Gay Bar | New York | News

Activists Fight NYPD Closing of Christopher Street Gay Bar

Chichiz

Activists and civil rights lawyers are going to court on Thursday to fight the closing of Christopher Street bar Chi Chiz, which bills itself as "the only Black gay bar in New York City".

Page Six reports

"The police claim in Manhattan Supreme Court that on four instances in a six-month period, undercover officers witnessed the sale of marijuana, cocaine and other controlled substances in the bar, which opened 12 years ago. But Chi Chiz supporters say the crackdown's motivated by racism and homophobia in a community that's increasingly white, wealthy and worried about property values. 'These are the same people who forced the city to tear down the Women's House of Detention on Sixth Avenue and Christopher Street,' activist Allen Roskoff told Page Six. 'Manhattan so-called liberals are only so when it affects others. Otherwise, they cry 'quality of life' and 'not in my neighborhood.''"

Comments

1. Four instances in six months? Couldn't the cops have just arrested those selling the drugs? Of course, had they done that, they wouldn't have been able to shut down the bar in a lily white, straight neighborhood.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Aug 21, 2010 11:43:29 AM

2. So they nailed them for everything perceived as derogatory; black, drug dealers who are gay. Good thing they didn't have woman in there or they'd really be in trouble.

Posted by: Pete | Aug 21, 2010 11:45:53 AM

3. the doorman at a bar on my block (lower east side), sold drugs to two underage girls, one of which died. made headlines, tv, etc. closed by the powers that be, opened back up in a week.
    go figure.

Posted by: kodiak | Aug 21, 2010 11:55:45 AM

4. Obviously the correct thing to do would be to replace the bar with a mosque.

Posted by: Max | Aug 21, 2010 12:42:42 PM

5. I'm gay and live in the neighborhood and avoid that block because it's so unpleasant, esp. after dark. And I'm sure most others who live around it view the bar as a blight as well. If you don't live in this area it's easy to be self-righteous and bemoan the bar's closing. Perhaps you have a vacant building in your neighborhood you can offer for relocation?

Posted by: Rob | Aug 21, 2010 12:48:12 PM

6. @ROB: You just proved the Plaintiffs case.

Posted by: Derek Washington | Aug 21, 2010 12:53:09 PM

7. NIMBY strikes again!

Posted by: excy | Aug 21, 2010 1:21:22 PM

8. Oh how I heart Derek Washington. :o)

Posted by: Pete | Aug 21, 2010 1:22:29 PM

9. Oh, Rob, puhleeze. I lived a couple blocks from that bar for 13 years. Sure, it got a bit rowdy on the weekends, but it wasn't all that. Climb down.

Posted by: van | Aug 21, 2010 1:25:39 PM

10. Completely agree with Rob above. Until just recently, I worked in the neighborhood for years and would have to walk past this bar very late every single night. Over the years, I have seen all sorts of illegal drug activity going on very openly right out in front of Chi Chiz.

I don't live in the neighborhood, so I don't have anything to gain from this bar's closure. And I completely support gay nightlife. But I have witnessed the problems at Chi Chiz first hand many, many times -- they are serious problems, not just the occasional issues common at any other bar in the city.

This isn't a racial issue, and it's certainly not homophobia. (Actually, supporters' pulling the gay/race cards as a defense is kind of offensive.) This bar is just a blight on Christopher Street.

Posted by: D.B. | Aug 21, 2010 1:38:09 PM

11. That's why our community will never live in harmony. And for all you exports to NYC. Chi Chi's came along later to be the Black gay bar in New York City. That was originally owed to Killers of course which is no more. But the Actual Black gay Bar in NYC was The Starlite in Bklyn which just closed 2 weeks ago.

But strange that the neighbors and the NYPD would target them. But then again this has been going on in NYC forever I remember back in the day. I would not be allowed in Boots and Saddles and Ty's unless I was with a bunch of white kids so we settled for Keller's and Peter Rabbit’s. It’s not like that anymore. Thank Goodness.

However within the last 12 years it has been more diversified in NYC and that's a good thing.

And Miss Rob you faggot living with about 4 other girls in a 2 by 4 space for 2,000$ a month BITCH PLEASE! It was there before you was.
    And to miss D,B it is about RACE you dumb ass idiot. Why the fucking cops are not in the predominately white gay bars where they sell meth and fuck in backrooms DUMB BITCH don’t go there!

What have you seen that doesn't go on anywhere else?

Posted by: Miss JuJu BeBe | Aug 21, 2010 1:49:17 PM

12. @MISS JUJU BEBE

What's with the use of "faggot"? You really loose credibility with the name calling. Just sayin.

Posted by: Pete | Aug 21, 2010 1:56:16 PM

13. Pete sweetie sorry if I lost cred with you.....But I don't like what they said. Excuse the slur if it makes you feel any better..OKAY?

