George Alan Rekers | News

Over Speakerphone, George Rekers Tries to Silence 'Rent Boy'

Miami New Times listened in on a speakerphone call between anti-gay Christian leader George Alan Rekers and the "rent boy" (here identified as Lucien) who accompanied him on his vacation:

Rekers "During that talk -- which took place at about 1 a.m. Thursday in a Fort Lauderdale home -- Rekers told Lucien several times not to talk to the press. He also never challenged two statements by Lucien: 1) that the minister had found the 20-year-old escort on an internet site, and 2) that they 'did the whole massage thing,' referring to Lucien's contention that he gave Rekers nude massages during their two-week trip to Europe."

Part of their story:

Rekers assured that if the escort just remained silent, the whole story would soon die down. He began muttering darkly about "activists with an axe to grind" and "nothing better to do."

Lucien suggested that perhaps "the media" had a point and that Rekers really had done harm to the gay community. He insisted that Rekers' struggle wasn't his, and said he had considered making a statement to the press.

"Well, don't do that," said Rekers. "It just causes more harm."

"What was going through your mind when you went on that website?" demanded Lucien, referring to rentboy.com, the gay escort site where he had posted his profile.

Rekers paused for several seconds, considering. "Well, I'd be happy to sit down and talk to you more about that." He paused again. "We have to deal with the situation that we have, and make sure it doesn't get worse."

"Sometimes I feel like I should just tell [the press] what happened on the trip."

"No," said Rekers quickly, "Please don't do that. Please don't let them pressure you into it."

Lucien cut him off: "Well I haven't! I'm 20 years old! If you've been through this, you shouldn't have gone to that website, you shouldn't have hired me -- why did you make so many choices [for me]?"

The conversation was too sad, by then, and we couldn't bear to follow it.

I hope someone in South Florida is stepping up to give Lucien some good advice and offering him some support. The young man really sounds in need of guidance, though I do commend him for speaking out for what he believes and exposing this dangerous, anti-gay hypocrite.

Comments

1. The gay community should stop pressuring poor Lucien and leave him be, unless they actually want to offer him substantive support rather than just trying to get juicy details out of him.

I'm not sure what he meant by the "If I ever wanted to be with someone" comment, does he mean with someone as in a relationship or as in a client? If he wanted to escort again, he shouldn't talk about the trip with Rekers, isn't that like a major break of escort-client confidentiality?

Posted by: Mike C. | May 7, 2010 10:57:06 AM

2. I am proud of this kid...It take courage to speak about something like this.

Although Lucien was betrayed by this monster, and things might seem a little hard for him right now...he will only come out of this wiser and stronger.

Posted by: MarioFL | May 7, 2010 11:11:17 AM

3. rekers doesn't give a shit who he hurts. he is one very large pile of dog shit and deserves to be shoveled up and dispose od with the rest of the garbage. this pos is only out for himself.the way he tries to spin things maybe he can become an catholic archbishop.

Posted by: walter | May 7, 2010 11:12:50 AM

4. Remember his face peeps. Don't ever touch this man again.

Posted by: Darren | May 7, 2010 11:19:01 AM

5. "But I'm getting pressured out of the gay community!" Lucien was fairly screaming now. "If I ever wanted to be with someone -- it wouldn't work out! This is my fucking name!"

No, Lucien, you aren't getting pressured out of the gay community. If you wanted to be with ME, it would work out just fine!

Posted by: Eugene | May 7, 2010 11:21:02 AM

6. @ Mike C: I followed a link to Jo-vanni/Lucien's Myspace page where he ranted about being used and dumped by gay men. Clearly, he wants a "real" relationship with someone who loves and respects him. He isn't going about it realistically as a sex worker, but I suspect he is concerned that all of this publicity might ruin his prospects of meeting a good man and settling down. I feel for this kid. In fact, I'm rather scared for him. He needs help and support from people who really care, and not from Rekers or the press, who use him and throw him away.

