Georgia | Karen Handel | News | Republican Party

BigGayDeal.com

Georgia GOP Gubernatorial Candidate Karen Handel: Gays are Not Legitimate Parents

Gay adoption and domestic partnerships have taken center stage in Georgia's GOP gubernatorial primary, as the AJC's Jim Galloway notes:

Handel "State Insurance Commissioner John Oxendine, former congressman Nathan Deal, and former state senator Eric Johnson are all pointing to former secretary of state Karen Handel’s history on those particular issues."

Handel, Georgia's former Secretary of State, is against gay marriage, civil unions, and gay adoption.

He points to a contentious interview Handel did with 11Alive in which she proudly spews her bigotry, which you can watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Q: Frequently, folks in the Legislature kind of threaten to — there are always rumblings in the Legislature that they may outlaw gay adoptions. You’re against gay adoption.

A: I am against gay adoption. But remember — I mean, if there is legislation on that, certainly I will follow that and look at it. But in the end, ultimately courts are going to be the ones to have to make the decision on that and it’s always in the best interests of the child. Do I think that gay parents is in the best interest of the child? No. But we do have our court system that deals with many and most of those issues.

Q: Would you favor outlawing gay adoptions?

A: Yeah, I would consider that, absolutely.

Q: Do you know any gay couples with children?

A: Not that I’m aware of.

Q: So you think gay couples are less qualified to function as parents than straight couples?

A: I think that for a child to be in a household — in a family in a household with a situation where the parents are not married, as in one man and one woman, is not the best household for a child.

Q: Is it better or worse than a single parent household?

A: Doug, I’m really trying to be straightforward with you but I’m not going to debate all the nuances. I’ve made it abundantly clear that I think that marriage is between a man and a woman. And that’s what I believe, and I don’t know what more you would like me to add to that.

Q: I guess I want to know why you think gay parents aren’t as legitimate as heterosexual parents.

A: Because I don’t.

And that last line just nails it on the head. She's an outright bigot.

Watch the interview, AFTER THE JUMP...

Deal just produced a TV ad attacking Handel on just those issues. Watch it,
AFTER THE JUMP...

Deal

Karen Handel interview:

The Nathan Deal ad:

Comments

1. Why can't people understand that I don't give a fuck what their bible says?

Posted by: Alhamr | Jul 15, 2010 10:44:07 AM

2. Andy, just to be clear, Karen Handel is Georgia's FORMER Secretary of State.

What's sad is she really did used to be a moderate on gay issues 10 or more years ago, but she's had to re-brand herself as a bigot in order to run for Governor.

Posted by: ColinATL | Jul 15, 2010 10:45:53 AM

3. She looks like Suzanne Sugarbaker!

Posted by: Joe | Jul 15, 2010 10:55:16 AM

4. Better questions- how can you trust someone endorsed by Newt Gingrich?

Posted by: Dolly | Jul 15, 2010 10:56:45 AM

5. I love that. The ideal parents are married and straight. They never specify any further criteria for good parenting.
    I firmly believe that happy gay partners make better parents than angry straight spouses.
    But then I'm just the child of the latter, so what would I know?

Posted by: G | Jul 15, 2010 10:58:39 AM

6. The ease with which she makes such profoundly ignorant public statements makes me question her legitimacy as a politician; the rigidity of her beliefs, combined with with her apparent disinterest in acquiring any education whatsoever regarding matters she feels qualified to help decide make me question her legitimacy as a person.

Posted by: ElCamino | Jul 15, 2010 10:59:14 AM

7. Hah! A rapist and a murderer can have a baby, as long as one is a female and one is a male, nobody cares.

Posted by: Alhamr | Jul 15, 2010 11:00:17 AM

8. Do women in Georgia still dress "professional" like that?

I know its not right; I know it may set us back; I know that nonviolence is the answer, but I ask you why aren't people throwing eggs and tomatoes at her head when she appears in public?

Posted by: Roland | Jul 15, 2010 11:03:41 AM

9. I sometimes wonder if these homophobes realize how much they are despised. I would be more than happy to let them know.

Posted by: candideinnc | Jul 15, 2010 11:03:41 AM

10. Her logic is seamless: I don't like it therefore it's wrong and therefore I don't need to say anything more on the subject. THE EMPRESS HAS SPOKEN!

She totally sidestepped the question on adoption by stating drivel about marriage. In any case, two gay parents are better than any single parent or a totally fucked up set of straight parents or absentee parents. This has nothing to do with marriage, it has everything to do with adoption and she is one ignorant and typical repug politician.

