Lindsey Graham | News | South Carolina

Senator Lindsey Graham (R-SC): 'I Ain't Gay' and I'm Not Having 'a Clandestine Affair with Ricky Martin'

Graham

In a new NYT profile by Robert Draper, Senator Lindsey Graham denies the gay rumors:

"For his sins, Glenn Beck termed the senator Obama Lite, while Rush Limbaugh labeled him Lindsey Grahamnesty. Less tame are the blogosphere monikers, like 'Miss Lindsey,' that play off of Graham’s never-married status. During a South Carolina Tea Party rally this spring, one speaker created an uproar by postulating that Graham supported a guest-worker program out of fear that the Democrats might otherwise expose his homosexuality. (Graham smirked when I brought this up. 'Like maybe I’m having a clandestine affair with Ricky Martin,' he said. 'I know it’s really gonna upset a lot of gay men — I’m sure hundreds of ’em are gonna be jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge — but I ain’t available. I ain’t gay. Sorry.')"

And it ain't his first time at this rodeo, either.

(via ben smith)

Comments

1. Giving credit where credit is due... Graham's pretty funny right here.

Posted by: NovaNardis | Jul 1, 2010 1:10:50 PM

2. Oh, girl please!

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Jul 1, 2010 1:13:37 PM

3. Never trust a politician that says, "ain't".

Posted by: David | Jul 1, 2010 1:18:01 PM

4. Just go to any small town "southern-feeling" church in america and there will be at least two guys like Mr. Graham here smiling waiting to shake your hand.

Why do we associate people who look and sound like him as gay? Lots of gay bars have old queens that seem like him. What is the cause of that behavior, does it come from gay people and is therefore a indicator of gay?

FUCK NO, don't be an idiot. The best way I have ever heard it was this: Being flamboyant and catty and queeny and over the top is a reaction to being so happy and free to be who you are around others who are also free.

So maybe Mr. Graham is just like those super happy church people, HAPPY (or gay! :) )

Posted by: Fenrox | Jul 1, 2010 1:19:41 PM

5. Whatever, girl.

Posted by: Alexander | Jul 1, 2010 1:21:04 PM

6. Really funny. I love when people who possess no wit always aim for the obvious. People are accusing him of gayness so his inner rolodex flips to "Ricky Martin" and "San Francisco."
    That said, sorry, those big chompers have chewed more than a couple of balls in his time.
    Sad, lonely self-loathing queen.
    GAYFACE! GAYFACE! GAYFACE!

Posted by: TPL | Jul 1, 2010 1:21:49 PM

7. Apparently he's got a little ricky crush. How...disturbing. the most salient takeaway in assessing the veracity of his affirmation is that if he is gay, would he be honest and come out in a NYT article? Nooooooo...puh.

I hope jimmy lasalvia pulls a murder suicide...

Posted by: TANK | Jul 1, 2010 1:22:44 PM

8. Methinks Ms. Graham doth protest too much.

Posted by: FML | Jul 1, 2010 1:27:27 PM

9. "...but I ain’t available. I ain’t gay." ...said the man that clearly looks gay. I think he has G.R.S.™ -- George Rekers Syndrome: As long as I don't have sex with a man then I'm not actually gay.

Posted by: David in Houston | Jul 1, 2010 1:29:14 PM

10. Jumping off the GG Bridge is not something to joke about....

Posted by: wonderer | Jul 1, 2010 1:33:22 PM

11. "I'm Not Having 'a Clandestine Affair with Ricky Martin"

Thank God for small mercies!

Posted by: Matt | Jul 1, 2010 1:37:18 PM

12. He is absolutely correct. Gay is a self-affirmative identity label. Closet cases tend not to cultivate qualities like integrity and self-respect... they are different animals entirely.

Posted by: Josh | Jul 1, 2010 1:38:00 PM

13. The clinical term for Graham's behavior is MSM because many men who have sex with other men refuse to call themselves gay.

Posted by: anon | Jul 1, 2010 1:41:49 PM

14. whatever lifts his luggage.

Posted by: TANK | Jul 1, 2010 1:44:16 PM

15. The Golden Gate Bridge?? Yea Senator..San Francisco..that's where all of the "gays" live, right?
    I am sure there are plenty in the DC area..perhaps you know a few..just look in the mirror Senator..your gaydar will go off the charts!

Posted by: JamesStone | Jul 1, 2010 1:46:26 PM

16. Interesting - that he's got the hots for Ricky Martin! And it took Ricky a verrry long time to come out of the closet too :)

Posted by: Observer1000 | Jul 1, 2010 1:47:57 PM

17. Whatever, Mary... keep telling yourself that.

Posted by: Rich | Jul 1, 2010 1:49:28 PM

18. He doesn't look like a gay man...he looks like a lesbian

Posted by: Jack | Jul 1, 2010 1:54:27 PM

19. Yea, funny how for someone who isn't gay to mention an affair with Ricky Martin??? Wishful thinking on his part. I don't think Ricky will be breaking HIS door down anytime soon!

Posted by: james Brown | Jul 1, 2010 1:55:23 PM

20. He is totally and completely out of touch with reality if he thinks ANYBODY would jump off ANY bridge because of a missed opportunity to be with him.

Posted by: Bryant | Jul 1, 2010 2:05:33 PM

21. Is that the South Carolina version of 'I have not had sexual relations with that woman'? Somewhere, blue t-shirts are being pulled from deep within the closets...

Posted by: hugo | Jul 1, 2010 2:06:06 PM

22. He's effeminate for sure. However, not all gay men are effeminate. I think it would have more interesting if he was asked, "You are obviously very effeminate, Sen. Graham, does that mean you are you gay, as well?"

Posted by: William | Jul 1, 2010 2:07:45 PM

23. POOR GUY ... being gay was, potentially, his only redeeming feature.

Posted by: mikey | Jul 1, 2010 2:09:04 PM

24. This is exactly what an unattached, older politician closet-case would say. On the other hand, it doesn't prove anything either. I found the comment to be quite self-effacing actually.

Posted by: Bruno | Jul 1, 2010 2:35:42 PM

25. First we had "hiking the Appalachian trail" and now this. South Carolina -- the gift that keeps on giving.

Posted by: Rick S. | Jul 1, 2010 2:36:07 PM