"Ex-Gays" | BP Oil Spill | China | Elena Kagan | Fort Worth | Gay Pride | Jake Gyllenhaal | Joe Manganiello | Lady Gaga | News | Queen Latifah | Randy Jones | True Blood

BigGayDeal.com

News: Elena Kagan, iPhone, Lady Gaga, BP Oil Spill

road The raid of the Rainbow Lounge: One year later, some good has come to Fort Worth since.

11  road True Blood's Joe Manganiello flashes the peace sign.

road Randy Jones and his partner of 25 years renewed their vows today.

road Gays in China pressured to marry: "'The gay movement is not very developed,' said Wei Wei, a sociology professor at Shanghai's East China Normal University. 'The major issue facing them is not homophobia, it is social pressure for marriage.' In fact, Wei estimates that about 90 percent of Chinese gays eventually will marry someone of the opposite sex."

road Lady Gaga tweets about NYC Pride: "For all the words you've shot, and all the tears we've cried, here's to New York City, and our very Gay Pride!"

road Danish professor predicted that there would be issues with the new iPhone's external antenna: "The human tissue will in any event have an inhibitory effect on the antenna. Touch means that a larger portion of antenna energy becomes heat and lost."

road Cool underwater footage of a 112-year-old shipwreck in Lake Michigan.

road Queen Latifah on the rumors about her sexuality: "I don't have to explain anything. I don't have to confirm anything. Look, I need my time. I need my life."

road Jake Gyllenhaal stands up to cancer. Jjjak

road Kevin Costner-supported spill cleanup technology gadget could help the Gulf: "The gadget in question — an oil-separating centrifuge — marks a major breakthrough in spill cleanup technology. And BP, after trial runs with the device, is ordering 32 more of the Costner-endorsed centrifuges to aid the Gulf cleanup."

road Homophobia might be becoming more and more common at Duke University.

road Comedian and ex-gay Jackie Clune: "I am convinced that while men are usually entirely driven by sex when it comes to choosing a mate, women are often attracted more by the emotional side of the relationship and I was excited by the close bond a relationship with another female could bring. I realise that many gay people will think it sounds absurd that I 'chose' lesbianism. For them, their sexuality is so innate and undeniable that the issue of 'choice' doesn't come into it."

road Republicans don't think Elena Kagan can be an impartial judge.

road Does this mean that some police officers think that Scrabble must equate to lesbianism?

Comments

1. I don't like to judge and maybe we'd be better off if bisexuality or some such concept were more widely accepted, but I think at a time when gay people the world over are fighting for equality or their lives, her comments do a disservice to everyone including herself. I look forward to a follow-up on her in a decade's time when the children are a little older.

Posted by: Fahd | Jun 27, 2010 10:55:56 PM

2. I'm a Duke grad ('84), and I have NO problem believing that there is a problem with Dukies accepting gays and lesbians on campus. Duke is extraordinarily conservative; always has been, most likely always will be.

Posted by: Guest | Jun 28, 2010 12:28:59 AM

3. So Republicans don't think Elena can be impartial. What are they basing that on--The John Roberts Corporatist court?

Posted by: woodroad34d | Jun 28, 2010 2:44:50 AM

4. The supposedly ex-gay Jackie Clune never says that she's attracted to men. One can easily assume that she still is a lesbian, but she just couldn't deal with all the failed relationships that she had been in.

Posted by: David in Houston | Jun 28, 2010 6:12:44 AM

5. Can we please go a day without having a Lady Gaga self-promotion replay?

Interesting, here in Southern New England, we attended a party for a lesbian friend of ours. About 40 folks were there (predominantly gay). One woman was an ex-bar promoter and announced, with all sincerity, that she had "Free Lady Gaga tickets!". No one took her up on them. So we began discussing why. No one in this circle (my self included) feels this entertainer really has any talent.

So coming back to my first point; it seems that the only folks promoting her are the folks who thrive on the vapid.

Posted by: Rad | Jun 28, 2010 7:14:17 AM

6. RAD while I am not a Gaga fan, I have friends who are. I do like the fact that she does support the gay community, and no, I don't think it is for selfish reasons.

Having come out in the early 80's, I saw the same criticism of Madonna. We have enough enemies out there, picking one with Gaga seems to me to be a waste of time and energy, not to mention a distraction, when we have DADT and other things that deserve our scorn.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Jun 28, 2010 9:38:11 AM

7. I'm a Duke grad myself ('08), and I don't think the article gives fair credit to the current state of things at Duke. Yeah, there are some homophobic subgroups, but no surprise that the college republicans are one of them. Nobody mentions that in the past 4 years we've had at least one gay president of Duke Student Government.

The graffiti is disconcerting and definitely a cause for alarm, but the people who are screaming institutional homophobia are probably the same people who were screaming institutional racism after the lacrosse scandal.

Posted by: Daniel. | Jun 28, 2010 11:32:48 AM