Elton John | Ken Hutcherson | News | Rush Limbaugh

Anti-Gay Activist Pastor Ken Hutcherson Married Rush Limbaugh Before Elton John Entertained

Elton John's husband David Furnish spoke to People about Elton's invitation and acceptance to sing at Rush Limbaugh's wedding.

John_limbaugh Said Furnish: "To put it in Elton's exact words, when he got the invitation, he was 'a little surprised...And then, when it turned out to be a genuinely sincere invitation … Elton said, 'Life is about building bridges, not walls.'...[John also saw it as another opportunity, in his words] to go where people wouldn't expect me to go. And maybe if I can make a great impression,' Furnish quoted him as saying, 'people might change their perspectives on life. [Rush and his bride] were incredibly gracious and very welcoming and very sweet and very appreciative. Elton, during the performance made a lot of cracks: 'I suppose you all wonder why I'm here tonight?' But ultimately, it's a bit like an olive branch, I guess. I wasn't there, but from everything Elton told me, he said Rush and his bride were incredibly charming and welcoming. And they have said they want to come and have dinner with us in England, if they pass through in their travels."

And, of course, there was also that million bucks.

Hutcherson Meanwhile, Limbaugh was married by virulent homophobe and anti-gay activist Pastor Ken Hutcherson, the Seattle Weekly reports:

Limbaugh unintentionally explained his motivation for having an openly gay rock star play and a black preacher officiate this, his fourth wedding, on the first show after his ceremony:  "One of the guests came up to me the next morning in the hotel, we were having breakfast, 'You know, you just blow everybody away. Here you are married by an African-American preacher, you're serenaded by an openly gay popular music icon, and they say you're the bigot.'...And, meanwhile, the Hutch said, 'You know, these rings are a token, and there's three tokens up here 'cause I'm one of them.' (laughing) He said, 'I'm the only black guy here that hasn't been paid to be here,' which was not true. (laughing)"

Comments

1. I guess Pastor Hutcherson’s position on adulterous child molester drug addicts is A-OK. Just don't have sex with a man you love or you'll surely go to hell.

P.S. Elton, you are dead to me.

Posted by: Dave | Jun 16, 2010 8:48:28 AM

2. Oh, I get it...the bad people were nice to me so it was ok for me to perform at the wedding,officiated by the other bad guy.

EJ, at best you are a dumbass. You say (or at least that half wit Furnish says) you wanted to extend an olive branch, do you think that is what RL was doing or was it just for his amusement that he could make the monkey dance with a few shiny coins tossed at him?

Posted by: Ben | Jun 16, 2010 8:53:28 AM

3. Elton John has done more for the gay communinty and people living with aids than most people. If he sees this as a way to start a conversation than I trust him.
    Should we then hate every gay florist and wedding planner, caterer, waiter....

Posted by: Name: | Jun 16, 2010 8:59:52 AM

4. Elton, you tired old wrinkly bag of whore, you just couldn't resist another mil in the bank to pay for your gaudy lifestyle even if it came from Satan himself.

A girl's gotta keep herself in glittery jackets and chandelier lamps, eh?

Choke on that bag rug you wear.

Posted by: Gridlock | Jun 16, 2010 9:01:43 AM

5. I would almost by the making a bridge if the toll charged wasn't one million dollars.

@Name - I grant that Elton John has down a lot for people living with AIDS. But while there are plenty of people with AIDS that are gay AIDS does not equal Gay. What haas he done for the gay community not related to a health crisis?

He can do whatever he wants but lets not try to make this some grand gesture. He has always done what is good for himself. Which is fine just don't paint it another way.

Posted by: kujhawker | Jun 16, 2010 9:06:09 AM

6. It's making me feel like a disagreeable person, but I seem to have absolutely no sense of humor about any of these people.

It's as though Limbaugh tried to put together a circus-act of peculiarities just to garner some press... and we're giving it to him.

I'd rather read Kathy Griffin's thoughts about the wedding than David Furnish's... any day!

Posted by: stephen | Jun 16, 2010 9:20:33 AM

7. Elton was paid and I'm sure the preacher was paid. That's all Rush thought about. I will pay you for what you do. But, then I owe you nothing - including supporting your rights as a human. Can you imagine the uncomfortableness if Elton's lover had attended. Imagine the introduction between guests.

Elton - have we seen you donate this money to anything?

Posted by: Kb | Jun 16, 2010 9:24:26 AM

8. "I would almost by the making a bridge if the toll charged wasn't one million dollars."

Sorry, love, but that's some sappy, sanctimonious shit.

Not everybody likes gay people as much as you would prefer, some are well-known for it, and many of those misled, ignorant people are the family, friends, general loved ones, and even (gasp) clients of lgbt people. Get. The fuck. Over it.

Elton can do whatever the hell he damn well pleases, and we shouldn't even be paying attention.

Posted by: JeffRob | Jun 16, 2010 9:24:39 AM

9. It looks like the price of giving up your integrity is $1,000,000. "Olive branch" only works if both parties agree to a respectful posture but RUSH is just laughing because I got the "Godfather of the gay Mafia" to sing and dance by throwing some pocket change at him. Sad really because I have friends that have given him money in concert revenue for 30+ years and he goes to support H8 and this fat oxycontin sucking bastard in his 4th time at preserving the sanctity of hetro marriage. Besides, wasn't Rush supposed to leave the country? Oh, did he tell another lie? Ryan White would be ashamed.