Posted by: Miss JuJu BeBe | Aug 21, 2010 2:04:45 PM

14. :)

Posted by: Pete | Aug 21, 2010 2:10:23 PM

15. Oh no! Chi Chi's is awesome!

The cops are 100% here for the drugs and sex that goes on, but hey, anyone been to Splash in the last anytime? YOU CAN BUY DRUGS AT ANY BAR, OR ON THE CORNER DOWN THE STREET, ITS FUCKING NYC.

I don't know if race was an issue, it probably got them targeted more than, lets say, SPLASH or the EAGLE. But you white gays need to learn to share with your black counterparts. I am white and 3 of my friends were also white when we used to go there weekly for the great drinks and nice people. Yes we were the only white people there (Usually, sat is pretty mixed) but race issues cease to matter when you don't let them have any power.

You Christopher street white gays should actually stop by for a drink and hang out with some new people, you will be surprised how much less douchey you will be,

Posted by: Fenrox | Aug 21, 2010 2:12:34 PM

16. @MISS JUJU BEBE

You can call MarkDC one, he's a real ass and Madonna hater. hehehe

Posted by: Pete | Aug 21, 2010 2:18:20 PM

17. jujube...crack is a horrible drug...get help.

Posted by: TANK | Aug 21, 2010 2:32:41 PM

18. OH NO...Not the jobless wanna be Dr writing lifeless paragraphs MISS STANK!

Have you found a job yet queen? Since you're on here 24/7 ask Andy can you wash his clothes.

You poor excuse for a HOMO! Reading Is truly fundaMENTAL! okay Miss MENTAL?

But Pete UM I'm not extreme like Mark Bless his heart. I just didn't like what D.B and Rob said.

Posted by: Miss JuJu BeBe | Aug 21, 2010 3:05:40 PM

19. Living in NYC for 10 years and then, staying for a month last year and by the bar, I had a blast. And, it's true, it is racially motivated. Jeez, I could buy any drug at Splash on anytime of the week when I was there. I wasn't offered d**k but more meth than I could handle. No thanks. I'll hang with my peeps down in the hood and wait for your gentrification of yet another "blighted" area. BTW: I am not black, just another person who feels disgusted by the predominance of white people who feel that they can f**k a person of color but not join in the hand-holding.

Posted by: George | Aug 21, 2010 3:13:47 PM

20. ha ha ha. I do have a job.

Anyway, I never said that MISS JUJU BEBE IS A WORTHLESS CRACKHEAD WHO SPENDS HIS ENTIRE DAY SMOKING, SELLING, AND BUYING CRACK. Instead, I suggested that MISS JUJU BEBE SEEK HELP and that CRACK IS A HORRIBLE DRUG...and I'll add that if MISS JUJU BEBE IS A HOPELESS CRACK HEAD INCAPABLE OF COHERENT THOUGHT BECAUSE OF HIS CRACK ADDICTION...that MISS JUJU BEBE SHOULD SEEK HELP FOR OBVIOUS CRACK ADDICTION...because CRACK ADDICTION WOULD BE RUINING MISS JUJU BEBE'S LIFE...as CRACK ADDICTION IS BAD FOR EVERYONE, BUT ESPECIALLY CRACK ADDICTS LIKE MISS JUJU BEBE if MISS JUJU BEBE were ADDICTED TO CRACK! ...which I haven't said...that is, I haven't said that IT IS TRUE THAT MISS JUJU BEBE IS ADDICTED TO CRACK AND, BECAUSE OF THAT ADDICTION TO CRACK THAT MISS JUJU BEBE HAS, SHOULD SEEK HELP...or that it's false that MISS JUJU BEBE IS ADDICTED TO CRACK AND SHOULD SEEK HELP TO STOP TAKING CRACK ALL OF THE TIME...I remain neutral with respect to the truth value of the statement that MISS JUJU BEBE IS HOPELESSLY ADDICTED TO CRACK AND SHOULD SEEK HELP TO STOP TAKING CRACK ALL DAY LONG.

Posted by: TANK | Aug 21, 2010 3:15:51 PM

21. Girls isn't Miss Tank a nutjob?...girl you need something if not Jesus. The only one on crack is your MOTHER. You need to slap her dumb queen.

Posted by: Miss JuJu BeBe | Aug 21, 2010 3:45:58 PM

22. I think I'm in love with MISS JUJU BEBE - she's so funny.

Posted by: Pete | Aug 21, 2010 4:37:07 PM

23. Tank: Crack is cheap! Im sure juju makes too much money, to be smoking crack. Do you have any proof? show us the receipts!

Posted by: B | Aug 21, 2010 4:54:54 PM

24. Of course it was racially motivated because Roxy wasn't closed for drugs or anything. Oh wait...

It's more fun to forget things like that and make a race issue out of it, isn't it?

Posted by: Max | Aug 21, 2010 4:55:41 PM

25. Typical! the bullshit liberal people are only "liberal" when it suits them OR when they can get something out of it!!

Posted by: shannon | Aug 21, 2010 6:13:05 PM