Fashion Men | Johnny Weir | News | PETA

Watch: Johnny Weir Taunts PETA with Look into His Furry Closet

Weir

Figure skater Johnny Weir switched to faux fur at last year's Olympics after threats of disruption from animal rights groups, but a new video for Bluefly.com may very well reignite their anger.

Said Weir in January: "I totally get the dirtiness of the fur industry and how terrible it is to animals. But it's not something that's the No. 1 priority in my life. There are humans dying everyday. There are thousands if not millions of homeless people in New York City. Look at what just happened in Haiti. I tend to focus my energy, if there is a cause, on humans. While that may be callous and bad of me, it's my choice."

In the new "Closet Confessions" video for Bluefly, Weir declares his love for fur, showing off a collection of his clothes made of python, beaver, fox, lynx, and a Balenciaga "tree" of leather bags.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Sorry, Johnny, as Dr, House says, humanity is overrated.

Posted by: Lars | Jun 29, 2010 2:25:04 PM

2. No one is asking him to make it a priority in his life, just not to spend money supporting it. It's a pretty optional thing. I'm pretty sure he doesn't need fur to survive.

And if he is always going to through up these other causes in vain, he better be doing some good in those areas and not just using other peoples tragedies as a way of supporting his fashion choices.

Posted by: carl canthony | Jun 29, 2010 2:27:38 PM

3. I'm hard pressed to tell who is the more needy, PETA or Weir.

Posted by: Jubal Harshaw | Jun 29, 2010 2:31:39 PM

4. Peta attacks the use of animals for the use of a cure for AIDS or Cancer, fuck the little rabbits, I'm for using the board of Peta for tests.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Jun 29, 2010 2:32:22 PM

5. How in the world does he afford all that stuff? I don't follow figure skating, but I thought he had few or no endorsements, and I know he got nixed for that one skating tour.

Maybe the companies just give him the stuff? That's got to be it, because he's got a fortune in clothes in what looks to be a modest apartment.

It all seems a little sad, like he's in a self-obsessed little bubble and hopefully someday he'll realize what life is really about. I certainly can't see him in a relationship, since he seems to only care about himself. And I say that as someone who is amused and impressed by his attitude most of the time.

Posted by: Paul R | Jun 29, 2010 2:41:20 PM

6. Whatever, I don't care about this person. Although his argument is of the most annoying kind. Its like when people say "why do people care about gay marriage when there are people STARVING in other countries?" Its a clever way to both downplay one issue while appearing to be more compassionate about another. Its both an insult that implies YOU DON'T CARE about anything else but the current topic at hand, and that by contrast I DO CARE about something more important simultaneously. Gag. "HOW DARE YOU SAY I SHOULDN'T WEAR A COAT OF DEAD PUPPIES, SOMEWHERE THERE'S A CHILD BEING BEATEN!" No Johnny, I am not in awe of your compassion for suffering humans, especially when you obviously use it to excuse yourself from having any responsibility whatsoever on other issues. If you don't give a shit about the animals just say so, don't bring 'suffering humans' into it like a fucking jackass. BTW I hate PETA.

Posted by: Wes | Jun 29, 2010 2:41:43 PM

7. I can't imagine a more empty head.

Posted by: Randy | Jun 29, 2010 2:50:09 PM

8. Again we see gays and animal cruelty go hand in hand. This femmy little thing is an idiot. As though caring about people and caring about animals is mutually exclusive?

Posted by: JT | Jun 29, 2010 2:50:35 PM

9. Johnny Weird annoys the shit out of me.

Posted by: Robert | Jun 29, 2010 2:56:21 PM

10. i'm opposed to the use of fur-i mean c'mon. how many small creatures does it take to make one of those coats? it's just not practical and it's totally wasteful AND little furry things have to die for it.

on the other hand, there are numerous other, worthier animal rights groups around than PETA who seem to grow more embarrasing every year with their ridiculous antics (yes, antics because that is what they are).

Posted by: alguien | Jun 29, 2010 2:59:19 PM

11. Alguien : I agree PETA is ridiculous. I don't even consider them a legitimate animal rights group. But as far as fur coats go, the animals used for them are killed in such gruesome ways (generally in some kind of anal manner, like anal electrocution) so as not to destroy the pelt, that I'd actually get the creeps putting one on.

Posted by: JT | Jun 29, 2010 3:04:52 PM

12. Here's a thought, you could have used the money you spent on that fur and given it to a homeless shelter or similar organisation. If you realize the fur industry is dirty why do you support it? It's like saying, "Yeah I know I shouldn't have killed that man, but there are so many starving children in Africa." You can't participate in an evil because there are other possibly worse evils in the world and then expect to be forgiven.

