China | News | Pets

Here, Tiger!

Tiger

The new "craze" in China is apparently dying your pet to look like a wild animal.

Panda

Comments

1. Those poor dogs...dye is not healthy for hair, much less fur on a living animal...and all so somebody can get their kicks.

I am against all forms of animal cruelty, especially the kind where it "seems" benign.

The objective is never to bother these animals, to let them do as they please for the most part in the wild (unless they are genetically domesticated as pets for years), and to never alter their natural biochemistry except through feeding, shelter, and medical care when necessary.

Posted by: veg | Jun 11, 2010 10:52:57 AM

2. At first, I was horrified by the idea. Then I saw the Chow/Panda. ADORABLE.

Posted by: fhrblig | Jun 11, 2010 10:55:05 AM

3. Well at least they aren't on someone's dinner plate.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Jun 11, 2010 11:03:53 AM

4. I'm appalled! I'm amused! I'm appalled! I'm amused!

Ack, I can't make up my mind. Damn Chinese.

Posted by: crispy | Jun 11, 2010 11:07:23 AM

5. Humans suck.

Posted by: tpl | Jun 11, 2010 11:21:04 AM

6. The main reason tigers face extinction is because Chinese people insist on eating parts of them for "medicine."

Posted by: homer | Jun 11, 2010 11:44:19 AM

7. Crispy, I concur; now I am sitting here looking at my Sheltie and thinking "He's look good in tiger stripes"...

Posted by: Rad | Jun 11, 2010 11:51:39 AM

8. Just so everyone knows this is not purely a Chinese phenomenon. Just last night on Nightline, they ran a story about extreme pet grooming competitions. At least the chinese dye jobs are classy. Take a look at the awful looking animals in this video:

Posted by: Greeny | Jun 11, 2010 11:52:06 AM

9. This is what happens when you allow the bourgeois element to reemerge. Mao would never have permitted this.

Posted by: Interested Bystander | Jun 11, 2010 11:57:44 AM

10. atrocious!

Posted by: Beto | Jun 11, 2010 11:59:32 AM

11. I absolutely do not think this should be done. That being said, that Tiger Dog is adorable and I think it would be fun to play with him. Once again though... shouldnt be done.

Posted by: Blaz | Jun 11, 2010 12:52:07 PM

12. Veg is totally correct.
    Why do we need to gild
    what is naturally beautiful?

Posted by: Marcito | Jun 11, 2010 1:01:15 PM

13. ANIMAL CRUELTY!!!

I'm appalled.

Posted by: gayalltheway | Jun 11, 2010 1:51:07 PM

14. I love the tiger-dog, s/he's adorable. How would you like to be the burglar who meets that late one night in the upstairs hallway??

As for "cruel", I'm calling bulls**t on that...compared to some of the outrageous poodle haircuts I've seen, this is benign...and the poor-thing doesn't get laughed-at at the doggie park.

Posted by: Ted B. | Jun 11, 2010 2:22:26 PM

15. well, I guess that's slightly better than eating them, chopping them up for medicine, or skinning them alive, all of which the chinese (and southeast asia) seem to have a penchant for

Posted by: stolidog | Jun 11, 2010 3:20:27 PM

16. I dyed my hair about 40 times between the ages of 13 and 17, and it never caused me any harm. (And I still have a full head of hair 25 years later.)

Though who knows what kind of dye the Chinese are using. It's probably made from lye and the blood of debtors.

Posted by: Paul R | Jun 11, 2010 3:38:57 PM

17. Maybe they're finding new ways to supply their disgusting and insatiable demand for endangered species.
    *Notice to Chinese men*
    Just because the animal is a deadly predator does not mean that eating parts of it will make your pitifully tiny penis any bigger.

Posted by: D. R. H. | Jun 11, 2010 5:09:30 PM

18. This should not be shown to gay men. You know how we get.

My cat is staring straight at me with a very clear "Would you like to die?" expression.

Posted by: Bryan Harrison | Jun 11, 2010 5:22:52 PM

19. D.R.H. is exactly right. We can only hope that the Chinese and others will start eating their dogs instead of continuing the ignorant, barbaric, and shameful practice of using endangered species for "medicine".

There's no doubt they would be just as effective. Seriously, how can a people that styles themselves (even falsely) as the oldest civilization on Earth be so crass? I'm all for recognizing cultural difference but this verges on the insane.

Posted by: Robert | Jun 11, 2010 7:51:15 PM

20. You know there is someone in China right now eating their tiger steak and thinking "this tastes just like dog."

Posted by: Timzilla | Jun 12, 2010 2:26:03 AM

21. There are millions and billions of people living in China.
    Some of them are batshit crazy, some of them are uncultured
    Most are normal and DONT eat tigers.
    Wake up and stop making ignorant comments!

Posted by: ketchup | Jun 12, 2010 3:49:15 PM

22. How much self-awareness do you have to lack to make the most ignorant, racist remarks on a site like this? Grow the hell up.

Posted by: Corinthian | Jun 12, 2010 8:31:44 PM

23. What's with the racist comments? We wouldn't tolerate homophobia, so why is it okay to say all sorts of racist remarks about the Chinese?

Posted by: emmy | Jun 13, 2010 12:15:37 PM

24. Wow, the so-called victims of hate could be so racist! Love the dogs or hate them, but do not use this to hate the Chinese!

A shout-out to you, Stolidog: I'm from a country in southeast Asia, and where I'm at is ILLEGAL to kill dogs especially for food. You're making disparaging comments out of ignorance. Isn't that exactly how "prejudice" is defined?

Posted by: Tony | Jun 14, 2010 7:53:32 AM