Elizabeth Hasselbeck | Gay Marriage | News

BigGayDeal.com

Elisabeth Hasselbeck: 'I Actually Support Gay Marriage'

The View's Elisabeth Hasselbeck tries to clear up some misconceptions about her in an interview with Fancast:

Hasselbeck "I am not ultra-ultra-conservative on every issue. I actually support gay marriage. I think the gay marriage thing would definitely surprise people. I mean, for some people, it will surprise them to the point that they won’t want to hear it. 'No, that can’t be, I really want to have this sort of idea of her in my head,' so I sort of rain on their parade there. I am a person that does believe that life begins at conception, but I also don’t believe that the government should tell women what to do with their bodies. So I’m torn there in terms of supporting laws [for or against abortion]. I always say I would rather change a heart than a law. I think it has to start there. Always trying to mandate, mandate, mandate this or that is not the way that I believe this country should run."

In December 2008, Hasselbeck irked Melissa Etheridge on The View with regard to Prop 8, arguing that the majority should be allowed to vote on the rights of the minority. Hasselbeck also seemed to struggle with the concept of marriage equality in a discussion with Portia de Rossi a year later, asking "Take men and women. Women want all the rights of men, but they're not asking to be called men. Do you think...is the word [marriage] more important than the rights?"

Comments

1. They had Alec Mapa on The View last month (I work from home, bitches, don't judge!), and I was surprised how supportive Hasselback was toward his family. But honestly, if you can look at a picture of Alec Mapa and his husband taking their foster child to Disneyland and you still don't support gay marriage, you are dead inside. I sent a few letters asking them to adopt me, and now I can't go within 100 feet of the Mapa residence.

Posted by: crispy | Aug 18, 2010 9:37:44 AM

2. Geez, the mental acrobatics idiots like her and the head of the Iowa Republican Party go through...."we don't hate you, we don't love you; now love us". This is why we need national health care: to get these loonies proper mental health care.

Posted by: woodroad34d | Aug 18, 2010 9:44:06 AM

3. I think the reason people would be surprised is not that they have an image of her as resolutely conservative on all issues but because it IS A NEW POSITION. She's never stated this before, and has in fact stated many things that would imply a different "view." I'm sure she evolved into this position. I think having Rosie around—despite their, er, differences!—helped her evolve regarding the definition of family and re gay adoption and parenting.

She's still an idiot.

But I will say that Republicans are slowly beginning to realize that if they get over the gay issue, they will gain a slew of gay supporters/voters. Lots of gay people are just the gay issue away from being anti-social safety net, anti-immigrant, pro-business at all costs Republicans.

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | Aug 18, 2010 9:50:17 AM

4. She must have gotten the RNC talking points to lighten up on the subject for now. They need all the fence sitting gays they can get to vote for them.

Posted by: princely54 | Aug 18, 2010 10:05:43 AM

5. @Matt: I'm not sure how "new" her position is, but I do have to say that she has supported gay marriage several times on the The View in the past year. She has even expressed her pro-football husband's support for gay marriage on the View. And moreover, her husband Tim was on the View and made a pro-gay, pro-marriage statement, too.

I don't think we need to throw her a party for her view, but I think we should gladly accept her support (for better or for worse, she's an influential person in some parts) rather than constantly hate on her. We nee more televised "evolutions." Starting with our president.

Posted by: Nick | Aug 18, 2010 10:07:55 AM

6. I am making a conscious choice not to judge here. I will leave that to others.

However, I would like to point out something that struck me while reading this. I am beginning to SERIOUSLY question if "The View" is not partially scripted in some way and that the hosts are playing characters of themselves. I am not saying their dialog is scripted for them. I am just thinking they "play up" their viewpoints to create conflict and drama for viewers. This show is on the tele for ratings so I would not be surprised at the machinations going on behind the scenes to keep the show going.

Posted by: Bryant | Aug 18, 2010 10:10:18 AM

7. Am still wondering why this person is on TV or in print getting this kind of attention. Her opinions are lame and without any thought.

Posted by: Howard Perofsky | Aug 18, 2010 10:27:54 AM

8. First Glenn Beck, now Elizabeth Hasselbeck? Is this what you call "cut your losses" before the inevitable tide of sanity washes over this country?

Posted by: Steve | Aug 18, 2010 11:13:24 AM

9. "I would just like to show my support for Gay Marriage now that a pretty definitive case for gay marriage has garnered a lot of attention for gay marriage. Many of my friends are gay so I have decided to use them as a means to stay popular and continue to receive money for, essentially, doing nothing as a career. Please continue to believe the things I say until other people force me to change my mind, or I should say, critically think about a topic that I might talk about all the time but have never truly thought about. As you can imagine I, like most (essentially) unemployed, poorly educated Americans am deeply lazy and that spreads beyond action into thoughts and the ability to listen. Thank you for allowing me to continue to glide through a consequence free lifestyle while I condemn your hard work life. You guys are really the best!"

-Elisabeth Hasselbeck

Posted by: Fenrox | Aug 18, 2010 11:22:48 AM

10. I'm friends with Alec and spoke about his time on the view, he mostly mentioned Hasselbeck and how surprised he was that she was completely different behind the scene. He also said she was a lot of fun, and during the show they hit it off. I was surprised to hear that given the previous comments she made, but she admitted that she has changed a lot and that being on The View over the years, meeting different people, left her questioning her conservative social values.

Posted by: Cory | Aug 18, 2010 11:24:38 AM

11. Typical rhetoric of privileged heterosexuals—you need to change my heart and convince me to allow you to have equal rights. Forget those pesky constitutionally mandated civil rights. Once you have asked permission of each and every one of us, we might feel different about letting you have your same-sex "marriage." Maybe. Eventually.

