Clay Aiken | Don't Ask, Don't Tell | Military | News

Watch: Clay Aiken and 'The View' Ladies Discuss the DADT Survey

View

Clay Aiken and the ladies of The View discussed the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" survey mailed out by the Pentagon yesterday, and its inquiry into showering with fellow soldiers. Opinions fell along familiar lines.

Sherri Shepherd wonders if there is going to be counseling for those scared to go into the showers.

Asks Aiken, "You need to be counseled to take a shower?"

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I like that it ends with Elizabeth saying, "One of his best shooters was a gay man..."

Posted by: Alan | Jul 13, 2010 7:09:21 PM

2. Wow. I think Clay had more to say than Eric Roberts when he was on the View. Nice going Clay! Sherri Shepherd needs to leave already. Her response to Clay's retort was juvenile.

Posted by: Joel | Jul 13, 2010 7:16:23 PM

3. Elizabeth (and sometimes Sherry) makes my skin crawl and the reason why I stopped watching the show. It's ridiculous that they're having this survey. It's insulting.

Posted by: daws | Jul 13, 2010 7:22:28 PM

4. Clay did beautifully here.

As for Sherri and Elisabeth: chair-rocket them off the set immediately.

BTW: why do they talk over one another?

Posted by: veg | Jul 13, 2010 7:23:42 PM

5. I am so tired of hearing that our big strong soldiers are scared of gay men looking at their dicks, being hit on, or being sexually assaulted...and all the fears are about gay men...like lesbians don't exist.

Posted by: qjersey | Jul 13, 2010 7:28:00 PM

6. I agree Veg. I wish they had chairs like on the Graham Norton Show to flip Sherri over.

She's actually succeeded in becoming more annoying than Elizabeth.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jul 13, 2010 7:42:16 PM

7. Pity there's not this much waling, rending of vestments and gnashing of teeth over the harassment, abuse, rape, and institutionalized, systematic dehumanization that women endure at the hands of straight men in the military.

When women can serve safely, I'll worry about how bad the defenseless straight men have it...

Posted by: sfikus | Jul 13, 2010 7:53:07 PM

8. Almost daily Sherry makes me wish she wasn't Black. She's an ignoramus and just feeds all the stereotypes about Black homophobes.

Posted by: DEREK WASHINGTON | Jul 13, 2010 7:58:32 PM

9. WELL MY DEARS, YOU HAVE JUST GOT TO ACCEPT THE FACT THAT SOME STRAIGHT SOLDIERS ARE JUST NOT COMFORTABLE WITH BEING WITH GAY MEN LET ALONE SHOWERING WITH GAY MEN AND I DO FORSEE PROBLEMS WITH THIS.

BEST TO KEEP THE THINGS THE WAY THEY ARE, AFTER ALL ISN'T THE WHOLE POINT OF BEING IN THE MILITARY IS SO YOU CAN DIE GLORIOUSLY AND HONORABLY FOR YOUR COUNTRY AND NOT WHOSE COCK YOU CAN SUCK TONITE?

AS FOR MYSELF, I CERTAINLY COULD NOT KEEP MY EYES OFF ALL THAT MEAT AND WOULD ONLY BE TOO WILLING TO SERVICE -- OH, EXCUSE ME -- 'SERVE' MY FELLOW SOLDIERS IN ANY WAY I COULD, PREFERABLY ON ALL FOURS. DROP THE SOAP ANYONE?

Posted by: THE QUEEN | Jul 13, 2010 8:10:05 PM

10. ^ say what?

Posted by: Marc | Jul 13, 2010 8:16:52 PM

11. Oh 'The Queen' - we have not missed you. Just shut the fuck up already and go back under your pre-21st Century rock. You're nothing but an ignorant troll. Fuck off dipshit.

