Citing ‘Biblical Truth’, Iowa GOP Senate Candidate Dave Leach Agrees That AIDS is God’s Punishment for Homosexuality

Earlier in the week Iowa GOP Congressional candidate Jeremy Walters apologized for remarks written on his Facebook page saying that AIDS is God's punishment for homosexuality.

Leach Republican Party of Iowa Chairman Matt Strawn denounced Walters.

Yesterday, Dave Leach, a GOP candidate for the state senate there, came to Walters' defense, the Iowa Independent reports:

Leach, who is running against Democratic state Sen. Matt McCoy in Senate District 31, said Walters statement was 'theologically clumsy, but it seemed close enough to Biblical truth to not merit a censure from the Republican Party.'  … 'GOP head Matt Strawn is right in saying HIV does not discriminate; in other words, the fact that someone has HIV by no means proves they got it through sodomy,' Leach said in an e-mail to Strawn and The Iowa Independent. 'But I don’t see that that is what Jeremy said.'

Whether the Bible says there is a connection shouldn’t matter, he said, since, 'everyone knows there is this connection.'"

Said Leach:

"Everyone knows sodomites suffer [HIV/AIDS] far more than the rest of the population, and that sodomy’s practices, which are so embarrassingly unsanitary that you dare not detail them in one of your articles, would inevitably create such a disease if it did not already exist. It seems 'inappropriate,' to use Strawn’s word, to apologize for saying what the Bible says, with which everyone agrees. It is 'inappropriate' for anyone to ask such a thing. I am sorry that Jeremy gave up his ground, although at least he stood it for awhile, which is more than most will do."

And on a side note — that hat. Seriously?

Comments

1. Dave says

And that tie! There can’t be a God for no loving God would let such a thing be put around a man’s neck…

2. walter says

just what i want in a state senator someone who wears a hat with a cross stitched on it at least he won’t have to worry about vampires. his string tie just is the fashion statement of the century. ride em cowboy.

3. Timzilla says

Wearing a ridiculous Dollywood gift shop cross on your thrift-store bought, Will Rogers sweat-stained Stetson while sporting a worry-stone bolo tie is God’s punishment for being an ignorant, homophobic bigot.

4. Jeremiah says

The term “Biblical truth” drives me absolutely crazy.”Truth” has an actual dictionary meaning, and it has NOTHING to do with the Bible. “Biblical truth” is a contradiction in terms…people who use that phrase are living in a fantasy world, a psychotic state divorced from reality.

5. richard says

after years of reading your site and watching it grow — although reading it less now — it’s always amazing to see the amount of information out there for glbt people, yet, watch them being spineless on average and embracing of garbage curricula that actually undermined their equality and the work that others had been doing long before their lazy asses woke up from shit product in scottsdale arizona. thought south beach would be something other than tacky and flaccid. shame.

6. Jared says

Not all gay people practice sodomy and sodomy is not only practiced by gay people, so if he is trying to disparage homosexuality: try again. More importantly, he is trying to link disease with sin/bad behavior, which is not accurate. And even MORE importantly, Bible teachings have no place in government, large or small.

7. marshallt says

If we’re going to use this kind of logic, then cervical cancer must be god’s punishment of heterosexuals. Ridiculous, and I don’t believe it. But it makes about as much sense.

8. Steve says

I’m aghast. This guy is a freak.

What about HIV infection rates in Africa, which are primarily heterosexual?

“It seems inappropriate to apologize for saying what the Bible says, with which everyone agrees” – EVERYONE?

9. CoMo'mo says

I lived in Iowa until I was 19. I’ve thought about returning, but every place I think about living has been flooded or blown away lately, and there seems to be an upsurge in the number of yahoos, fools, idiots and nuts running for public office. That’s bad enough, but the fact that some are elected time to time is disheartening. So I may continue hiding out in a mostly-liberal pocket in Missouri. Of course, my occasional indulgence in poppers will become illegal in 8 days…

10. James says

I know it’s only August, but I’m pretty sure I just worked out what I’m wearing for Halloween.

11. SFshawn says

The only thing “unsanitary” is the vile bullshit that pours out of his diseased mouth. Those wannabe cowboys in Iowa need to stop fucking the farm animals since it’s obviously causing them brain damage.

12. TampaZeke says

Damn, marriage equality has really poked a stick into the hornets’ nest of hateful bigoted Christianists.

We need a big ole can of Raid Woop-Ass!

This upping the crazy is all a part of the “then they fight you” Gandhi talked about. It happened to Blacks in the 60’s. Just remember, “then we win” is next.

13. Matt26 says

Just because a man wears that hat doesn’t make him expert on God’s plans. I would like to know where he got his “information”. If he wins, I don’t know what to think of US voters.

14. TANK says

Just because a man posts on towleroad doesn’t make him an expert on “god’s plan.” You can pretty much say that about anything. In fact, you can say it about anything, because “god’s plan” amounts to whatever someone says it is, leaving god rather without one.

The thing about “god’s punishment” is that it, too, can be applied to anything, and there’s absolutely no way to prove it beyond what someone says and believes. It’s arbitrary b.s. meant to stir up support amongst bigoted, meme infected, fearful ignorant cattle…and it’s a story as old as religion itself.

15. TANK says

But it does highlight one thing: anyone who uses the term christophobia to indicate any disagreement with christianity is like rick warren…just like anyone who invokes that made up slogan islamophobia is just equally to blame for defending religion, and the foulness that it not only has the potential to generate, but does, in fact, generate…like this guy’s statement…a foul, disgusting person who perpetuates fundamentally hateful false beliefs toward groups of people.

16. Rad says

Batshit crazy is the new black.

This is what happens when Civics classes are no longer taught in school. You get these morons running for office that don’t’ quite understand that separation of church and state is in the Constitution. “When I am elected, I will steam roll over the constitution and outlaw anything my bible tells me is wrong!”

17. says

We question the decision making process behind the hat… Did he look in the mirror that morning, adjusting it on his lard-filled skull, smile, and say, “THAT looks like a SENATOR!” …?

18. Robert Hagedorn says

No matter how we feel about same-sex marriage, the exegesis for the 2nd and 3rd chapters of Genesis makes us uncomfortable. Why? Because the deed Adam and STEve did, according to the story, was sodomy–the mystery the bishop of Hippo almost solved 1600 years ago. (He thought the sin was penile/vaginal.) For more information google The First Scandal Adam and Eve. Then click, read, and click again.

19. Guest says

I thought prostate cancer was punishment for sodomy? How’d I get prostate cancer and not AIDS?!

20. BGKev says

“sodomy’s practices…would inevitably create such a disease if it did not already exist.”

How fucking ignorant can you be? This moron actually thinks AIDS is spontaneously generated when two fags rub together!

21. Chad says

OH no republicans are gay friendly. lol. Look at this ignorant redneck trash ,these people are dangerous.

22. Dawnell_do says

If AIDS is God’s punishment for being Gay then straight people are really gay themselves.

23. says

It’s easy to point out that Mr. Leach is out of touch with reality — OK, fine. But probably no more than most of you. I’ve almost never met a sane human being in my life. Almost all loonies think themselves sane — but how can any human be sure that he or she is in touch with reality, or to what extent? I firmly believe that most of you are just as crazy as Leach is, or more, or almost as.

24. Ninong says

Leach, now that’s a great name for this guy. But y’all should stop makin’ fun o’ his Sunday-go-to-meetin’ clothes. LOL