Laura Schlessinger | News | Radio

BigGayDeal.com

Listen: Dr. Laura Schlessinger's N-Word Rant

Dr. Laura Schlessinger had a colorful exchange with a Black caller yesterday on her show. The caller was complaining about her White husband's racist friends and their use of the N-word. Here's some of it:

Drlaura

CALLER: Is it OK to say that word? Is it ever OK to say that word?
DR. LAURA: It depends how it's said. Black guys talking to each other seem to think it's ok.
CALLER: But you're not black, they're not black, my husband is white.
DR. LAURA: Oh, I see, so a word is restricted to race. Got it. Can't do much about that.
CALLER: I can't believe someone like you is on the radio spewing out the n***** word, and I hope everybody heard it.
DR. LAURA: I didn't spew out the n***** word!
CALLER: You said "n*****, n*****, n*****" and I hope everybody heard it.
DR. LAURA: Yes they did, and I'll say it again: n*****, n*****, n***** is what you hear on HBO.
[Crosstalk]
DR. LAURA: Why don't you let me finish a sentence? Don't take things out of context. Don't NAACP me, leave them in context. "If you're that hypersensitive about color and don't have a sense of humor, don't marry outside of your race,"

Listen to the rant, AFTER THE JUMP...

Said Schlessinger, in an apology: "These are my opening comments from my radio program today: I talk every day about doing the right thing. And yesterday, I did the wrong thing. I didn’t intend to hurt people, but I did. And that makes it the wrong thing to have done. I was attempting to make a philosophical point, and I articulated the “n” word all the way out - more than one time. And that was wrong. I’ll say it again - that was wrong. I ended up, I’m sure, with many of you losing the point I was trying to make, because you were shocked by the fact that I said the word. I, myself, realized I had made a horrible mistake, and was so upset I could not finish the show. I pulled myself off the air at the end of the hour. I had to finish the hour, because 20 minutes of dead air doesn’t work. I am very sorry. And it just won’t happen again."

Read the rest of her apology here.

Listen to the rant, in two parts, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. dead ideas....a lot worse than dead air.

Posted by: chris | Aug 13, 2010 7:30:40 AM

2. Well, Hell, if Mel Gibson thinks it's okay, then I guess it is!

Don't listen to talk radio, don't really watch cable news, don't really care.

Posted by: Rad | Aug 13, 2010 7:37:06 AM

3. Good on her for apologizing. But I'm much more shocked at Dr. L's very first objection, "I don't think that's racist," in response to the caller's complaint of the husband's friends saying "Black people do this, black people do that."

Um, what's the definition of racist then? I thought it was a person who attributes unrelated qualities to people based on a common set of genetic traits. Last time I checked, those genetic traits don't determine any common set of behaviors...

Posted by: Scot Colford | Aug 13, 2010 7:49:19 AM

4. That's the most racist rant I've seen in ages. She's appalling. And look how she blames the caller for other people's bad behavior. Telling her to get a sense of humor? Oh my God.

Posted by: yonkersconquers | Aug 13, 2010 8:00:38 AM

5. She's still around?

Considering her history, I'm more surprised that she apologized than at her use of the N-word.

Hostile taboo words were used to terrorize 'undesirable' marginalized minorities, to remind them of their unfavored and unprotected place.

No one should be using those words anymore, especially not the people those words were used to intimidate.

Posted by: jexer | Aug 13, 2010 8:13:21 AM

6. Spewing homophobic bull$hit hurts people, Laura; in fact, it kills. So, why do you still do that, huh?!

Posted by: bigolpoofter | Aug 13, 2010 8:22:59 AM

7. Scot, Obviously you must be a GOProud gurl or a rep from Gay Patriot. It's the context of how she was speaking. The woman wanted an opinion not an attack to say "Well Black Men say it to each other all the time"

The Bitch is LOONEY TUNES...

However it's 8:30AM I know Andy only put this rant up for the KKK Queens you know Jason, and that Grabbinnews Bitch so the spewing will commence in 5..4..3..2..1..

This has nothing to do with Gay news! Make a coin Towle ;-)

Posted by: Miss JuJu BeBe | Aug 13, 2010 8:30:25 AM

8. I think the WORST thing that has been done with that word was for black people to start using it again. The reasoning behind it's reintroduction is one that is weak and ignorant for it's delivery and frequency of use. With it's use in mainstream media such as TV and records; it has created a backlash of "when and who" can use it.

No other group so outwardly and publicly calls each other such harsh names. You NEVER hear Jewish people say "kike"; Hispanic people say "spick or wet back"; Asian people say, "chink or slant eyed"; Arab people say, "camel jockey"...

Posted by: True Words | Aug 13, 2010 8:36:54 AM

9. In her defense WHAT is the big deal? I completely understand the point she was making, and as a white person with black friends, never got the "ok-ness" of using the N-word among same race friends. I find it appalling

Posted by: mdtopdad | Aug 13, 2010 8:57:59 AM

10. She's an idiot. She's always been a hurtful idiot and she will remain a stupid grub. She has no degree in psychology or psychiatry which is what she proports to do on the radio. She simply showed America who she is and her producers made her apologize. I find nothing sincere about her other than her stupidity and vileness.

