Don't Ask, Don't Tell | Gay Slurs | Kansas | News

BigGayDeal.com

Kansas House Candidate Dan Manning Gets Anti-Gay Death Threat Note Taped to Front Door of Home

Deaththreat_manning

Dan Manning, a 29-year-old West Point grad and eight-year Army veteran form Wichita who was discharged under the military's "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy, is running for the Kansas House of Representatives in the state's 91st District. Manning's opponent has used his sexuality to foment anger against him. This weekend, Manning found a ransom-style note attached to his front door threatening to kill him.

Manning The Kansas Equality Coalition writes:

Dan’s opponent is long-time incumbent Brenda Landwehr. Landwehr, a notorious far-right conservative, has been a vocal opponent of equal rights for gay, lesbian and transgendered Kansans. Since February, she has used Dan’s sexual orientation to stir up her constituent. She has gone so far as to use language that Dan was told was “too offensive” to repeat.

This weekend, the homophobia and name-calling took a dangerous and criminal turn.

Dan arrived home from work on Saturday to find a death threat attached to his front door (above).

The note is clearly an offensive way to use threats of deadly violence in an attempt to intimidate and silence Dan and his campaign and, by extension, our entire community and our interests in Topeka. Dan has no intentions of backing down and has seen this latest example of bigotry as proof that his campaign must go on. He and his campaign team’s resolve is now stronger than ever.

The Wichita Police Department is investigating.

Tweeted Manning regarding the threat: “With vision there is no room to be frightened. No reason for intimidation. It's time to march forward! Let's be confident and positive!”

Visit Manning's campaign site here.

Comments

1. What a horrible excuse for a death threat. No creativity involved and they didn't even spell "fagit" correctly. Does this surprise me? Not one bit. Clearly goes to show that bigots and the poorly educated go hand in hand.

Posted by: Clay | Aug 25, 2010 2:22:45 PM

2. See these are the death threats to fear, A poorly crafted one speaks of a stupid perp, and stupid perps can't be reasoned with or stopped.

Posted by: Fenrox | Aug 25, 2010 2:34:06 PM

3. "Christians" a compassionless and degenerate people.

Posted by: Art | Aug 25, 2010 2:35:23 PM

4. Interesting that I live in Wichita, though not this exact district, and this is the first that I've seen about this. Nothing has been in the local media about this.

Posted by: Troy F. | Aug 25, 2010 2:37:42 PM

5. Some knuckle dragging, mouth breathing right winger with entirely too much time on his hands leaves an anonymous threat taped to the candidates door. What a slimy little yellow bellied weasel this cretin must be. It wouldn't dare to confront head on a West Point grad with 8 years of military service. What a coward. This is what America is devolving into thanks to the likes of Fox, Limbaugh, McCain/Palin and the rest of the Neanderthal right. There must be something in the nation's water supply.

Posted by: Bob R | Aug 25, 2010 2:38:39 PM

6. The witch that Dan Manning is running against is very anti gay. Even if you don't live in Kansas please send a donation however small via paypal. Even $10 or $20 bucks will help Dan Manning become the first out gay legislator in Kansas. You know, Kansas the home of infamous hate monger Phred Phelps.

Posted by: Big Gay Jason | Aug 25, 2010 2:41:51 PM

7. I assume this came from a "Christian" exercising his/her right to free expression....the dangerous one here is obviously not the gay guy.

Posted by: Steve | Aug 25, 2010 3:23:47 PM

8. I don't know whether to be annoyed or write it off as a nut job looking for attention. I truly don't know how I'd feel having something like that taped to my front door. It certainly wouldn't stop me from doing what I normally do. But on the other hand I wonder if I would go about my regular routine with ears perked eyes watching and with a more cautious glide in my otherwise macho swagger.

Posted by: Stephen | Aug 25, 2010 3:57:23 PM

9. Troy F, It is my understanding that Candidate Dan Manning was waiting to allow the police to investigate before releasing any information. You should look to local news outlets such as KWCH CBS 12 today.

