Barack Obama | Deepwater Horizon | Joseph Biden | Michelle Bachmann | News

BigGayDeal.com

Michelle Bachmann to BP: Don't Let Obama Make You Look 'Evil'

Rep. Michelle Bachmann (R-MN) joined Rep. Joe Barton (R-TX) as BP apologist number two yesterday, in remarks at the Heritage Foundation.

Bachmann Said Bachmann:

They have to lift the liability cap...But if I was the head of BP, I would let the signal get out there — ‘We’re not going to be chumps, and we’re not going to be fleeced.’ And they shouldn’t be. They shouldn’t have to be fleeced and make chumps to have to pay for perpetual unemployment and all the rest — they’ve got to be legitimate claims...The other thing we have to remember is that Obama loves to make evil whatever company it is that he wants to get more power from. He makes them evil, and what we’ve got to ask ourselves is: Do we really want to be paying $9 for a gallon of gas? Because that could be the final result of this.”

Bachmann later said, “I said that I was concerned that Washington, the Obama administration, could use it as a permanent ATM...I want to make sure everyone knows I’m not a shill for BP.”

Barton Incidentally, Barton tried to backtrack on his statement apologizing to BP for the White House "shakedown".

While questioning Hayward in the afternoon, Barton offered an apology if his earlier comments were "misconstrued."

"If I might take a small point of personal privilege I want to be absolutely clear that I think BP is responsible for this accident, should be held responsible and should in every way do everything possible to make good on the consequences that have resulted from this accident," he said. "And if anything I said this morning has been misconstrued to the opposite effect I want to apologize for that misconstrued misconstruction."

In a statement he made his apology more explicit. "I apologize for using the term 'shakedown' with regard to yesterday's actions at the White House in my opening statement this morning, and I retract my apology to BP," he said. "...I regret the impact that my statement this morning implied that BP should not pay for the consequences of their decisions and actions in this incident."

VP Joe Biden responded angrily to Barton's remarks. Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Angry_biden

Comments

1. Yeah, and DON'T LET Michelle Bachmann make Obama look evil! WITCH!

Posted by: Jim | Jun 18, 2010 11:41:05 AM

2. I have a brilliant idea.

Let's plug the hole with Michelle Bachmann. Throw in Sarah Palin for good measure. I know it's a risk adding more pollution to the Gulf, but they'll finally be good for something.

Posted by: Alejandro | Jun 18, 2010 11:45:26 AM

3. Yeah, instead make the American people look like chumps and bail out another multi-billion dollar international company.

No way in hell that one dime of taxpayer money should clean up this mess, but it's exactly what the Republicans are trying to do....

Posted by: DCGuy | Jun 18, 2010 11:49:46 AM

4. Finally, something brilliant that comes out of Biden's mouth. Well-said Mr. Vice President.

I just wished he had finished by saying "as far as Michaelle Bachman, for fear of insulting the mentally disabled, I have no comment."

Posted by: Keith | Jun 18, 2010 12:01:51 PM

5. biden was absolutely amazing in that statement. bachman could be used to stuff the hole in the caribbean.

Posted by: alguien | Jun 18, 2010 12:07:26 PM

6. Batshit Bachmann is a lying sack of shit.

She has a BP gas pump hose stuck up her ass.

Posted by: rey-rey | Jun 18, 2010 12:16:00 PM

7. Bachmann is just another CLUELESS, wing nut, loudmouth. I live in New Orleans and grew up in "cancer alley." Every school I attended was sandwiched between petro plants. Whenever there was a leak of poisonous gas or some sort of chemical spill, the CORPORATION always paid. I love all of these a**holes that love to be heard being all political but have not made ONE visit to see the carnage down here.

Posted by: Piper | Jun 18, 2010 12:19:18 PM

8. The VP spoke for the people. Thank you, Mr. Biden, that's why we elected you and President Obama.

Posted by: Jack M | Jun 18, 2010 12:38:10 PM

9. Now that Obama wants to push the Energy bill forward, I am sure that Bachman, Palin and other Republicans alike will claim that the oil spill was part of Obama's master plan to get the support for such bill. And the sad thing is that there will be followers claiming just that (i.e. teabaggers!).