Posted by: johnny | Jul 15, 2010 11:05:26 AM

11. Be fair. After all, Republicans aren't legitimate human beings.

Posted by: jomicur | Jul 15, 2010 11:06:19 AM

12. Let the damn state re-secede, if they're going to take this attitude. Here in the rest of the country, we ostensibly believe in a thing called the Bill of Rights. (Oh, right, conservatives only support "freedom" and less government until it bumps up against a social issue they don't like, like abortion or gay rights; then it's, "We need laws outlawing this!")

Posted by: Dback | Jul 15, 2010 11:06:54 AM

13. Karen Handel just inspired me to buy this:

Posted by: Tom S. | Jul 15, 2010 11:11:01 AM

14. What a horrible, horrible person.

I'm hoping that someone, somewhere is stockpiling all the hateful, pathetic remarks being made by these career politicians that play on people's ignorance and fear of the unknown.

She should be ashamed of herself. Does she think this is what Jesus would say?

How very Christian of her.

Posted by: James | Jul 15, 2010 11:28:00 AM

15. If I understand the ad by Nathan Deal correctly he's saying that she used to be pro-gay rights, now she's not, therefore he's the better candidate because he's been consistently anti-gay rights? Pathetic.

Posted by: adam harmon | Jul 15, 2010 11:37:11 AM

16. @Adam Harmon: exactly. A pox on both their houses.

I frigging hate the South...

Posted by: Rich | Jul 15, 2010 11:56:21 AM

17. Q: Is it better or worse than a single parent household?

Nuances? In other words, you can't answer the question because it would expose you as a homophobic bigot. Single parent households only have ONE parent. The child is growing up without a parent. But she doesn't have a fundamental problem with THAT situation, even though it is in direct conflict with her "A child needs a mom and a dad" position. I am so sick of these ignorant assholes.

Posted by: David in Houston | Jul 15, 2010 12:03:00 PM

18. why don't this GOP southern candidates just come right out and save themselves some money on ads....

"Im a southern Bigot,and I hate everything about gays,and I can Thump my BuyBull loudest..Now vote for me"

Posted by: Disgusted American | Jul 15, 2010 12:07:50 PM

19. I think being a fat bigoted bitch is bad for raising children.

Posted by: John M | Jul 15, 2010 12:09:41 PM

20. Is this the Georgia that was part of the Soviet Union? What great choices the people have for their next governor.

Posted by: justiceontherocks | Jul 15, 2010 12:13:06 PM

21. As a life long gay southerner let me give you the breakdown on these "usual suspects"

Oxendine - a snake oil salesman that ALL the local news stations are throwing dirt at. He is reviled, unliked, and unethicial. The first thing he did that I took note of as being... squirrely was when he required Insurance Agents (as he is the former Insurance Commissioner) to attend a workshop where they were directed to the teachings of Jesus. Apparently, no other faith's teachings were expressed, but on top of that I have no idea WHAT religion has to do with Insurance unless they were defining "Acts of God" he's running on the infamous "no income tax" bandwagon.. which means I have no clue how the state facing constant 18 million dollar shortfalls are going to pay for their services....

Handel - A woman who is painting herself very Palinesque and has been for a while. She said what she had to say to get elected in an urban setting and now she's saying what she needs to say to get elected across the state, moving herself firmly from pro-gay to anti-gay. She's pandering to the least common denomninator in order to get those votes. So, in doing so, in my mind has made her an unprincipled opportunitst and someone who would throw their friends under the bus if it helped her achieve her ambitions.

Deal - Is currently under ethics investigations... Nuff said.

the other candidates in the running have no hope of catching the 3 top runners and are at best a footnote in the race at this point.

So yes, which of the three of these colossal asshats do you vote for in the GOP primary? heh.

Posted by: Darren | Jul 15, 2010 12:29:59 PM

22. My favorite response is from one of my favorite authors who also happens to be Christian: "You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do."

Something Ms. Handel is apparently unable to consider....

Posted by: Jim Fotter | Jul 15, 2010 12:45:33 PM

23. She is Dissapointed? "Remember Doug we invited you aboard our Bigot Bus" It's good to know this lady will rot in hell one day.

Posted by: Timx101 | Jul 15, 2010 1:22:01 PM

24. What planet do these IDIOTS live on?
    Anything for name recognition,media attention and "controversy".
    She can take her Sally Field innocent appearance and her fake xian smile and go have some sex with her closeted lesbian lover. :)
    Wow. Just wow.

Posted by: SFshawn | Jul 15, 2010 1:25:08 PM

25. @ John M: Good point, I live in GA, and I am pretty sure she does NOT have children. I want to ask why her childless marriage is entitled to recongition, but my marriage with children is not. I am checking her travel schedule.

Posted by: DLB in ATL | Jul 15, 2010 1:42:25 PM