Charlie Crist | Florida | Gay Marriage

Charlie Crist: 'The Institution Of Marriage, I Believe That It Is Between A Man And A Woman, It's Just How I Feel'

Charlie Crist once again reiterated his stance on marriage equality - meaning, of course, that he still doesn't support it. He also once again talked about his belief of being a "live and let live" kind of guy, something we've heard him say before.

CNN's Ed Henry interviewed Crist and asked him how he feels about about a constitutional ban on same-sex marriage.

Cc Said Crist: "I feel the same way, yes, because I feel that marriage is a sacred institution, if you will. But I do believe in tolerance. I'm a live and let live kind of guy, and while I feel that way about marriage, I think if partners want to have the opportunity to live together, I don't have a problem with that."

"And I think that's where most of America is. So I think that you know, you have to speak from the heart about these issues. They are very personal. They have a significant impact on an awful lot of people and the less the government is telling people what to do, the better off we're all going to be. But when it comes to marriage, I think it is a sacred institution. I believe it is between a man and woman, but partners living together, I don't have a problem with."

Henry called him out on his supposed laissez-faire attitude: "But governor, doesn't it sounds like you having it both ways by saying live and let live, but I also support a constitutional ban on same-sex marriage. If it's live and let live, why would you ban same-sex marriage?"

Crist's response: "Well, everything is in a matter of degree, Ed, and when it becomes to the institution of marriage, I believe that it is between a man and a woman, it's just how I feel."

In 2008, Crist said Sarah Palin would do a "great job" as president. Henry asked him the same question again and got a difference response. Unfortunately, not a more reassuring one. Watch the clip, AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. How long until this one comes out of the closet?

I'll be voting for Meeks, the Democrat.

Posted by: Independent??? | Aug 29, 2010 8:03:29 PM

2. He's a douche bag. And he's running as an independent because the Republican candidate is about a half-step away from Satan and that what seems to pass for a Republican politician in Florida (though according to the two closet case Republicans who came out recently, the Republican party is who should be for gay marriage (insert huge laugh here.)

The only realistic event that needs to occur and probably will by court order within the next 10 years is that the state will get out of the marriage business all together. They will issue union licenses and marriage (whatever the hell that means, since it means nothing that the right wing keeps trying to convince the world that it does...) will end up being a religious ceremony.

And yes, that will make us look like butt plugs to the rest of the world because American is again, turning out to be the most reactive, regressive country in the world.

Posted by: Bart | Aug 29, 2010 8:21:53 PM

3. *sits back calmly closes eyes, takes deep breaths and counts to ten -pushing any knee jerk responses to the background*

Hopefully Floridians and other states send A very clear and resounding message to these people who hide behind their double-speak and false patriotism and faith-induced righteousness... and that is: There is no room in our country's government for you. You do not fit the job description and actually publicly ridicule company policy.

Ahhh... to dream, ne?

Posted by: aleabeth | Aug 29, 2010 8:35:26 PM

4. He's much better than tea party favorite Marco Rubio. Crist will most likely caucus with the democrats in the Senate if he is elected. He was for the Obama stimulus and he is actually a reasonable republican, not like some of these tea party nut jobs.

Do you really think he would come out in favor of gay marriage as a Florida politician who is in an election cycle?

Also there are the gay rumors...people who are allegedly in the closet usually come out against any pro gay positions. "See how can I be gay, I'm against gay marriage!"

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Aug 29, 2010 8:47:40 PM

5. All this leaves is for me to vote for Alex Sink(D)...which would be OK, except she's also against marriage equality. This is the most backward state ever.

Posted by: Carl | Aug 29, 2010 9:16:50 PM

6. Crist's "feelings" and "beliefs" have nothing to do with my rights and the sooner he figures this out the better-off we'll all be. He's entitled to his feelings and I'm entitled to my rights. He thinks "...the less the government is telling people what to do, the better off we're all going to be... but his "BUT" belies his whole premise. He wants the government to intrude into my marriage and my rights. I wonder what his "feelings" would be if the govt. prevented a closeted gay man from entering into a sham marriage to save his political ass? He might be the best of several horrible choices for FL but I'd certainly be holding my nose and retching if I were forced to vote for him.

Posted by: Alex Parrish | Aug 29, 2010 9:21:55 PM

7. Charlie Crist is a comedian. He's the biggest f*g in politics. How he really feels is that he wants a huge c*ck up his ass. Unfortunately, these are the kinds of people that run for national elective office in this country. If things were as they should be he'd be a butler.

