Arkansas | Gay Pride | News | Will Phillips

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: 10-Year-Old Will Phillips to Lead Arkansas Pride Parade

Willphillips

The amazing 10-year-old Will Phillips will serve as Grand Marshal for the Northwest Arkansas Gay Pride parade in Fayetteville this weekend.

Phillips made headlines in November of last year for refusing to say the Pledge of Allegiance at his school until all Americans had full equality. Since then he has traveled the country, accepted a GLAAD award, and recorded PSAs for activist group GetEQUAL.

One great kid.

Watch Will's interview about Pride for KFSM, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. This young man is a class act.

Posted by: Brian | Jun 22, 2010 10:55:13 AM

2. what i found dramatically telling was the reporter referring to will as a CIVIL RIGHTS ACTIVIST, not a gay rights advocate, and with complete sincerity. she clearly didn't seem to think the issue was anything BUT a civil rights issue. THAT is measurable progress.

Posted by: jack | Jun 22, 2010 11:04:40 AM

3. If Will is the future, then the world is in better hands than I'd hoped.

Posted by: Jubal Harshaw | Jun 22, 2010 11:45:02 AM

4. This is a really sweet story.

OF COURSE -- if that Gay Pride Parade is anything like LA or NY or SF -- then let's consider what happens when a 10 year-old is in front of a long line of SEXUALLY PROVOCATIVE and PERFORMING and SIMULATING adults. It may not be appropriate - simply because he is a kid.

And of course -- that footage of Gays in leather thongs and bondage harness and the smiling ten year old boy in the foreground -- well that footage will be used for years to come.

Hope it's a more family friendly pride parade because this kids message is much more important than leather thongs and simulated sex -- which isn't the point -- but an undeniable portion of every pride parade I've ever been to.

Posted by: FULCRUM | Jun 22, 2010 3:07:47 PM

5. We have been in attendance at this parade for nearly 5 years now. Baby strollers and church groups involved. Fayetteville is an Atypical Southern town (historically known as the "Athens of the Ozarks") but up until this year we've never had POSTITIVE press coverage if we've had press coverage at ALL!! This is the front line in the battle to win the hearts and minds of the New South and WE NEED YOUR HELP!!! Our parade starts June 26th at 10 o'clock CST and we REALLY NEED a good turnout to help turn the tide here.

We are raising awareness and elevating the discussion about this but we could use all the help we can get. This same news agency 6 MONTHS AGO ran the headline "Local boy says pledge is lie" so these are recent gains that we need to consolidate.

Thanks for hearing me out and have a great day!!!

Posted by: Jay Phillips (Will's Father) | Jun 22, 2010 4:32:25 PM

6. is he gay?

Posted by: mike | Jun 22, 2010 11:41:19 PM

7. I don't think it's appropriate for a ten year old to be receiving this much media attention. It seems highly suspicious, and while I believe his parents should be commended for being supportive of his views, I question their motives for allowing him to become the focus of so much exposure. It's wonderful that someone Will's age is aware of discrimination, and wants to become an activist one day. But he lacks the maturity to understand the dangers or the responsibilities that come with being so outspoken about a controversial issue. His parents should be more protective, and less willing to sacrifice their son's security and privacy.

Posted by: Jay Croce | Jun 23, 2010 2:45:49 AM

8. Jay... It's me, jay. lol!

I appreciate your concern but we are VERY concerned with his security & privacy. That's why we only have done the media that matters. The stuff that is going to raise awareness and elevate the conversation. We support our son and are willing to let him speak but not if it makes him a celebrity. We've been very shrewd in keeping things under a low boil for the last half year. Notoriety is useful and can open doors. Fame is toxic and doubly so for a child.

As for the security. I've always felt that what other people might think/say/do in response is NOT a good reason for not standing up for your neighbor in need or for what you know is right.

have a wonderful day Jay,

jay

Posted by: jay phillips | Jun 23, 2010 6:30:13 AM

9. Jay, you have a wonderful kid there! You must be a pretty good dad. I'm glad to know you have taken the dangers of celebrity seriously. I think Will has the makings of a great future leader. Just keep him safe for now. He'll be making headlines later. I'm sure of it.

Posted by: Jay Croce | Jun 23, 2010 6:43:39 PM

10. Great to see this person fearlessly stand by their convictions.
    Sad we have to have a 10yr old child point out the obvious.
    Liberty and justice for all? Only when we truly believe there should be liberty and justice for all.

Posted by: flek | Jun 25, 2010 4:33:40 AM

11. @Jay Phillips (Will's Father)
    I hope you get to read this. Mr. Phillips I want to take this opportunity to congratulate you on raising such an amazing child. When I first saw Will on the Internet my jaw dropped.I could not believe the intelligence,conviction and bravery that Will possesses. It brought me to tears and that is very much out of my character. You and your wife are great parents.
    And that, Mr.Phillips, is the greatest compliment a person can receive.
    Please tell your son he is doing much more than I think he knows. And I am very grateful that your family is in this world.
    Michael Pace

Posted by: Mike In Philly | Jun 26, 2010 8:14:30 AM

12. Guess this is what happens when deviant sexual practices are legalized, laws are enacted to force the rest of us to accept a tiny minority groups filthy "lifestyle' as valid, and a ten year old boy is ruthlessly manipulated by two revolting parents to be a "gay rights" mouthpiece.

God help us all.