children. Just think, the gay community, under the guise of religious freedom, could also discriminate on who it would let into its school. I am sure in the gay community, we have some awesome teachers! It probably would become a premiere school with teaching and learning accolades, though it might be hard to start up and keep going without government assistance.

Posted by: CB | May 12, 2010 10:27:09 PM

16. Time to get another religion! Gay Catholics are like Jewish Nazis, Black KKK members or dare I say it ... Gay Republicans! Why waste your life insisting to join a group of people who hate you. There are plenty of religions who accept gay people (and don't mind when gay people actually have sex).

Posted by: Mike | May 12, 2010 10:30:16 PM

17. i don't know why the hell anyone would send an innocent kid to a catholic school anyway. he'll be better off in public school. hell, he'd be better off being home-schooled by a jellyfish.

Posted by: casey | May 12, 2010 10:43:21 PM

18. CB: David Geffen could write a check for such a school tomorrow, and keep it running for the next 100 years without even noticing the drop in his wealth. Tim Gill could do it also.

Posted by: casey | May 12, 2010 10:45:38 PM

19. At least it's less likely he'll get raped.

Posted by: Bill Perdue | May 12, 2010 10:45:57 PM

20. This is why Jesus was such a strong advocate of discrimination.
    It's also why god invented the word 'cunts'.

Christianity is like communism. The intent is amazing, but the corruption in the hearts of it's so called leaders render it useless.

Posted by: James | May 12, 2010 10:51:45 PM

21. As a private school, St Paul Elementary School is free to discriminate as they wish. It is without question unfortunate, but not all that surprising.

As a former Hanoverian (Go Indians!), I'm curious about where on the South Shore this couple lives. Many of the towns, Hingham in particular, have very good public schools.

Posted by: searunner | May 12, 2010 11:00:15 PM

22. To those of you who comment every time a story like this pops up to ask why parents would ever want to send their child to a school like this, perhaps I can offer some insight. I'm a 24 year old gay man who was educated in Catholic schools through high school. I, like many Catholics, don't believe in many positions the church takes on a wide assortment of issues. But I also get a lot out of the church, and am very thankful for my Catholic education. Catholic schools are not all about religion, they are also about character formation and instilling values that the church (and the families who send their children to these institutions) holds dear... values like faith and spirituality, community, and social justice. I'm not saying you can't be taught these types of things at other schools. I'm quite sure you can. But I know that if I had to say what the overriding influence the Catholic church had on my education, it was that every day and every class was about developing who you are intellectually and spiritually, and how you can use your gifts, talents, knowledge and energy to help those around you.

Of course we learned Catholic teachings as well- teachings I think most, if not all of us here would disagree with. But it wasn't done in such a heavy handed way as you might think. The teachers clearly had to teach it a certain way, but in my experience they always opened up the classroom for open discussion. I come from a very conservative town with mostly conservative families, and you'd have been surprised how much push back students gave teachers on issues of homosexuality, abortion, women, etc...

But again, in the end, it's hard for me to remember what religion class was even like, 6 years down the road. As upset as I know I was once in awhile knowing how much I disagreed with what the teachers were saying, the impressions that have stayed with me of my school is much more positive and much more meaningful. And that is why I will not hesitate to send my children to Catholic schools someday.

I hope that helps elucidate at least one person's opinion on the matter. Sorry this was so long! It's my first time commenting-- but I always love reading what you all have to say on all of Andy's posts :)

Posted by: Danny | May 12, 2010 11:04:40 PM

23. This school is absolutely not free to "discriminate as they wish." If they are offering a service to the public, anti discrimination laws specifically require that those services be available to everyone. If this school can chose to not serve a child with a gay mother, there is nothing stopping them from choosing to refuse service to a Chinese person, or for that matter, for the lunch counter down the street to refuse service to those Negroes.

Posted by: Paul | May 12, 2010 11:12:51 PM

24. Fuck catholics. Fuck christians. I wish gay people would stop giving money to people who discriminate against them.

Posted by: DD | May 12, 2010 11:16:37 PM

25. The catholic church turned down an innocent little boy? What's the world coming to?

Posted by: Tone | May 12, 2010 11:30:22 PM