George Michael | Glee | News

George Michael to Get 'Glee' Tribute Episode?

Georgemichael_2 George Michael is reportedly getting a Glee tribute episode:

"The 'Careless Whisper' singer is having his 1987 album 'Faith' re-worked so it can be released worldwide to coincide with the one-off special of the musical drama show. The third episode of the new series - which starts in the US on September 21 and is due in the UK on E4 later this year -will see the McKinley High Glee Club performing the pop star's hits. 'Glee' bosses hope it will introduce a 'new generation of fans to his music' - despite the fact he has a history of drug and alcohol abuse. News of his tribute on the clean-cut show comes just a month after he was arrested for smashing his car into a shop."

Comments

1. Make these tributes stop.

Posted by: fred | Aug 11, 2010 9:51:22 AM

2. I liked the George Micheal infused 'Eli Stone' episodes. Now, that was good TV.

Posted by: Rodney | Aug 11, 2010 10:53:13 AM

3. Really? Why? Most kids these days probably have no clue who George Michael is. Ryan Murphy needs to stop these crappy 'tribute' episodes to his favorite stars of his youth. Just because you were all about Madonna and George Michael 20 years ago doesn't mean any high-schoolers these days really give either of them much of a thought. The fawning over Madonna was ridiculous. If they try to equally play up George Michael as some admirable role model too I will stop watching this shit.

Not to mention, he only really has 2 or 3 hits that most people these days even remember. Faith, Freedom, and Father Figure do not an episode make. (If it is a GEORGE MICHAEL episode, they had better not include anything from Wham!. But you know they'll use Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go. You just know they will. Ooooh, maybe in a MASH-UP!#@!# ZOMG!!#!@$@! Rolls eyes. They're really trying to kill this thing fast, aren't they?)

Posted by: Ugh | Aug 11, 2010 12:48:21 PM

4. Oops. Apparently Freedom was Wham! too. Never mind. So George Michael had Faith and Father Figure. Yah, what a 'tribute.'

Posted by: Ugh | Aug 11, 2010 12:51:17 PM

5. Agree with Fred. In fact, I FF through the musical numbers, I love the show for the campy high-school (as played by 20-somethings) goings on of Kurt, Finn and all the rest.

Posted by: Henry Holland | Aug 11, 2010 12:56:50 PM

6. "...despite the fact he has a history of drug and alcohol abuse."

Despite? What's a pop star without a history of substance abuse, broken relationships, and trashy public scandals?

Remove the alcoholics, addicts, and sexually indiscreet from the iTunes store. Is anyone left? (Who?)

Posted by: Bryan Harrison | Aug 11, 2010 1:29:30 PM

7. I agree with Bryan here, I really don't think his personal problems should have much to do with whether Glee does a tribute show or not. (not that I would be watching anyway) Andy, your putting your opinion into many more posts these days. Sometimes it seems relevent, many times lately, not. Anyway, it is your blog, and I won't be stopping my daily visits. :)

Posted by: Mikey | Aug 11, 2010 2:11:54 PM

8. Begin snark:

So they'll be filming with night vision in the park and the kids will be singing from bushes with their pants pulled down?

End snark.

Snarkiness aside, as a RABID dance music fan (and a fan of Geore Michael's music in general; say what you will about the man, he's a damned good songwriter) I have to completely disagree with UGH. He has more than 2 hits under his belt. Let's name some of them off, shall we?

Faith, Father Figure, Too Funky, Freedom '90, Monkey, I Knew You Were Waiting For Me, Jesus To A Child, Outside, Careless Whisper, Fastlove, Amazing.

And that's just off the top of my head.

Regardless, I have no interest in Glee whatsoever. I tried because of Jane Jynch and all (that's one funny bitch) but I just couldn't make it through more than one episode without thinking, "There's GOT to be something better on TV right now."

Posted by: Stephen | Aug 11, 2010 2:32:24 PM

9. Yeah. That's why I said he only has about two hits that MOST PEOPLE REMEMBER. I am from that era and and have not even heard of five of those songs. You are clearly one of his fans, so of course you know his music. I highly doubt teens are popping in their Fastlove and Monkey(?) singles these days. Or anyone but George Michael fans, actually. I'm not saying he isn't talented, just that few people other than "rabid dance fans" care anymore. (And I'm not knocking what music you listen to, either. To each his own.)

Posted by: Ugh | Aug 11, 2010 4:21:04 PM