Posted by: Skooter McGoo | Jun 16, 2010 9:27:42 AM

10. This sounds like more of a freak show than Howard Stern could ever come up with...

Posted by: virgoboy | Jun 16, 2010 9:29:30 AM

11. Oh, spare me the "building bridges" nonsense, Mr Furnish. I'm sure the amount of money Elton received from Rush could build a lot of bridges, just not the kind you have in mind.

Posted by: jason | Jun 16, 2010 9:29:32 AM

12. Let's not beat about the bush: Limbaugh is a totally odious person. He has zero intention of every doing or saying anything positive about LGBT issues. This was simply another opportunity for self-serving PR, nothing else. Anyone who fools themselves into thinking otherwise simply need look at his past words and deeds. Elton is a paid fool.

Posted by: johnny | Jun 16, 2010 9:33:58 AM

13. LGBT Activism, according to JeffRob: Not everyone likes gay people. Some even make incendiary comments and use backhanded political tactics to undermine the quality of life for gay people. Get over it.

Posted by: Zack | Jun 16, 2010 9:37:53 AM

14. First post Dave has it.

Yes Elton was paid. He's a whore.

Give me an honest rent boy any day over that wheezeing bag of decaying flesh.

All three of them.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jun 16, 2010 9:39:32 AM

15. Elton can call it building bridges if he wants but the brutal fact is he is an aging media whore desperate to stay in the public eye and unable to rest on his laurels.

Posted by: Dennis H | Jun 16, 2010 10:04:26 AM

16. Eeeeew. I'm all for the bridge building, but this would have to be one sturdy bridge! Which it's not. The intention is good, but I feel Elton has been played here BIG-TIME because it was all about appearances for Rush. Ick!

Posted by: Erik | Jun 16, 2010 10:07:28 AM

17. @Zack: Pretty much. Except that's more than gay activism. That's just life.

Posted by: JeffRob | Jun 16, 2010 10:22:32 AM

18. Wow, you guys are such assholes. Just listen to yourself, he is an entertainer, bigots can BUY HIS ALBUM! WHERE DOES THAT MONEY GO??

Lay the fuck off him, what the hell have any of you guys done for gay people?

As for his MISTAKE in extending the olive branch, it was only a mistake because Rush does NOT hate gays, he uses others hate to make himself more popular.

You guys ever see the movie "The Last Supper", Its a movie where a group of progressive friends start murdering dinner guests that have negative opinions, it leads up to a Rush character coming to dinner, the group is excited to kill a man that is exactly the kind of guy that deserves to die.

Then they talk to him, not on the radio, and find him to be a perfectly pleasant guy, he just says heinous things to get ratings, he doesn't believe any of it.

Elton shouldn't have extended the olive branch because it will never work, Don't fault him though, that million was going somewhere and he was clever enough to take it.

Posted by: Fenrox | Jun 16, 2010 10:27:01 AM

19. Elton John is a fucking faggot pig.

Posted by: MarkDC | Jun 16, 2010 10:55:22 AM

20. @JeffRob: Your life. Not all of us want to dance and sing every time a homophobe snaps his fingers and writes a check. So just sit back and reap the efforts of people with more integrity.

Posted by: Zack | Jun 16, 2010 11:15:48 AM

21. It's Limbaugh's FOURTH wedding. Hardly a sacred event. I don't see why anyone is surprised that he wanted something controversial, just for the sake of getting press attention. Just like Elton agreeing to perform, just for the press attention. Entertainers ARE media whores by definition. That's how they earn a living. So WHY are people so surprised???

Posted by: Jay Croce | Jun 16, 2010 11:33:51 AM

22. I can see by these comments that many are pissed at EJ...but if one takes the time, read and digest FENROX's comment, IMHO he/she nailed it...

Posted by: yeahisaidit | Jun 16, 2010 11:34:05 AM

23. "Shunning" is a fine old tradition whereby one avoids any association with someone who, while having committed no crime, has violated the social compact in a way that violates a community's principles.

Elton John, you are dead to me. You do not exist.

Posted by: Bryan Harrison | Jun 16, 2010 11:35:51 AM

24. While, and I'm assuming here, I'm sure Rush hired Elton as just another one of those gays that can sing (and I'm sure the bride had some say in the matter), Elton accepting the offer does speak for itself.

Yes. Rush is quite vocal about his hatred for the LGBT community.

Yes. Elton John is wealthy and probably doesn't need another million.

That being said, by accepting the offer, Elton probably did more good than harm. Why? Imagine if he didn't accept the offer and fired back with a hateful message towards Rush (for examples, see some posts above). The next time Rush was on-the-air, he'd be spouting off about the gays and how they're full of hot air when it comes to building bridges.

I'd rather have Rush not mentioning our community than spewing more hatred...just for a moment.

Thank you, Elton (even though you don't need the money)!

Posted by: Nate | Jun 16, 2010 11:39:45 AM

25. it's their schtick--making millions of dollars milking people's hatred--they probably don't give a damn one way or the other about the gays...

Posted by: rick | Jun 16, 2010 11:52:28 AM