News | Transportation

BigGayDeal.com

Flight Attendant Arrested After Exiting Plane Via Emergency Slide

Slater

JetBlue flight attendant Steven Slater made a dramatic exit from a flight he was working at Kennedy Airport today shortly after it landed, City Room reports:

Slater2  "One passenger got out of his seat to fetch his belongings from the overhead compartment before the crew had given permission. Mr. Slater instructed the man to remain seated. The passenger defied him. Mr. Slater approached and reached the passenger just as he pulled down his luggage, which struck Mr. Slater in the head. Mr. Slater asked for an apology. The passenger instead cursed at him. Mr. Slater got on the plane’s public address system and cursed out all aboard. Then he activated the inflatable evacuation slide at service exit R1, launched himself off the plane, an Embraer 190, ran to the employee parking lot and left the airport in a car he had parked there. In a statement, JetBlue said it was working with the Federal Aviation Administration and the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey to investigate the incident."

CBS: "Aviation sources said Slater got on the plane’s public address system and yelled: 'To the passenger who called me a (expletive), (expletive) you. I’ve been in the business 28 years. I’ve had it. That’s it.'"

Slater, 39, was arrested in Queens and charged with reckless endangerment and criminal mischief. He could get seven years if convicted of the charges.

UPDATE: He grabbed two beers from the galley before he left.

Comments

1. What fuckin baby. Though this story is rather epic LOL. However, even with customer service in place, the airline does need to back up its employees and give a statement that tells people that they do need to do what flight attendants tell them to do. If the flight attendant didn't act like such drama queen, the customer might have been arrested for suspicious activity.

Posted by: AidenRaccoon | Aug 9, 2010 6:34:16 PM

2. aren't there tasers to deal with unruly passengers? Don't warn, just taze.

Posted by: TANK | Aug 9, 2010 6:39:39 PM

3. Obviously, he's fucking nuts and deserves punishment. But the passenger does, too. I hate when people idiotically do that, let alone when they get belligerent about it.

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | Aug 9, 2010 6:40:11 PM

4. That's one heckuva case of gayface, too. I betcha he's made a lot of dramatic exits in his lifetime.

Posted by: TANK | Aug 9, 2010 6:41:16 PM

5. Rule #1. Flight attendants are the law on-board an aircraft. Defy them, and you, the passenger, risk arrest. Slater obviously forgot this and performed a hissy-fit-erectomy on his own brain instead of simply calling for assistance from his fellow attendants. What a way to ruin your life. I hope the troglodyte who needed his carry-on is happy.

Posted by: Chris | Aug 9, 2010 6:41:49 PM

6. Sounds like a comedy sketch from the movie "Airplane".

Posted by: aleabeth | Aug 9, 2010 6:44:20 PM

7. Sometimes a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.
    And to the holier than thou commentators here....suck up the political correctness sometimes and have a bit of fun in life..no one was endangered, no one died and I'm sure the passengers will tell this story at many a dinner table for years to come.

Posted by: DavidW | Aug 9, 2010 6:45:56 PM

8. Well that certainly is an EPIC way to quit a job! haha

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Aug 9, 2010 6:46:09 PM

9. Some work days are so f'n bad, you just have to slide out and go home for a cocktail as fast as possible.

Posted by: johnny | Aug 9, 2010 6:46:51 PM

10. LOL Johnny. Sounds like he's been working too much-- needs a vacation.

Posted by: rob | Aug 9, 2010 6:49:41 PM

11. Sadly, given the right circumstances, I could have easily seen myself do this.

Posted by: Vince in WeHo | Aug 9, 2010 6:50:37 PM

12. I really hope the FAA lets this one slide.

Posted by: crispy | Aug 9, 2010 6:50:38 PM

13. Well, the guy had his insanity moment. Not a big deal, he didn't hurt anyone, he just lost his temper. Sadly he won't be flying again, not as an attendant that is. Someone who can't stay calmed even when faced with fuckers can not be in charge of dealing with passengers.
    I wouldn't be that harsh on him, there are way more crazy people out there.

Posted by: Lexxvs | Aug 9, 2010 6:51:23 PM

14. It sounds like his career is on a definite downward slope.

Posted by: peterparker | Aug 9, 2010 6:54:07 PM

15. flight·y (adjective)
    a. Given to capricious or unstable behavior.
    b. Characterized by irresponsible or silly behavior.
    2. Easily excited; skittish.

Posted by: A. Beaverhausen | Aug 9, 2010 6:57:32 PM

16. Being a flight attendant is probably #1 on my list of Jobs I Would Hate. Being stuck in a tiny tube with obnoxious morons and shrieking kids day after endless day, is my idea of hell. I'd totally have a breakdown too.

Posted by: Denis | Aug 9, 2010 6:58:31 PM

17. I bet he's fun at a party, though. Maybe from a distance.

Posted by: Grant | Aug 9, 2010 7:04:57 PM

18. I have to say, if I were a flight attendant, and a passenger on my plane willfully disobeyed a direct order, then hit me in the head with his luggage, then cursed at me instead of apologized, I honestly think I'd beat the living crap out of him. In my view, Slater took the high road.

Posted by: RobbyRob | Aug 9, 2010 7:09:43 PM

19. love this story, we are like machines in the modern world, our grandparents lived the perfect lives; free spirits to explore a modern world just starting to emerge. We on the other hand are blase about the wonder of the modern world at the same time as lacking the balls to be independent humans.

My great aunt told me a story about arguing with Churchill at his bunker in London where she worked as a lowly private operating the security door at the age of 19. She had a stand up row with him when he came back drunk one evening during the blitz in 1940 and he sent her to Alexandria for the duration of the war - which she loved. She later married a chinese man who had escaped china in the 1930s to make a new life in Canada.

Our generation has no balls or spirt we will waste our life wondering which colour to have our i fucking phone

so i say well done airline man attendant person. ! you have balls and fuck them all and their rules !

Posted by: arch | Aug 9, 2010 7:12:20 PM

20. That's one queen who knows how to make an exit!

Posted by: Michael | Aug 9, 2010 7:13:47 PM

21. Haterosexual males are the biggest troublemakers in the world by lightyears. You all know the male that started this situation is haterosexual. I would not want to be a flight attendant because of hatersexuals' poor manners, violent tendencies and entitlement.

Posted by: Bill | Aug 9, 2010 7:16:11 PM

22. Geez. I would expect Jack McFarland to do something like that on Will & Grace. Not an actual adult from Jet Blue. Then again, it is Jet Blue so....carry on.

Posted by: jakeinlove | Aug 9, 2010 7:21:53 PM

23. A TRUE DIVA! with a quite a talent for making a dramatic exit! I smell a TONY award here.

Posted by: HAHAHAH | Aug 9, 2010 7:26:48 PM

24. As the Sassy Gay Friend would say "He's a stupid bitch"!

Posted by: ronnykmarshall | Aug 9, 2010 7:27:58 PM

25. Arch I am with you 100%; I currently have a boss that I whenever around work in a few catch phrases that goes over her bloated head and body. We are far too pacified and do not have any FIRM legs to stand on. We have taken the Jerry Springer approach to disagreement and it has reduced many peoples brain and will power.

Posted by: True Words | Aug 9, 2010 7:31:02 PM