Posted by: Don | May 7, 2010 11:27:08 AM

7. George Rekers is a monster. And as much as I appreciate this revelation. I'm deeply sadden he ever got to lay his hands on "Lucien", he is a good kid and certainly doesn't deserve this.

Posted by: Rafael | May 7, 2010 11:28:26 AM

8. We should support Lucien but keep the mask off Rekers once and for all. Rallies should be formed in Florida in front of this monster's house. It's obvious that he's manipulating this young kid (like probably, priests manipulated young boys, but that's another story) and we should help Lucien to stand up and be a man in this situation!

Posted by: Chris in Irvine | May 7, 2010 11:51:07 AM

9. After some cross-talk, Rekers tried to calm Lucien down: "I've been through things like this in the past --"

meaning: "I've fucked with other young boys in the past and always managed to get away with it."

Christianity is a disease. Erradication efforts should get underway ASAP

Posted by: New Jersey Girl | May 7, 2010 12:18:46 PM

10. Reekers is already plotting his new career as an ex-gay.

Posted by: JusticeontheRocks | May 7, 2010 12:29:10 PM

11. WHAT IS TRULY HORRIFYING AND IRONIC IS THAT REKERS IS A TRAINED PSYCHOLOGIST. IMAGINE A MAN TRAINED TO DELVE INTO THE MOTIVATIONS OF THE PSYCHE WHO DOESN'T EVEN RECOGNIZE HIS OWN HOMOSEXUALITY AND THE DAMAGE HE HAS INFLICTED ON THE GAY COMMUNITY AS A WHOLE AND ON INDIVIDUALS LIKE LUCIEN. THIS MAN SHOULD BE STRIPPED OF HIS CREDENTIALS AND EXPOSED TO THE WHOLE WORLD FOR THE FRAUD THAT HE IS.

LUCIEN IS QUITE COURAGEOUS TO COME OUT AND TELL THE TRUTH. AND HE'S QUITE RIGHT WHEN HE SAYS THAT THIS WILL POTENTIALLY DAMAGE HIS OWN CREDIBILITY WITH ANY FUTURE RELATIONSHIPS. IT'S REALLY SAD FOR HERE YOU HAVE TWO GAY MEN HARMED BY SOCIETY'S RIDICULOUS ATTITUDES TOWARDS HOMOSEXUALITY. REKERS ANTI-GAY CRUSADE HAS COME HOME TO BITE HIM WHERE THE SUN DON'T SHINE.

I'LL WAGER WE JUST HAVE THE TIP OF THE ICEBERG. IF ONLY THE OTHER YOUTHS THAT REKERS HAS HIRED WILL SPEAK UP AND TELL US WHAT THEY KNOW.

REKERS AND HIS ILK JUST PROVE THE OLD ADAGE TO THINE SELF BE TRUE. ACCEPT WHAT YOU ARE AND DON'T LIVE A LIE.

Posted by: THE QUEEN | May 7, 2010 12:38:47 PM

12. I really am surprised that I have not seen any reports on this from Fox, MSNBC, CNN etc?

Posted by: Micol | May 7, 2010 12:39:32 PM

13. I feel sorry for this kid. He's trying to discretely make a living, and gets pulled into a scandel centered around a vicious, hypocritical monster. Meanwhile, in the back of his mind, I'm sure he wants to settle down someday - then this incident pops up and he feels tarred.

Just be true to yourself, J-VR. The right person will come along someday, who loves you for who you are and not to exploit you.

Posted by: Hank | May 7, 2010 12:42:30 PM

14. On Chris Matthews "Hardball" (MSNBC) last evening he did a short report on it.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | May 7, 2010 12:49:05 PM

15. OK, So a older, well-to-do, well intentioned Gay man can pull it out to make a Gay boys prom night memorable, and set up a future for him. Is there any out there that might rise to the occaision in this situation; to give the support & help that this brave kid desperately needs right now? We all enjoy the 'come-uppence', and juicey details, but there is a real price that this kid is paying right now for doing the right thing...Anybody?