Posted by: Jonathan | Aug 29, 2010 9:27:38 PM

8. A better effort needs to be made to out this dickwad already!

Posted by: Swine | Aug 29, 2010 9:28:11 PM

9. Mike Rogers needs to interview every gay male hooker in Florida. Surely one of them has serviced Charlie Crist?

Posted by: peterparker | Aug 29, 2010 9:42:34 PM

10. Alex Sink is running for GOVERNOR against Scott. She's not running for Senator. Your other choices in the Senate race are Rubio (extreme right wing, Tea bagger) or Kendrick Meek, the Democratic nominee. Kendrick probably has a snowball's chance in hell of winning in this fucked up state. I was planning on holding my nose and voting for Crist, just to keep Rubio from winning. Now, forget about it. I'm voting for Meek, no matter his chances.

BRIAN IN TEXAS, he most certainly will NOT caucus with the Democrats. Please don't spread misinformation, ESPECIALLY about a state that, I assume by your screen name, you don't live in.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Aug 29, 2010 10:14:13 PM

11. brian in texas is a republican apologist. Moreso, he's a complete fucking moron.

Posted by: TANK | Aug 29, 2010 10:57:24 PM

12. Crist will someday either come out or he will get caught with a guy and he will defend it and end up saying he has finally come around like Ken Mehlman. He is a self loathing closet case.

Posted by: Justin Elzie | Aug 29, 2010 11:04:13 PM

13. Of course he's against gay marriage. Goodtime Charlie doesn't want one of his old boytoys suing him for "Breach of Promise."

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Aug 29, 2010 11:28:26 PM

14. when is self loathing gay finally going to come out of the closet. he is a disgrace to
    gays everywhere. i wish someone who has thegoods really outs him. he serves it.

Posted by: walter | Aug 29, 2010 11:30:50 PM

15. Where's this queen's smoking gun? Where's the (real) story that will send this fop packing?

Posted by: Perry | Aug 30, 2010 12:27:30 AM

16. The story is already there. The media won't touch it though. They don't want to upset closeted politicians - of whom there are many - and lose access.

Bill Maher tried to out Mehlman on the Larry King show in 2006. He also said he would reveal the sexual orientation of other closeted Republicans - presumably Dreier, Crist, and Schock - on his own show. The CNN tape was edited to omit all references to Mehlman. The written transcript itself was quickly scrubbed by the censors. And, evidently, Maher was forced to drop the outing idea completely. It is likely that HBO threatened to fire him if he ever went through with it.

Posted by: John | Aug 30, 2010 1:38:45 AM

17. Unfortunately, since Meek has essentially ZERO chance of winning, I am going to have to cast my vote for Crist in the hopes he can stop Rubio. If you think Crist is a close-minded closet case who will hurt the GLBT community, I recommend you do a little research on Rubio. He is downright dangerous and isn't afraid to share his hateful and bigoted rhetoric with anyone.

Posted by: Dr. Christopher Blackwell | Aug 30, 2010 2:01:28 AM

18. A completely irrational and illogical answer, yet, of course, closet case is allowed to get away with it. I mean, Charlie, you big fag, us gay couples don't need your permission to live together, and we certainly don't give a crap about your feelings, so don't act like you're bestowing lovely gifts of tolerance when you're, in fact, pathetic. When are journalists going to call these politicians, particularly closeted gay ones, on their pure nonsense? We need some Boies/Olsons asking these questions.

Posted by: Ernie | Aug 30, 2010 2:15:07 AM

19. HOW ODD CONSIDERING HE IS GAY !!!!!
    HIS BF'S ARE CRAWLIN ALL OVER THE EAST FUKKIN COAST. WHAT A DOOOOSH. AND THEYR GONNA OUT U BITCH

Posted by: tommmyxx | Aug 30, 2010 4:10:56 AM

20. At what point will it finally sink in that "it's just how I feel" is not a sufficient basis for legislative denial of equal civil and human rights for any minority?

Posted by: The Milkman | Aug 30, 2010 9:05:05 AM

21. What a fuckstick. Period.

Posted by: pdxblueyes | Aug 30, 2010 10:18:05 AM

22. Ed Henry is a hot bear cub; Charlie Crist is a douche

Posted by: Ryan D | Aug 30, 2010 11:18:57 AM

23. CAHRLIE CHRIST NOTHING BUT A LIAR. HE CANT EVEN BE HONEST ABOUT HIMSELF. PROMISES ON LOWER PROPERTY TAXES IN FLORIDA (THEY WENT UP AGAIN REGARDLESS PLUNGING PROPERTY VALUES) PROMISES ON LOWER HURRICAN INSURANCE (THAT GOES UP EVERY YEAR 10% THANKS TO CHRIST). NO THANKS I AM NOT VOTING FOR THAT LYING CLOSET QUEEN.

Posted by: BRENNO | Sep 30, 2010 10:59:18 PM