Bill Donohue | Catholic Church | Christine Quinn | New York | News

BigGayDeal.com

Catholic League's Bill Donohue and Lesbian NYC Council Speaker Christine Quinn Bond Over Empire State Building Battle

Donohue

The Catholic League has been pressing the Empire State Building to go blue and white for what would have been Mother Teresa's 100th birthday on August 26, but the ESB has thus far resisted.

Their official response? Esb

"The Empire State Building celebrates many cultures and causes in the world community with iconic lightings, and has a tradition of lightings for the religious holidays of Easter, Eid al Fitr, Hanukah, and Christmas. As a privately owned building, ESB has a specific policy against any other lighting for religious figures or requests by religions and religious organizations."

NYC Council Speaker Christine Quinn criticized the organization, telling the Daily News:  The question of why the building will not be lit is a question that deserves answering. As far as I'm concerned, the answer should be yes."

Quinn also wrote a letter to the ESB, arguing "She was voted the most admired woman in the world three years in a row and even won the Nobel Peace Prize."

Quinn's efforts have sparked an alliance between the openly gay City Council speaker and the Catholic League's Bill Donohue, who is known for opposing gays on a variety of issues.

Donohue praised her as a good Catholic: “Oh, I don’t care if she’s openly gay. What do I care about that! I disagree with Christine Quinn on gay marriage. She has been very supportive of Catholics in other areas. I’ve been involved in coalitions with Protestants and Jews and occasionally with Muslims and Hindus. I think Christine Quinn has shown herself to be a very good Catholic, and I appreciate what she’s done. We may have differences in other areas. I don’t care about that.”

New York magazine notes that under the same ownership, the building dimmed its lights for the funeral of Pope John Paul II in 2005.

Comments

1. It's a shame she's been taken in by all of the hype. The more you research Mother Theresa the worse she gets.

She supported the Duvaliers in Haiti, wrote to Judge Ito and asked for clemency for Charles Keeting, aided the Spanish right wing against the anti-Franco forces who were
    seeking a secular society in post-Franco Spain, and visited Nicaragua and Guatemala to whitewash the atrocities of the Contras and death squads. She did nothing to really help
    the poor, and prevented families and friends from even visiting the those dying in her horrible houses. She really didn't do anything for world peace, and used her acceptance speech for the Nobel Peace Prize to speak out about abortion.

http://www.opensourcereligion.net/video/penn-and-teller-call-bullshit (video exposing Mother Theresa on Penn and Teller's program "Bullshit")

http://www.thetruthseeker.co.uk/article.asp?ID=6711 (more from one of the Sisters that left Mother Theresa's order out of disgust)

http://www.thetruthseeker.co.uk/article.asp?ID=1168 (even more)

Posted by: Mike | Jun 9, 2010 7:49:02 PM

2. I'm surprised Christine Quinn can speak at all. Her lips are always plated on Bloomberg's ass

Posted by: GGREEN | Jun 9, 2010 7:57:20 PM

3. "It's a shame she's been taken in by all of the hype. The more you research Mother Theresa the worse she gets. "

Yes, yes; we've all seen Hell's Angel and read the Missionary Position.

Posted by: Zach | Jun 9, 2010 8:46:30 PM

4. There is no reason beyong pure politics to honor Teresa. All she did was to advance her harsh version of her religion. She did nothing for peace or helping people. She was against abortion and contraception. She was for ever-increasing population. We know the suffering these policies lead to. And the people under her "care" received little beyond aspirin, not even access to hospitals that she herself used. Her selfish interest was in saving their "soul" before death, not in even trying to care for them or cure them.

Posted by: Randy | Jun 9, 2010 9:59:11 PM

5. @ mike & randy

thanks for already voicing what i would have said also.

Posted by: alguien | Jun 9, 2010 10:22:53 PM

6. We should honor someone who dedicated her life to the proposition that there aren't enough people suffering for Jesus and that God likes misery?

Posted by: EdA | Jun 9, 2010 11:53:59 PM

7. Agree that MT doesn't need the Empire State Building lit up for any reason, but note that there's no problem lighting in green to celebrate Eid with those gay-loving Muslims of the world...

Posted by: Chunks | Jun 10, 2010 12:06:35 AM

8. As usual, Bill Donohue plays down his opposition to every single gay-rights initiative that comes down the pike.

He opposes us on EVERYTHING, not just marriage.