Posted by: booka | May 7, 2010 12:52:37 PM

16. So, has Lucien never had a real boyfriend? Do guys become escorts in the vain hopes of finding one? Ouch.

Posted by: anon | May 7, 2010 12:59:33 PM

17. "If I ever wanted to be with someone -- it wouldn't work out! This is my fucking name!"

I think what Lucien is saying is that anyone who might be interested in a romantic relationship with him will be scared off or turned off by the scandal and publicity, at least for the near future.

In addition, his rentboy career will probably take a serious hit since who will want to hire him, knowing he might be under the lenses of the paparazzi?

Posted by: RJ | May 7, 2010 1:05:58 PM

18. What I find funny is that even the rabidly antigay folks at LifeSiteNews find aren't buying Rekers explanation. Why do I get the feeling that his sexual orientation was an open secret to the conservative Christian crowd?

Posted by: Loki7329 | May 7, 2010 1:21:40 PM

19. "In addition, his rentboy career will probably take a serious hit"

Or a boost. Sure closeted 'mo's won't want him, but I'd imagine that his celebrity could have him yachting with the George Michaels of the world in no time.

Also, given his candid interviews on the subject, he might want to consider becoming an expert activist against anti-gay religious organizations.

Posted by: Kuhnsy | May 7, 2010 1:24:29 PM

20. This scandal is too juicy. Jovanni will be making some new friends for sure, and I don't think he'll be needing the Rentboy gigs. He could use a stylist for his hair, but he's plenty cute. I think he'll come out of this better off.

Posted by: romeo | May 7, 2010 1:26:35 PM

21. Most kids his age get into the trade because they either are run aways or were lured into by tricks who were only looking out for their own reasons. My friend Scott was part of the former. His step-father abused him, he lied about it and his Mother did not want to think the unthinkable about her husband. So he ran away at 16 and that was the only way he could find money.

After moving to NYC he did it for a few years and got further into drugs and the party scene. He was lucky to meet his room mate who got him out of the trade and into other work, but he never got over the abuse and killed himself.

I'm glad most here are not judging the kid, I also don't think he is in the wrong. He says he did not tip off the paper, that when they contacted him it was after they had reached Rekers. He was pissed that Rekers did not deny they did the trip. I would guess that either Lucien told a friend who knew who Rekers is or that they were seen by someone who tipped them off.

Now that it's out I hope he gets some good legal advice from our community, or someone who is gay friendly, so the sharks are kept at bay. I was glad that Lucien reached out to Joe @ joe.my.god, he was wise to ask Joe about the media and be told to stay away from The National Inquirer.

As for Rekers, I could not be happier that his house of cards is falling down. He is like Haggard, the lowest of lowest. This is not going away and already Rekers former allies are jumping ship.

Lucien says he is being interviewed by Anderson Cooper, perhaps he will ask him how he handles being gay in the public eye.

Posted by: patrick nyc | May 7, 2010 1:29:07 PM

22. george my boy your problem is not with some secret aganda oOoOoO PARANOID...your problem is HONESTY,something you lack desperately.....poor guy he will soon be out of a job that pays for his escorts hahahahahha

Posted by: sal | May 7, 2010 1:29:55 PM

23. to THE QUEEN amennnnnn!!!!!

Posted by: sal | May 7, 2010 1:33:23 PM

24. "Reekers is already plotting his new career as an ex-gay"honey there aint nothin ex about renting a boy toy lol

Posted by: sal | May 7, 2010 1:34:49 PM

25. @New Jersey Girl: You got it exactly right! Christianity is a vile, filthy, scabrous, psychological disease that--along with the other two devil-children of Abraham, Judaism and Islam--should be eradicated from the face of this Earth!

Posted by: jamal49 | May 7, 2010 3:08:10 PM