Grindr | News | Washington DC

Watch: Washington Examiner Uses Grindr to Try and Prove Government is a Hotbed of Gay Action

Grindr

UPDATED: New, second report...

A Washington Examiner reporter attempts to use Grindr to prove there's gay hooking up going on in Congress, the White House, and the Pentagon, but doesn't end up proving much.

Writes one YouTube commenter: "Darling, you should use this application and find yourself a best gay friend. You are in need of one, you need lots of tips. Specially in how to be a better person. You suck! And not in a good gay way."

And really, isn't this investigation more suitable for Peter LaBarbera?

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Here's that second report:

Comments

1. Look into her face --- that is the face of evil.

If this was Nazi Germany she would be prodding sticks into the corner of attacks to find the evil Jews.

Posted by: Walter | Jun 4, 2010 2:41:35 PM

2. She sounds like MARKDC. OMG, she IS MARKDC!

Posted by: JohnInManhattan | Jun 4, 2010 2:42:52 PM

3. That was just so poorly done.

Posted by: Paul R | Jun 4, 2010 2:50:12 PM

4. The Washington Examiner is a local conservative newspaper rag. They had them out for free at the metro and if I ever accidentally accept one, I drop it in the nearest recycling bin.

Posted by: KFLO | Jun 4, 2010 2:56:26 PM

5. This has a lock on the Pulitzer for in-depth investigative reporting.

It would be amusing if someone in DC used Grindr near the Washington Examiner offices. and reported their results.

Posted by: bcarter3 | Jun 4, 2010 3:02:10 PM

6. dumb bitch

Posted by: John | Jun 4, 2010 3:04:34 PM

7. So she discovered that the gays are everywhere. Wow that's breaking news...

Posted by: Todd in NYC | Jun 4, 2010 3:07:16 PM

8. maybe she learned it by watching us doing the same thing to each other?
    the not-so-warm or positive gay blog thisisfyf.com regularly exposes guys who use grindr in and around NYC in postings called GRINDRSCAPES.
    of course there are those who argue that people are putting themselves out there on a public phone application and should expect to be seen by other people. is it just me, or is there not a difference in choosing to put a profile on grindr and having that profile plastered on a blogsite without your consent? it just seems a nasty way to treat our gay brothers to treat each other.
    at least the reporter above wasn't showing the pictures in her story and making it a game to guess the 'hood they were hooking up in.

Posted by: Brian | Jun 4, 2010 3:08:13 PM

9. Wow, there are so many inconsistencies. As a regular user of GrindR, I can tell you that it's not accurate, and most of the men it loads on the screen haven't been on-line in days. She acts like it's an accurate GPS queer locator. What a !@#$%^ she is.

Posted by: dennis | Jun 4, 2010 3:10:22 PM

10. uhm, that could possibly be the dumbest thing I've seen in a while. Can I sue that chipmunked faced girl for wasting about three minutes of my life? I think some of brain died while that was running.

Does she get paid for that? I need a job where I can be an ass-clown and get paid. Is the Washington-Whatever hiring?

Posted by: Bart | Jun 4, 2010 3:25:50 PM

11. Aside from the Cable Access quality of the on air "talent," the dumb bitch doesn't know how to use Grindr.

Posted by: qjersey | Jun 4, 2010 4:28:56 PM

12. Funded by this guy:

Posted by: Chris | Jun 4, 2010 5:21:58 PM

13. Her thought bubble must go something like this: "Like, Ohmigod, you guys. So, like, my totes awesome, like, in-depth investigation is getting sooo many hits, you guys! I am so gonna win, like, so many awards for this. My high school teachers said I would never be a serious, like, journalismist, but look at me now! Ooh and look, my iPhone totally has ah-mazing reception here! Wow, I'm surprised so many gays have the iPhone. I mean, isn't this thingy, like, expensive?!"

Posted by: MLQ | Jun 4, 2010 5:28:38 PM

14. I use Grindr all to time to chat and it doesn't just show you people right by you, there are times the thing has my location off by miles. And then it loads guys by order of how close they are, some of them can be miles away. I know I was talking to a guy the other day that was 170 miles away.

Posted by: Jeff in Orlando | Jun 4, 2010 6:51:08 PM

15. "Darling, you should use this application and find yourself a best gay friend. You are in need of one, you need lots of tips. Specially in how to be a better person. You suck! And not in a good gay way."

Best. Comment. Ever.
    At least in relation to the Sassy Gay Friend videos.

Posted by: ravewulf | Jun 4, 2010 7:32:19 PM

16. Metro Weekly fires back at the DC Examiner here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryvk8c5jbD4

Posted by: Aram Vartian | Jun 4, 2010 8:49:44 PM

17. This video is incredibly stupid (as many people have noted). It will be interesting to see what the fallout will be. For example, how many people are grinding at the following places in DC - Republican National Committee, The Washington Examiner (the newpaper that published this), the Heritage Foundation, the Conservative Political Action Committee, etc. They conservative Examiner has opened a door they may regret.

Or there may be a big rush of people removing this application from their phones. After the murder of Brian Betts is is surprising that people would still be using this.

Posted by: Charlie | Jun 4, 2010 9:29:09 PM

18. Oh, look, the next Republican vice presidential candidate. Oooo, we were there first!

Posted by: woodroad34d | Jun 4, 2010 9:59:50 PM

19. I guess it is as easy to get press credentials at the Obama WH as it was for James Guckert in the Bush one. I thought they only gave them to real journalists

Posted by: Mike | Jun 4, 2010 10:00:58 PM

20. And I was so looking forward to the Big Bus zooming in from the left....

sadly disappointed

^^X^^

Posted by: Bruce Wayne | Jun 5, 2010 1:57:13 AM

21. "When I apply generous loads of cosmetics on my face, and wear a semi-ethnic neck wrap while implicitly insulting gays, I really hope that people will focus less on my unattractive qualities and more on how politicians are gay. And how they're gay secretly on the iPhone, not because of societal disapproval and marginalization, but because of the illicit nature of such chosen behavior. 'Dense biggotry, there's an app for that'."

Posted by: Joseph Taylor | Jun 5, 2010 5:33:34 AM

22. "This is Tara Polmeri reporting from any major building in D.C., making the most of my college drama major, mistaking banal cyber world developments for news. Maybe youtube will jumpstart my political career. The internet is the future of politics? I SO uncovered gay iPhone activity, this is so groundbreaking."

Posted by: Joseph Taylor | Jun 5, 2010 5:46:05 AM

23. "this video has been removed by the user". LMAO!

Posted by: Scott | Jun 5, 2010 6:35:17 AM

24. It was only removed because we moved it over to the Metro Weekly channel. It's at this link now:

Posted by: Randy Shulman | Jun 5, 2010 11:38:56 AM

25. while this video is heavy on the stupid for a "newspaper", it's not offensive - she goes out of her way to avoid saying that grindr is where we go to find a two-sentence hookup and bills it simply as a way to see how gays are connected to positions of power - is it bad that there are gays in the congress? in the white house? in the pentagon? no! moreover, I should point out that cell phones and unsecured networks don't work in the pentagon - she's reading something else... admittedly, I haven't seen the follow-up report.

Posted by: dwight | Jun 6, 2010 2:16:28 AM