Kiss my arse Liddy.

Posted by: Timzilla | Aug 18, 2010 12:54:10 PM

12. nexttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

Posted by: sal | Aug 18, 2010 1:54:27 PM

13. We need more conservatives to publicly take this viewpoint.

Posted by: lis | Aug 18, 2010 2:31:21 PM

14. She said before that she changed her mind about gay marriage after talking with Melissa Etheridge one evening. They had dinner together after Etheridge reached out and suggested it (after The View controversy).

I think she met someone who, for the first time, represented someone with whom she could identify and understand as someone not that different from herself as a mother and wife.

Since that meeting, she's been consistently more pro-gay and, specifically, pro-gay marriage. We should welcome people who have a change of heart.

Posted by: Miche Rutledge | Aug 18, 2010 2:45:51 PM

15. Most people, as well as opinions, evolve as we grow. Those who are criticizing should examine their own litmus test of the "perfectness" of every word they've ever spoken or position they've espoused. She is now an ally... good for her.

Posted by: HawaiiBill | Aug 18, 2010 3:06:16 PM

16. Thats great of her...

but wasn't she always talking about how her view on marriage equality was the same as the president's? I believe so. She's not owning up to her change, she's discussing it as if she has always thought gays should be allowed to marry.

As for the abortion issue, she always openly supported anti-choice republican candidates.

Actions speak louder than words. She's still a sheep and follower, without an original thought/opinion/view point in her hollow head.

When you support/campaign for anti-choice and anti-gay (rights) politicians, you can not so kindly, go fuck yourself.

Hawaiibill, what are u talking about? I know i have always been of the thought process that everyone should be equal. If u want to support elisabeth, go ahead, but don't try and bring us with you.

Posted by: B | Aug 18, 2010 4:21:27 PM

17. Sorry I don't meet your expectation of perfection...if your mind is already in the black and white area and you leave no room for other people to change, well, I'm not going to bother trying change your mind. Keep up the fight for equal rights (on that we agree) and have a good life.

Posted by: HawaiiBill | Aug 18, 2010 6:09:48 PM

18. Elizabeth said and I quote "IF A MAN AND A MAN MARRIES THAN WHATS NEXT? IS A MAN GOING TO MARRY A TOASTER?"

she said that when she first started working at the view so do i think she has changed since than? NO, i've seen the little liar flip flop her booty off on everything gay . first she's for it than she argues against it.

Posted by: Jacob | Aug 18, 2010 6:09:48 PM

19. She uses that show "the view" to argue against gay rights and than she does these little interviews hoping gays will lighten up on her so for an hour or however long she's being interviewed will play nice but once she's on the show she spreads so much fucking hatred towards gays its ridiculous. the bitch know how to con.

Posted by: Jacob | Aug 18, 2010 6:14:18 PM

20. And Miche please stop lying about the Melissa Etheridge and hasslebeck dinner. Yes they had dinner together that Elizabeth talked about the very next day to make herself seem openminded but she never said she agreed with Melissa on anything. Elizabeth said melissa had some good points and so did I, it was a very interesting discussion we had and than she went on to talk about her children and melissa's children. The only time Elizabeth said anything pro-gay was when rosie was hosting. once rosie left the anti-gay bitch re-emerged.

Posted by: Jacob | Aug 18, 2010 6:26:27 PM

21. If Elizabeth supports gay marriage WHY does she always argue against it?

Posted by: Jacob | Aug 18, 2010 6:39:47 PM

22. I suspect she argues against it and ends up asking DUMB questions because she feels she needs to support the view of social conservatives on her show.

Hasselbeck is under 35 (or at least 40), so her views make sense. Also, even though she's crazy conservative, I suspect she may be one of the more consistent republicans who is just anti-big government and maybe not one of the confused ones who want to tell people how to live but also are anti-govt.

Who knows. Maybe her publicist said this would soften her image and she wants to be in with the gays one day when she gets her own talk show. It also does a great job of making her stand out among the pack - giving her headlines.

Posted by: Joe | Aug 18, 2010 7:51:41 PM

23. Here's the problem. Despite her proclamation that she supports "gay marriage" I have heard her constantly belabor "activist" judges who rule in favor of marriage equality. I have also heard her opine that it "should be up to the people." That irritates the piss out of me. If we had not had "activist" judges we might still have laws banning inter-racial marriage in certain states. If she is serious about her support than she needs to read Olson and Boise's arguments and Judge Walker's ruling in the CA case. She would then get her head out of her ass and stop putting forth this silly idea of the electorate voting for minority rights,

Posted by: Sean | Aug 18, 2010 8:03:01 PM

24. @Sean, just because one believes in something doesn't mean they don't hold the right to democracy higher.

I'm not saying she's that sophisticated, but it's possible she could be in support of gay marriage, but against judicial intervention, as majority rule loving gal.

Posted by: Joe | Aug 18, 2010 8:04:56 PM

25. Joe-

OK maybe my post was a little harsh lol. My point is if there those among us who support marriage equality that are waiting around for "majority rule" on this issue than don't expect gay marriage in any major form in our lifetimes. Every state that has voted on it has turned it down. If it were not for lawmakers and these so called "activist" judges in the 50's and 60's do you honestly think the South would have voted for equal rights for people of color? We are the only class of people this has been done too. That was what I was trying to say. It just irritates me when people on both sides say it should be "up to the people." If you read Judge Walker's ruling he cites the 9th Amendment. Minority rights should not be put to a test.

Posted by: Sean | Aug 18, 2010 8:14:27 PM