Posted by: Chris in Irvine | Jun 18, 2010 12:58:56 PM

10. Huzzah to the brilliant Michelle Bachman. Somebody had to say it.
    I wish Louisiana, Alabama and Florida would just shut the fuck up already. If they hadn't CHOSEN to be coastal states they wouldn't be in this predicament. But since they're already destroyed we might as well make the gulf one big oil well!
    Look out ANWR, you're next!

Posted by: B | Jun 18, 2010 1:10:13 PM

11. Yeah, right, Michelle. I mean, why let Obama make BP look, um, evil when you do it so effortlessly. Look evil, I mean. Ever look at yourself closely in the mirror, Michelle? Ever check out your piercing, crazed eyes? Makes you look like evil personified. Like a real Daughter of Satan. I looked up the word "evil" in the dictionary just now, Michelle, and damn! There was your picture! What's that, Michelle? You've gotta get going because you're late for your BP lube job? Oh, OK. Later.

Posted by: jamal49 | Jun 18, 2010 1:34:22 PM

12. Barmy Barton must be wishing that the oil had trapped all the crows in America! The only thing that could have improved his crow-eating exercise was to end it with "Well, never mind." Are these dim-wits getting elected because their names appear first on the ballots?

Posted by: Hue-Man | Jun 18, 2010 1:37:29 PM

13. Hmmmm, what song would MB be singing if 20,000 gallons of crude oil were dumped on her front lawn? Who would be "evil" then?

Posted by: SammySeattle | Jun 18, 2010 1:39:50 PM

14. Barton apologized because his fellow Republicans (including the whip) told him that if he didn't do so immediately, he'd be stripped of his seat on the Energy committee.

Bachman obviously got the same message. Most Repubs are smart enough to realize that siding with BP before elections is not a winning strategy.

Posted by: Paul R | Jun 18, 2010 1:45:33 PM

15. I hope this woman loses her election this November.

Posted by: Joel | Jun 18, 2010 1:54:19 PM

16. Everything said about Bachmann is correct, but the truly sick people are the ones who voted for her.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Jun 18, 2010 2:04:00 PM

17. so, in other words its okay for a multi-billion dollar corporation to cut corners and create a mess that is going to effect the widelife, the fishing industry, the tourism in the area...its okay, we understand, you were just trying to save some money!! I say BULLSHIT!! Get this bitch out of office NOW!!! What a stupid person to say something so ridiculous!!

Posted by: Paul | Jun 18, 2010 2:19:11 PM

18. Bravo Mr. Biden!

Posted by: jakeinlove | Jun 18, 2010 2:31:26 PM

19. @joel
    you can help out by helping support tarryl clarke who's running against her.

Posted by: alguien | Jun 18, 2010 2:40:10 PM

20. And THAT is why I wanted Vice President Biden to win the nomination two years ago.

Posted by: JT - the original | Jun 18, 2010 2:51:45 PM

21. In Michelle's defense, I think it perfectly reasonable that she'd know what evil looks like. It's looking back at her every time she looks in the mirror.....

Posted by: Gavin | Jun 18, 2010 4:17:48 PM

22. We should pray this woman STAYS in Congress. Every time she opens her mouth she wins new friends for whatever she is against.

Posted by: JusticeontheRocks | Jun 19, 2010 12:15:14 AM

23. BP have done wrong, by poor safety standards, by bad management, by doing the wrong thing at every turn.

They are not the "most evil oil company in the world".

The hysteria should stop and the finger pointing with it. Get it fixed and get the oil industry under control. This disaster is but a drop in the ocean (excuse the bad pun) compared to what Shell, Exxon and the rest have done to Nigeria. Too bad there's not so many votes in that see - http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/17/world/africa/17nigeria.html?scp=1&sq=nigeria%20oil&st=cse

Stop the hypocrisy, stop the business baiting, get something done instead. Government should take a lead rather than waste time finding a butt to kick. There's plenty of time for that later.

Posted by: Blueberrybadger | Jun 19, 2010 4:05:45 AM