Posted by: wtf | Jul 13, 2010 8:18:12 PM

12. Um, you're afraid of showering with gays and still qualified to be in the military? Isn't a bullet scarier?

Posted by: David T | Jul 13, 2010 8:56:53 PM

13. The Queen has returned from exile? Someone fetch me my guillotine.

Posted by: crispy | Jul 13, 2010 9:45:25 PM

14. the problem with this survey that there was no scientific way of getting an actual control of the sampling what happens if it goes to 400 rednecks from the backwoods.plus
    400,000 for 4 branches is only 100,000 each branch. plus the question are really bad and open to many sterotypical beliefs of gays.

Posted by: walter | Jul 13, 2010 10:04:47 PM

15. sherry is a very oversizes bigoted badly dressed drag queen

Posted by: walter | Jul 13, 2010 10:08:51 PM

16. Joy to Elizabeth after her last comment: "And he used a gun really well too."

Posted by: tooboot | Jul 13, 2010 10:09:48 PM

17. I was in the military. Seeing as all of our showers were already single-person, shower-curtained affairs (with the exception of basic training), I fail to see the point of all of this gay panic.

And in basic, soldiers were too scared of the drill sergeants screaming at them to worry about other guys' cocks in the communal showers there.

If soldiers can't handle following orders, they have no business being in the military. And they shouldn't be given a survey to see if they like the orders.

Posted by: Kurt | Jul 13, 2010 10:14:31 PM

18. First off, this was an idiotic survey. When has anyone in the military ever asked an enlisted man (or woman) anything? Do they ask them where they want to serve? Do they ask them what they think of the food? And they ask them this???? Either the military is getting dumber or this was just stupid. I'm picking the later.

And second, there already ARE gays in the military. Lots of them. These men and women ARE showering together already. These men and women ARE dressing together already. The notion that openly gay men and women are going to...hell, I'm not sure what they think they're going to do...once they are open as opposed to not asking and not telling, is so on-its-face stupid, it's hard to justify even talking about it.

When did this country get so dumb? I'm accused of being a liberal elitist. What I am is someone who is tired of stupid and tired of ass-backwards thinkers. Let's move ahead and get the best people in the military rather than having some idiot who is more worried about whether or not someone is glancing at his penis than he is about doing his job.

Posted by: Bart | Jul 13, 2010 10:30:10 PM

19. Derek Washington : But it's not like the white ladies on The View are any great brains either.

Posted by: JT | Jul 14, 2010 12:05:25 AM

20. Ah the shower....and the fear that some poor hick straight boy will be "approached" by a lusting homosexual....give me a F'ing break. just what makes that hick boy think he is all that in the first place. Unless his dick is the size of his ego, he ain't got thing one to worry about...next question please

Posted by: david in iowa | Jul 14, 2010 12:12:02 AM

21. Actually, David, I think some "hick straight boys" ARE totally all that. But that doesn't mean guys can't control themselves in the shower. I think a lot of people don't realize the types of homosexuals who join the military in the first place will be a different breed from your average ghetto "gay" type.

Posted by: JT | Jul 14, 2010 12:18:36 AM

22. And the suggestion that straight guys only have to worry if they're well-endowed is a little crass.

Posted by: JT | Jul 14, 2010 12:21:36 AM

23. More crass than the term "ghetto gay?"

Posted by: Please | Jul 14, 2010 2:11:37 AM

24. If I saw Sherry in the shower, I'D need counseling.

Posted by: LG Wilson | Jul 14, 2010 4:14:27 AM

25. JT's use of the word "ghetto" is not referring to anything about race, the word ghetto is not racist per se, especially when combined with gay. It only means where there are a bunch of the same type of people living in a crowded space in a city. See: Folsom St, SF.

I agree with JT, any gay that is joining the military is a totally different type of gay with very different values and roots than a typical bar-hopping, clothes-shopping, man-stopping gay. We have many types within the gay community, or did people forget that?

The elephant in the room is the fact that even after DADT is repealed, VERY FEW soldiers will come out or will want to be identified as gay. It's simply not how most gay soldiers are wired.

And Sherri isn't stupid, she definitely is ignorant, however.

Posted by: johnny | Jul 14, 2010 7:15:53 AM