Posted by: Matt McD | Jun 29, 2010 3:06:23 PM

13. alguien, the humane society is one of the highest rated animal charities on charitynavigator.com. That website tells you what percentage of donations actually go to helping the cause, and which goes to staff, executives, marketing, etc. The Humane Society is the way to go if you actually want your money to help animals and not just pull media stunts. PETA is actually counterproductive to helping animals IMO by giving the cause a bad name

Posted by: Wes | Jun 29, 2010 3:09:23 PM

14. I generally find Johnny Weir entertaining enough, but - assuming that what he's stated here is not solely a superficial justification for his shopping tendences and that he therefore does actually invest himself into humanitarian causes - his argument is still incredibly flawed: Stating that there may be a worse evil in the world than that in which one oneself is participating does not give oneself the license to participate in that lesser evil freely of all responsbility. To this effect as a policy, anyone could freely participate in anything as long as it would be less pernicious than an alternative, which one could at least proclaim that one has a stake in diminishing as a 'more worthwhile' ethical protector. I hope that in the future Johnny will take an honest responsbility for his actions and not just continue to slough that responsibiility off under the specious guise of 'more worthwhile/urgent/pressing' causes and personal arbitrary discriminations (viz., "While that may be callous and bad of me, it's my choice."). (It'd be awfully better PR.)

Posted by: V. | Jun 29, 2010 3:14:03 PM

15. Remember girls, if something annoys you about a person, it most likely something about yourself. Wisdom.
    My fear is that without ice skating miss weir is simply going to become another little queen. The Sundance documentary was very interesting and he came across as a very funny, even sexy guy. Here, he is reduced to youtube emptiness of the insignificant issue (in light of so many more important worldly issues) of wearing fur. Kill the hunters and while your at it, give up your computer, stop drinking milk and stop hurting the plants.

Posted by: Visitor | Jun 29, 2010 3:14:48 PM

16. Wes is absolutely right. PETA was somewhat effective in the 80s (I became a vegetarian briefly), but since then it's probably actually encouraged more people to eat meat and wear fur as a fuck you gesture to its absurd statements and activities.

Posted by: Paul R | Jun 29, 2010 3:16:26 PM

17. I love Johnny's F.U. attitude toward PETA, and in general.

Posted by: Sam | Jun 29, 2010 3:22:39 PM

18. He is like.....ewwww! Why is he one of us??!

Posted by: Planter | Jun 29, 2010 3:22:40 PM

19. Johnny's terrific and I love him. You should watch BE GOOD JOHNNY WEIR on Sundance Channel and see why.

Posted by: Jimmy | Jun 29, 2010 3:24:39 PM

20. visitor, if genocide annoys some people, then it's a problem that they have with themselves? Because that's what the fur industry has been committing for quite some time. Anyway, you're hardly worth taking seriously.

Now on to the paul reubens lookalike.

I've never understood why people brackett needless, perventable suffering of other organisms (human or non)...and encourage and perpetrate it. How is different: people are easily controlled as reason is rare. I guess the best excuse I've ever heard from an individual's perspective as to why they can disregard the suffering of others for whatever reason is that it's not their suffering, and that somehow makes it different...myth of the individual. Not much of an argument from them...and, if anything, reveals the widespread defectiveness of members of our species.

Posted by: TANK | Jun 29, 2010 3:26:26 PM

21. Tank from Queerty? The man with an opinion on EVERYTHING? I should have known.

Posted by: Visitor | Jun 29, 2010 3:30:05 PM

22. Disgusting.

Posted by: stolidog | Jun 29, 2010 3:30:55 PM

23. I don't find the fact that he likes fur disgusting, but this ad is kinda...ugh...

Posted by: Cody | Jun 29, 2010 3:35:35 PM

24. I find his comments sickening. I hope people don't associate him with the LGBT community. How heartless and calous can he be. I can only hope he can reflect upon his attitudes and change for the better and become a positive role model.

Posted by: David Comfort | Jun 29, 2010 3:40:32 PM

25. Visitor, sparing animals from unnecessary massive suffering for the sake of superficial wares may be insignificant to you just as fighting for gay marriage is insignificant to most people. Its all about where we draw our subjective lines, there will always be more pressing "worldly issues" but personally, if I had to choose between ending the sadistic industry of abusing animals to amuse elite narcissists and getting marriage rights I'd go with the animals, no question. Its why I laughed when folks complained how animals had more rights than gays after prop 2 and 8 passed in CA, because gays don't have the right to be in a cage that allows them to simply move.

Posted by: Wes | Jun 29, 2010 3:42:44 PM