Posted by: BobN | Jun 10, 2010 1:07:27 AM

9. Misery sure loves company. I really don't want to get into a flame war with some keyboard cowboy but....I did some work at Mother Teresa's SF hospice back in the 1990s. I have heard all of the shit talked about MT since she croaked, some of it mentioned here. I never met the woman, but I know that hospice took people NOBODY else did. I know they took people back who had done some pretty ugly things to the good sisters there. I saw them give a very royal exit to a homeless, abusive, drug addict who had NO ONE in the world. They bathed him in flower water! I don't know many of you, but I'd wager not all of us have demonstrated such compassion toward the less fortunate.
    Sheesh....

Posted by: Rocco | Jun 10, 2010 3:39:58 AM

10. so you will speak will of someone you never met with a hospice that carries their name that does good work? If it's like that than all the religions wouldn't have any complaints thanks to your logic! Wish I live in your delusional world.

Posted by: dounce | Jun 10, 2010 6:06:43 AM

11. This is so typical. Christine Quinn is aligning herself with Mother Teresa in the press, but she hasn't even signed onto the resolution at City Hall. Last month, she held a press conference claiming to help NY's most vulnerable when she was actually passing a law that does just the opposite:

Posted by: Donny Moss | Jun 10, 2010 8:34:37 AM

12. Im a NYC journalist and the Empire State Building used to be on my beat. Except for big holidays, most of the lighting schemes are paid for groups spotlighting things like Polish Fashion week, or given over to nonprofits to spotlight National Diabetes Research Month. The system is fairly chaotic and they usually don't know what they'll be doing more than a week or two in advance. I wouldnt be surprised if the ESB is dragging its feet because it has a paid sponsor for that date.

Posted by: dizzy spins | Jun 10, 2010 8:47:23 AM

13. Such bullshit. Christianists are all about how their right of association (aka desire to discriminate) means they should be exempted from any gov't rules, but then the privately owned ESB doesn't pay homage to one of their people they want demand they be forced to comply.

I hate these people.

Posted by: greg | Jun 10, 2010 8:55:27 AM

14. Mother Teresa was a better person that Pope John Paul. If they dimmed the lights for that asshat, then they should do likewise for her.

Posted by: Blair | Jun 10, 2010 9:56:38 AM

15. The Romans should have crushed the vile backwards cult of Christ when they had the chance.

Posted by: mike nyc | Jun 10, 2010 11:52:29 AM

16. Mike NYC: and who should have crushed the Muslims?

Posted by: Shane | Jun 10, 2010 1:30:05 PM

17. forget the lights.....i have nothing against her, but she was hand in hand with the former pope,,,and it will all come soon about him hiding all those priest and re-assinging them all over the place so they could keep on with their deviate behavior with CHILDREN...I hope they never beautify another CATHOLIC...Just my opinion

Posted by: Jan | Jun 10, 2010 1:38:51 PM

18. Bill Donohue is a Class A, #1, Top-of-the-Line, Ass-Wipe.

Posted by: jamal49 | Jun 10, 2010 2:26:26 PM

19. The ESB is private property and they can do what they damn well please with their lights. Government officials have no business trying to coerce private companies or individuals to express a point of view. As for Donohue, I wish he'd stop trying to force his lifestyle down people's throats.

Posted by: Phil | Jun 10, 2010 2:33:37 PM

20. I'm Catholic & I'm gay. I often get bashed for wearing both hats. Sometimes I often question how I can wear both hats in light of the highly publicized foils of this demographic. Some of their actions are simply despicable. But I find it hard to cast judgement on the whole due to the actions of a few.

So I leave you with this - please, please don't judge me based on what you know of Perez Hilton, Jeffrey Dahmer, Jim Jones and various other gay men who many in society claim are immoral, if not evil. Although well-known, they do not represent me.

...

Posted by: Cyd | Jun 10, 2010 4:13:31 PM

21. Mother Teresa was a dedicated caring nurse who had good public relations. There are currently thousands of dedicated nurses doing the same thing around the world. What you do for one, you do for all. However, the only reason Mother Teresa is being singled out for a "Blue Light" is because she is still a good source of financial contributions to the "Church".

The ESB is a private operation. If the Catholics want blue light, let them light up St Patrick's Cathedral that they own

Posted by: Jerry12 | Jun 10, 2010 8:17:48 PM

22. Christine Quinn has latched onto this issue for two reasons: it launches her into the national spotlight (with stories on CNN), and it aligns her with Mother Teresa, who is perceived as a saint by many. Thankfully, many NYers are catching onto the fact Christine Quinn is a crook, not a saint.

Posted by: Donny Moss | Jun 12, 2010 11:30:31 AM

23. could not have said it better. the woman was interested in moribund souls, not in health or comfort for anyone, and a ghost harvester.

Posted by: littlebadwolf | Oct 26, 2011 5:22:48 AM