Activists Fight NYPD Closing of Christopher Street Gay Bar

Chichiz

Activists and civil rights lawyers are going to court on Thursday to fight the closing of Christopher Street bar Chi Chiz, which bills itself as "the only Black gay bar in New York City".

Page Six reports

"The police claim in Manhattan Supreme Court that on four instances in a six-month period, undercover officers witnessed the sale of marijuana, cocaine and other controlled substances in the bar, which opened 12 years ago. But Chi Chiz supporters say the crackdown's motivated by racism and homophobia in a community that's increasingly white, wealthy and worried about property values. 'These are the same people who forced the city to tear down the Women's House of Detention on Sixth Avenue and Christopher Street,' activist Allen Roskoff told Page Six.
'Manhattan so-called liberals are only so when it affects others. Otherwise, they cry 'quality of life' and 'not in my neighborhood.''"

Comments

1. Mike in the Tundra says

Four instances in six months? Couldn’t the cops have just arrested those selling the drugs? Of course, had they done that, they wouldn’t have been able to shut down the bar in a lily white, straight neighborhood.

2. Pete says

So they nailed them for everything perceived as derogatory; black, drug dealers who are gay. Good thing they didn’t have woman in there or they’d really be in trouble.

3. kodiak says

the doorman at a bar on my block (lower east side), sold drugs to two underage girls, one of which died. made headlines, tv, etc. closed by the powers that be, opened back up in a week.
    go figure.

4. Rob says

I’m gay and live in the neighborhood and avoid that block because it’s so unpleasant, esp. after dark. And I’m sure most others who live around it view the bar as a blight as well. If you don’t live in this area it’s easy to be self-righteous and bemoan the bar’s closing. Perhaps you have a vacant building in your neighborhood you can offer for relocation?

5. van says

Oh, Rob, puhleeze. I lived a couple blocks from that bar for 13 years. Sure, it got a bit rowdy on the weekends, but it wasn’t all that. Climb down.

6. D.B. says

Completely agree with Rob above. Until just recently, I worked in the neighborhood for years and would have to walk past this bar very late every single night. Over the years, I have seen all sorts of illegal drug activity going on very openly right out in front of Chi Chiz.

I don’t live in the neighborhood, so I don’t have anything to gain from this bar’s closure. And I completely support gay nightlife. But I have witnessed the problems at Chi Chiz first hand many, many times — they are serious problems, not just the occasional issues common at any other bar in the city.

This isn’t a racial issue, and it’s certainly not homophobia. (Actually, supporters’ pulling the gay/race cards as a defense is kind of offensive.) This bar is just a blight on Christopher Street.

7. Miss JuJu BeBe says

That’s why our community will never live in harmony. And for all you exports to NYC. Chi Chi’s came along later to be the Black gay bar in New York City. That was originally owed to Killers of course which is no more. But the Actual Black gay Bar in NYC was The Starlite in Bklyn which just closed 2 weeks ago.

But strange that the neighbors and the NYPD would target them. But then again this has been going on in NYC forever I remember back in the day. I would not be allowed in Boots and Saddles and Ty’s unless I was with a bunch of white kids so we settled for Keller’s and Peter Rabbit’s. It’s not like that anymore. Thank Goodness.

However within the last 12 years it has been more diversified in NYC and that’s a good thing.

And Miss Rob you faggot living with about 4 other girls in a 2 by 4 space for 2,000$ a month BITCH PLEASE! It was there before you was.
    And to miss D,B it is about RACE you dumb ass idiot. Why the fucking cops are not in the predominately white gay bars where they sell meth and fuck in backrooms DUMB BITCH don’t go there!

What have you seen that doesn’t go on anywhere else?

8. Pete says

@MISS JUJU BEBE

What’s with the use of “faggot”? You really loose credibility with the name calling. Just sayin.

9. Miss JuJu BeBe says

Pete sweetie sorry if I lost cred with you…..But I don’t like what they said. Excuse the slur if it makes you feel any better..OKAY?