Posted by: Big Gay Jason | Aug 25, 2010 4:28:11 PM

10. The best way to get back at Landwehr is to have Manning kick her ass out of the Legislature. Want to help? Send money. Seriously. We're gays. We're supposed to have disposable income--sending Manning what it costs for 2 appletinis at the Abbey is plenty. Guess how much the average state representative race costs in Kansas? Not much, comparatively! Successful challengers usually raise about $20-25,000. Incumbents can get close to $50,000. The all-time record is Democrat Sean Tevis' Internet-fueled campaign with $109,000 in 2008. The donation limit is $500. Do it. Donate. http://www.manningforkansas.com/

PS-I'm not affiliated with the campaign or anything, I'm just a gay Kansan and I am tired of this shit. Manning got $50 from me and I'm poor as hell. But we gay Kansans can't do it alone--there aren't enough of us. But there are enough of you, precious Internet friends. Help us Internet, you're our only hope!

Posted by: Jason | Aug 25, 2010 4:30:01 PM

11. Pathetic turds. But at least they're up on their Teabonics!

Posted by: David R. | Aug 25, 2010 4:30:11 PM

12. http://blogs.kansas.com/gov/2010/08/25/house-candidate-receives-death-threat/

“If their point was to intimidate me, they did,” Manning said in an interview today. But he said the intimidation dissolved over the course of about half a day. “The only thing it really accomplished was to strengthen my resolve.”

Posted by: andrewo | Aug 25, 2010 4:48:04 PM

13. Thanks ANDREWO, great quote. With his background, I figured that would be his response. Stand strong Mr. Manning!

Posted by: David R. | Aug 25, 2010 4:51:41 PM

14. Ya think Sarah's going to support him with "Don't retreat...reload!" tweet?

Yeah, me neither.

Posted by: latebrosus | Aug 25, 2010 7:22:23 PM

15. If he win duh elekshun, he just gonna make up more uh dem speshul rites for dem peepuls.

Posted by: ManPuppy Gay Social Network | Aug 25, 2010 7:25:15 PM

16. Mr. Manning, I got your back. And you're quite handsome, I might add.

Posted by: Greg | Aug 25, 2010 10:51:53 PM

17. Mr. Manning, I'm CRAZY PROUD OF YOU. Your story and strength is heartwarming. To me ur a better leader and more important to our movement (long term) than Mehlman-types any day. Thank you for being wonderful and an inspiration.

to the haters ... we will overcome

Posted by: just a guy | Aug 26, 2010 2:21:37 AM

18. The response from the LGBT and straight community has been absolutely amazing!! I did not enter this race for glory or fame, I threw my hat in the ring to fight for the issues that are important to us all...jobs, education, the economy, and of course, equality. As a candidate, the campaign trail can sometimes feel long and lonely, but the love and support I have seen over the past 24 hours has been wonderful. Thank you. And my pledge to you is that I will keep fighting. I will not give up. I will be the voice our community needs here in Kansas for as long as I have a voice.

Posted by: Dan Manning | Aug 26, 2010 4:12:38 AM

19. The word that you are trying to use is "Faggot" you inbred, backwoods, Copenhagen chewin', banjo playin', overall wearin, moonshine drinkin', floppy hat wearin', ignorant motherfucker. Go back to Deliverance where you belong and just die, that is if some "Faggot" don't do it first.

Posted by: Jeff Dunivant | Aug 26, 2010 7:59:21 AM

20. I was very dishearted to see & hear of the death threat in this...or any race. What is wrong with people these days...I can think of no reason to behave this way. You can disagree with a person, you can vote or work for others, but to make threats like this is totaly Unamerican! While I can't vote or work for M. Manning because I live in Missouri, I can lend my moral moral support as a American, as a straight daughter of a gay man and as a loyal Democrat. I hope you win, Mr. Manning. Good luck.

Posted by: Cheryl | Aug 28, 2010 7:04:19 AM

21. There's the distinct possibility that Landwehr could be held *personally* responsible for the death threat!!

Rhetoric such as hers has been responsible for crimes against LGBTs for many years.

For some years now, Morris Dees of the SPLC has bankrupted a number of owners hate groups due to the actions of their followers. It'll be interesting to see whether or not she can be held responsible for this threat.

Posted by: Marlene | Aug 28, 2010 9:21:45 AM