Film and TV | Television

BigGayDeal.com

Gay 90210 Hunk Revealed

90210
Last month, Andy posted an item that revealed one of the hunky male characters on 90210 would come out of the closet this upcoming season. Speculation focused on characters played by actors Matt Lanter, Michael Steger and Trevor Donovan. Well, Zap2it claims they have received confirmation on who it will be from "a source close to the production."

I've posted the answer AFTER THE JUMP for those fans of the show who don't want the surprise ruined.

T

It's Trevor Donovan's character, Teddy Montgomery. Kyle Riabko, who took over for Jonathan Groff in Spring Awakening, will play his love interest.

I've never seen the 90210 re-boot but I just might tune in, if only for this coming out episode.

Comments

1. Called it!!

And Jonathan Groff is his love interest? Sheesh, I don't know who to be jealous of...

Posted by: wirrrn | Aug 15, 2010 6:51:17 AM

2. This is going to sound awful, but I was afraid they'd make the ugly one in the middle the gay character. That's not (just) an entirely superficial statement. I suspected they'd make it the middle guy because his looks seem "off" and that he'd be cast as some alt/arty/quirky/asexual guy who could be easily dismissed by the viewers. By making the gay character the one who looks something like a cross between the football quarterback and a superhero, they picked the most idealized male form (in a conventional way), the guy women swoon over and the guy other men secretly want to be. I'm glad they did!

Posted by: joe | Aug 15, 2010 6:52:29 AM

3. Whoops, I meant Kyle, not Jonathan. Still jealous of them both though!

Posted by: wirrrn | Aug 15, 2010 6:53:53 AM

4. Yes, Joe - thank goodness they picked the hairless Abercrombie model lookalike who's SO ruggedly masculine and will thus prove to the straight world that gays aren't just artsy, "ugly" asexual types. Except that he isn't ruggedly masculine. And woman probably swoon over him the same way they swoon over Lance Bass.

If the producers wanted to find a gay guy women could love and straight men could relate to (apparently a "straight-acting" jock type?) I'm sure the producers could do a lot better than this guy, who looks like he spends 95% of his time in front of a mirror, making sure his hair is tousled and his tan properly applied.

Posted by: PD | Aug 15, 2010 8:01:38 AM

5. Best looking of those three guys. I could imagine myself in the shower with him.

Posted by: Matt26 | Aug 15, 2010 9:16:41 AM

6. Well there goes Donovan's career.

(Protest all you want...it's true.)

Posted by: Rob G. | Aug 15, 2010 9:38:02 AM

7. Joe, I think I get what you were trying to say, but...wow. The "ugly" one in the middle? My two younger sisters, 17 and 22, both love the show (I'm 33, so it just seems like a screechier copy of the first one to me) and both swoon over the Navid character and actor, who has been a main character and romantic lead since the start of the show. He's not the "off" guy at all, from what I can tell. What he is NOT, is an Abercrombie twink, and what he is NOT, is white.

I actually think Teddy was the right choice and the actor seems to have the absolutely right attitude about playing him, but make no mistake, it would have been an even bigger and braver deal to have made one of the show's original, contract cast members (who is currently 1/2 of one of the show's big hetero couples), gay, than one of the newer, more ancillary characters who have a much greater chance of being written off if the writers lose interest.

I think what you said was...unfortunately worded, if well intended. And yes, it is great that they made the gay character a true leading man/romantic lead -- but if you'd watched the show, you'd know that Navid was those things already, too.

Posted by: breckroy | Aug 15, 2010 10:04:25 AM

8. PD honey, you sound bitter and jealous in that remark. (I kind of agree with you anyway though.)

Posted by: The Milkman | Aug 15, 2010 10:14:29 AM

9. Have to say I don't watch the show, but posting due to the "ugly guy in the middle comment"...I thought the guy in the middle WAS/IS the cutest! So much for ugly being in the eye of the beholder.

Posted by: Bobo | Aug 15, 2010 11:05:30 AM

10. @PD, have you ever watched this show? ALL of the actors on it, male and female, could be classified as model-types. Seems to me you still wouldn't have been happy if either of the other two were chosen to be the gay character.

Posted by: RJ | Aug 15, 2010 11:33:31 AM

11. Of course Frostilocks is the gay one...

Posted by: Matt | Aug 15, 2010 11:50:57 AM

12. Kyle Riabko... also a talented singer-songwriter.

Posted by: Randy | Aug 15, 2010 1:14:12 PM

13. What a scoop! AfterElton revealed this weeks ago

Posted by: JohnnyB | Aug 15, 2010 1:30:48 PM

14. Hey Milkman - I like my twinks as much as the next man! I just don't like this idea that in order to appeal to the straight crowd, gays have to fit into that exasperating A&F box to be palatable. That being said, I was up early due to a toothache and did somehow forget that this is "90210," and that the entire cast is bound to be airbrushed and blowdried into near-mummification. :-)

Posted by: PD | Aug 15, 2010 1:59:42 PM

15. I had the same thoughts as Joe.

Posted by: Vince in WeHo | Aug 15, 2010 2:13:06 PM

16. >thank goodness they picked the hairless >Abercrombie model lookalike who's SO >ruggedly masculine and will thus prove to >the straight world that gays aren't just >artsy, "ugly" asexual types.I'm sure the >producers could do a lot better than this >guy, who looks like he spends 95% of his >time in front of a mirror, making sure his >hair is tousled and his tan properly >applied.
    >Posted by: PD | Aug 15, 2010 8:01:38 AM

Translation: "I'm fat, ugly, pastyfaced, pimply, jealous, and bitter."

Posted by: GrabbinNewscum | Aug 15, 2010 2:47:44 PM

17. Joe: I'd love to see a realistic gay teenager on tv too but you're not going to see it on 90210. It's a fantasy show. If you want to see a more gritty portrayal of queer teenagers, check out Degrassi. Having said that, I might tune in just to see Kyle Riabko. That kid is not only beautiful but talented singer/songwriter who can sing the blues, plus he's from the Canadian Prairies like I am.

Posted by: scar2 | Aug 15, 2010 3:24:18 PM

18. sorry, my message was for PD.

Posted by: scar2 | Aug 15, 2010 3:25:42 PM

19. For whoever said "there goes his career," actors like Ryan Phillipe, Leonardo diCaprio, Billy Crystal, Michael C. Hall, Russell Crowe, etc. would disagree with you. All either started early or even began their major careers with prominent "gay" roles.

Posted by: bobbyjoe | Aug 15, 2010 8:03:38 PM

20. Good for Trevor.

It's funny, he was my student when I taught Typography in Santa Monica. (This was when he was Trevor Neubauer) He was a very cool guy but I'm glad he found something he's better at than type. Props to Trevor (though I'll miss him stretching in class and revealing very low shorts and that "V")

Posted by: M@ | Aug 15, 2010 9:09:01 PM