Posted by: Bart | Aug 13, 2010 9:03:21 AM

11. What I think is worse is the point she made about black people voting for Obama simply because he was half black. So did white people vote for him because he was half white? She was incredibly stupid and insensitive for using the N word - but we all know that anyway; no surprises there! All conservative talk radio is hateful and divisive. It caters to peoples worst qualities in order to make a buck; and causes so much harm. Shameful - and it's destroying our country.

Posted by: Mike | Aug 13, 2010 9:14:29 AM

12. Why in the name of all common sense would anyone call Dr. Laura for any advice?

Posted by: Mariele | Aug 13, 2010 9:20:23 AM

13. As much as I despise Dr. Laura (and I do despise her), I think she was trying to say that context is relevant when using derogatory terms. (Gay friends jokingly calling each other 'queer' would not be derogatory) Aside from that, she completely went off the rails. Her rant about voting for Obama was incredibly insulting and racist. As though the only reason black people would vote for Obama was because he is black... not that McCain and Palin are incompetent buffoons that would have destroyed our country.

Posted by: David in Houston | Aug 13, 2010 9:32:28 AM

14. "Doctor" Laura is still on the air?! Who knew?!

Posted by: Jon | Aug 13, 2010 9:33:41 AM

15. I love Dr. Laura. She went a little off kilter here but who cares? She helps people every day and gives excellent advice. I am with her on the count that everyone is so damned PC they are afraid to talk. So she said a word that a lot of walking wounded are sensitive to. She could have said faggot faggot faggot. Wouldn't have bothered me a bit. I listen to her frequently and know she is neither a racist nor a homophobe. It is all about context and people need to grow the f*ck up and stop giving words so much meaning.

Posted by: TK96 | Aug 13, 2010 9:40:55 AM

16. I actually agree with the point that Dr. Laura was attempting to make...and personally, I think that if she had said the word once, for all its' ugly connotations, I would have been fine with it.

However, Miss Thang went way overboard with it, talking about the election, her black bodyguard, etc.

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Aug 13, 2010 9:47:49 AM

17. and I'll say it again - c*nt, c*nt, c*nt!

Posted by: Sean | Aug 13, 2010 9:48:16 AM

18. This moron is so past her prime. I have no idea why she's even still on the radio and even more shocking is why this woman even called her for this kind of advice. She's an ignorant half-wit liar.

I love how she's the one who can decide when the word is funny. What a craggily faced conservative twit.

'Don't NAACP me!'

'Need a sense of humor' because SHE knows whats funny. We ALL go to her to find out whats funny.

I also love that she was so upset that she outed herself as a racist that she had to take the rest of the day off. Loser.

Posted by: princely54 | Aug 13, 2010 9:56:23 AM

19. I'm totally with Dr. Laura with this one even though normally I can't stand her. I'm sick of this double-standard with words and races, black people need to seriously lighten the fuck up and get over the color of their skin. They have more issues with the fact that they're black than caucasian people do.

Someone says something you don't like? "THAT'S RACIST!" Didn't get the job? "IT'S CAUSE I'M BLACK!" Things don't always go your way? "IT'S CAUSE I'M BLACK!"

What a wonderful life it must be to be non-white in Western society. Blame your race when things don't go your way - the perfect trump card to help get what you want everytime. :)

Posted by: Greenthumb55 | Aug 13, 2010 10:02:17 AM

20. Be sure to check out her official blog on "homosexuality" and those nasty gays giving her a hard time:

Oy.

BONUS! Dr. Laura's spread beaver (NSFW):

Posted by: JOHNINMANHATTAN | Aug 13, 2010 10:08:36 AM

21. Dr. Laura has completely lost hold of reality. I could say so much about her. I'll just say this: she says that so many black people voted for Obama because he is black; well, so many people still listen to Dr. Laura simply because she is a a racist, homophobic bigot, and she promotes their ignorant archaic way of thinking and life!

Posted by: Jim | Aug 13, 2010 10:15:48 AM

22. @Greenthumb55: Sorry, no. Check the fine print on the back of the Race Card: "Void during a black presidency."

Just ask Charlie Rangel.

Posted by: crispy | Aug 13, 2010 10:22:52 AM

23. She loves hearing her own voice no matter what crap that comes out of it.

Posted by: Piper | Aug 13, 2010 10:32:11 AM

24. The point is that blacks have lacked the power over their destinies. Living as second class citizens we lack the POWER (political and economic) to raise ourselves out of poverty, etc. So, when people make racist comments this is freedom of speech and maybe a lack of tact. When power is used to keep a race from enjoying their rights and having their freedoms then this is what true RACISM is. Don't be fooled by words. Actions are what is important.

Posted by: ChubbyLove | Aug 13, 2010 10:44:33 AM

25. The white people created and used the n word as a negative, and now, because blacks allegedly have "equal rights" it should be an acceptable word.
    And everyone knows, we women can call ourselves and our friends bitches and mean it playfully, but let some man or a stranger do it, and we are offended! That is the same thing. If a black wants to jokingly call another an n, then fine, but another race should not be allowed to do it. Should respectfully not do it.
    The white people whose very forefathers owned the forefathers of blacks today, have no right to assume they know what the black person feels, and it isn't their right to say that caller needs to get a sense of humor.
    Boo to you, Laura! You should be ashamed.

Posted by: Dodger | Aug 13, 2010 10:50:20 AM