10. Fenrox says

Oh no! Chi Chi’s is awesome!

The cops are 100% here for the drugs and sex that goes on, but hey, anyone been to Splash in the last anytime? YOU CAN BUY DRUGS AT ANY BAR, OR ON THE CORNER DOWN THE STREET, ITS FUCKING NYC.

I don’t know if race was an issue, it probably got them targeted more than, lets say, SPLASH or the EAGLE. But you white gays need to learn to share with your black counterparts. I am white and 3 of my friends were also white when we used to go there weekly for the great drinks and nice people. Yes we were the only white people there (Usually, sat is pretty mixed) but race issues cease to matter when you don’t let them have any power.

You Christopher street white gays should actually stop by for a drink and hang out with some new people, you will be surprised how much less douchey you will be,

11. Miss JuJu BeBe says

OH NO…Not the jobless wanna be Dr writing lifeless paragraphs MISS STANK!

Have you found a job yet queen? Since you’re on here 24/7 ask Andy can you wash his clothes.

You poor excuse for a HOMO! Reading Is truly fundaMENTAL! okay Miss MENTAL?

But Pete UM I’m not extreme like Mark Bless his heart. I just didn’t like what D.B and Rob said.

12. George says

Living in NYC for 10 years and then, staying for a month last year and by the bar, I had a blast. And, it’s true, it is racially motivated. Jeez, I could buy any drug at Splash on anytime of the week when I was there. I wasn’t offered d**k but more meth than I could handle. No thanks. I’ll hang with my peeps down in the hood and wait for your gentrification of yet another “blighted” area. BTW: I am not black, just another person who feels disgusted by the predominance of white people who feel that they can f**k a person of color but not join in the hand-holding.

13. TANK says

ha ha ha. I do have a job.

Anyway, I never said that MISS JUJU BEBE IS A WORTHLESS CRACKHEAD WHO SPENDS HIS ENTIRE DAY SMOKING, SELLING, AND BUYING CRACK. Instead, I suggested that MISS JUJU BEBE SEEK HELP and that CRACK IS A HORRIBLE DRUG…and I’ll add that if MISS JUJU BEBE IS A HOPELESS CRACK HEAD INCAPABLE OF COHERENT THOUGHT BECAUSE OF HIS CRACK ADDICTION…that MISS JUJU BEBE SHOULD SEEK HELP FOR OBVIOUS CRACK ADDICTION…because CRACK ADDICTION WOULD BE RUINING MISS JUJU BEBE’S LIFE…as CRACK ADDICTION IS BAD FOR EVERYONE, BUT ESPECIALLY CRACK ADDICTS LIKE MISS JUJU BEBE if MISS JUJU BEBE were ADDICTED TO CRACK! …which I haven’t said…that is, I haven’t said that IT IS TRUE THAT MISS JUJU BEBE IS ADDICTED TO CRACK AND, BECAUSE OF THAT ADDICTION TO CRACK THAT MISS JUJU BEBE HAS, SHOULD SEEK HELP…or that it’s false that MISS JUJU BEBE IS ADDICTED TO CRACK AND SHOULD SEEK HELP TO STOP TAKING CRACK ALL OF THE TIME…I remain neutral with respect to the truth value of the statement that MISS JUJU BEBE IS HOPELESSLY ADDICTED TO CRACK AND SHOULD SEEK HELP TO STOP TAKING CRACK ALL DAY LONG.

14. Miss JuJu BeBe says

Girls isn’t Miss Tank a nutjob?…girl you need something if not Jesus. The only one on crack is your MOTHER. You need to slap her dumb queen.

15. B says

Tank: Crack is cheap! Im sure juju makes too much money, to be smoking crack. Do you have any proof? show us the receipts!

16. Max says

Of course it was racially motivated because Roxy wasn’t closed for drugs or anything. Oh wait…

It’s more fun to forget things like that and make a race issue out of it, isn’t it?

17. shannon says

Typical! the bullshit liberal people are only “liberal” when it suits them OR when they can get something out of it!!

18. Steve says

My partner and I own a restaurant in Denver in a neighborhood that had been mostly black folks until the mid-90’s. It was known as “cracktown”. Now it’s 45% white, 35% Latino, and 20% black. We watched for 9 YEARS as the black-owned food-stand on the corner openly sold drugs. We called the police almost a thousand times.

I have been chased down the block by crackheads; drug dealers working with the food stand threatened to kill us and burn our restaurant down; I have been punched in the neck by a crackhead.

Finally last month, the police raided the place and arrested the 84 year old “matriarch” and her 68 year old son for selling crack and a number of other things. They have records going back 3 decades for selling drugs in our neighborhood, and what did they do? Go on TV and cry “racism”.

My partner and I are not the problem here in Denver, and the white people living on Christopher Street are not the problem. The drug dealers, no matter what their skin color, ARE the problem. Drug dealing is NOT a victimless crime. Congrats to the NYPD and the neighbors.

19. GrabbinNewscum says

I figured out Miss Kookoo Bebe was black because of its frequent threats of violence to other posters. Calling gay people people “faggots” just confirms it because homophobia is deeply ingrained in the negro ghetto culture, even among supposedly gay nigras.

20. Tone says

Wow look at the trolls, so far I’ve counted four people who live no more than a few blox from the place. What are the odds? *eye roll*

21. Eaton Morecock says

It’s been an open secret for years that you can get any drug you want at Chi-Chiz.

It’s about time that shit-hole was closed down.

22. BlackBerrie says

That bar was a veritable black hole attracting drugs and thugs and the gang-bangers who sell and use them!!!!
    Get real, it was B-A-D BAD!!!

23. says

Facts are facts… and if the bar thought that their closing was unjust… then hire a good lawyer. If there was no arrest at the time of the violation… then the police were wrong for allowing it to happen, or for not informing the bar owner… so signs could be posted. I have always been against undercover stings in public places for not posting signs, or placing a uniform police men in sight. How many other bars, black or gay or sports bars have been closed for the same reason? If the answer is Zero… then it shows that it was racially motivated. I believe a hearing should of been had, before the closing of the bar, so that the owners could of taken steps to make sure outside people, or workers were not doing this on their own.

24. vinebeau says

WOW, I have never posted anything on here, but read the comments, and frankly there is a lot of hatred towards one another among the regulars, sad. About CHi CHiz, I just moved from NYC 2 weeks ago and spent a lot of time at the dugout, which always included walking past chi chiz and for the most part it was never a pleasant experience, but I dont think the problem was with the bar it was always the 17-20 year old crowd of gays outside who were the harassers and the drug dealers, I once was told “buy some of my shit or I’ll shank you” I just laughed and said bitch please, I aint the one..
    Its sad they closed it..its why I left NYC, if you aren’t white (which I am) married and have 2.2 kids the we dont want you here attittue, NY is nothing but a sterile playground od corporate bullshit, resting on its laurels of what it used to be

25. Chase says

Get rid of the PATH trash…trust me…does not belong…sick of the deaths, drugs and destruction…it’s not a racial issue, it’s more of a class (and lack thereof) one…

26. Fenrox says

@MAX, If all the gay bars in NYC sell drugs, then all the bars need to be closed, correct? Now if all the bars in NYC sell drugs and the black bars get closed first and no word on closing any other bars, WHAT IS THAT?

= RACE

27. Fenrox says

@Steve, That is not a good example of what is happening here. It is more an example of glad-handed racism. You and your white partner went to a black area, you saw black people do bad things for 9 years, then you say some black people make hypocritical lies. Now you attribute stories and lessons to a group of people and dismiss allegations of racism involving that race because you have seen one person lie once.

You can say you are liberal, nice, kind but you are also a racist. Not a very bad racist by any means, but the kind of racist who if they just took some time and energy could be cured. Please TRY harder.