Advertising | Gay Youth | News

'Man Up' That Sissy Kid of Yours — Send Him to Karate Class

Karate

Via Copyranter come these ads for a karate school in South Florida, for parents wanting to "man up" kids who express an interest in their mother's clothes.

Although it's undoubtedly better than this alternative.

Second ad, AFTER THE JUMP...

Karate2

Comments

1. It's clearly light-hearted. It's clearly a joke. It's clearly not mean-spirited. Honestly, leave this kind of phony, outrage-seeking to the professionals at taking offense over in GLAAD ...

Posted by: DavyG | Aug 13, 2010 9:23:35 AM

2. Its clearly insulting.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Aug 13, 2010 9:32:43 AM

3. Hey, at least the kid recognizes that Momma's got some fierce shoes!

Posted by: jimskater | Aug 13, 2010 9:34:19 AM

4. While I appreciate the humor of this ad (cause it is a bit funny and inventive and the ads are very nicely designed) I can't help but express concern over them as well. I WAS that kid who walked around in high heels and lipstick, and my parents DID send me to play soccer and Tae Kwon Do. They did it for health reasons, wanting me to be active and have an outlet for my ADHD, but giving parents the idea that their little boy needs to "man up" is a bit gross... Makes you wonder what aforementioned parents might do when little Johnny tells them he prefers Kevin to Kaitlyn.

Posted by: Patrick | Aug 13, 2010 9:34:47 AM

5. Life imitates art.

Posted by: Ben | Aug 13, 2010 9:37:47 AM

6. To be fair, that kid is going to need to know self-defense. Isn't it possible that the ad is trying to convey that instead of the nefarious message you're suggesting?

Posted by: RyanInSacto | Aug 13, 2010 9:44:11 AM

7. RYANINSACTO that's what I was thinking. These ads actually look kinda fierce to me, lol!

Posted by: Asher | Aug 13, 2010 9:49:52 AM

8. I agree with the last two posters. Karate isn't even usually seen as particularly "manly" anyway. It's designed for anyone to be able to do it. I think its saying that this little guy is gonna need to learn how to defend himself if he's going to be his fabulous self.

Posted by: George | Aug 13, 2010 9:53:44 AM

9. I think the message is a dangerous one, as evidenced by the linked article about the baby-killer although I agree that the design work is appealing.

It's hard to deny that what is being depicted in these ads is exactly what led to the demise of that poor 17-month old. Perpetuating this type of thought just breeds the idea that "manning up" is actually a possibility and an option to cure "the gay."

Beyond all of that, I'm surprised feminist groups haven't already jumped on this because what does it imply about women? What about women who want to do karate and the strength of women?

Posted by: Christopher | Aug 13, 2010 9:55:57 AM

10. God, this hits home. When I was in second grade, I remember racing home with the list of afterschool activities being offered by the school district. I was so excited that ballet was on the list. My dad was not. Our conversation went something like this:

Me: I want to take ballet lessons.
    Dad: You should take judo lessons. If you take ballet the other kids will tease you and beat you up.
    Me: The other kids already tease me and beat me up.
    Dad: If you take judo, you can beat the other kids up when they tease you.
    Me: I don't want to beat up the other kids, I want to take ballet.
    Dad: You're taking judo lessons.

I ended up studying judo for three years. Never did get the ballet lessons, but I was the only boy in the gymnastics class.

Posted by: Smartypants | Aug 13, 2010 9:59:55 AM

11. I just really like the images. Kind of remind me of myself many years ago

Posted by: adam | Aug 13, 2010 10:09:08 AM

12. My parents sent me to Boy Scouts in order to 'man me up.' That's where I learned how to suck dick.

Posted by: dave | Aug 13, 2010 10:09:44 AM

13. I hate the phrase "Man up". It's usually the straight guys who need to man up who use the phrase the most.

Posted by: Maverick69 | Aug 13, 2010 10:27:55 AM

14. @DAVE

Probably the best comment I've heard all week

Posted by: Christopher | Aug 13, 2010 10:30:32 AM

15. The ads are insulting. Kids should be kids, not bullied and boxed into strict, archaic gender roles pushed on them by their parents and society. Too many LGBT youth try to and do commit suicide annually.

I was that little boy would dress up in Mommy's clothes when she wasn't looking. I played with my sister's Barbies, AND my GI Joes, Voltrons and Tonka trucks. I didn't want to learn automotive like Dad, I learned to cook and bake with my Mom. My father pushed me into the Scouts, football, Little League, soccer, karate... anything he could to get me to act more like the other little boys. I tried, too. I joined the JROTC and a fraternity. Oh, I learned A LOT about men...

Being pushed onto other men -- coaches, teachers -- to butch me up, I became a victim of abuse. Decades later after much therapy, I know I shouldn't have been made to feel insecure, weak and unsure of myself. I am who I am. I should have just been left to be a little boy.

Incidentally, my Dad later told me he used to cook and bake too when he was younger. Especially when he was angry or stressed. I told him, I do the same and asked him why he quit. "Men don't do that," he said. And I said, "How sad you think that way."

Posted by: JTlvr | Aug 13, 2010 10:38:09 AM

16. I took karate to "man up" when I was a kid. The only thing I succeeded in doing was breaking my arm. The ads are cute -- but dangerous things can come in cute packages. They are discriminatory. They reinforce homophobia and gender discrimination. They should stop.

Posted by: david | Aug 13, 2010 10:40:43 AM

17. It's for the better, gay men need to learn some self-defense skills anyway. We should all learn some karate, so we don't get bullied and beaten up all the time.

Posted by: YvesPaul | Aug 13, 2010 10:41:59 AM

18. @ Dave, did we go to boy scout camp together? ; )

Posted by: RONTEX | Aug 13, 2010 10:42:35 AM

19. @YvesPaul: I do like your interpretation. After looking again, I get a kind of mixed message.

The LGBT is going to get picked on, we need to learn how to defend ourselves if we're to be who we really are.

So yeah, go take karate lessons. But fight to be who you are.

Posted by: JTlvr | Aug 13, 2010 10:50:53 AM

20. Studying martial arts for the past 18 years hasn't made me any less inclined to put on a pair of high heels.

Posted by: Aspen | Aug 13, 2010 11:01:34 AM

21. Given all the articles lately on gays getting beaten up. It's probably not a bad idea if we, All, went and had a few karate lessons. Heck, even nude karate and then some nude yoga...for stretching.

Posted by: Frozen North | Aug 13, 2010 11:09:04 AM

22. I am more offended by Karate than anything else. Such a fucking scam, just work out and do gymnastics and you will be fine for any non weapon fight in your life.

Posted by: Fenrox | Aug 13, 2010 11:15:25 AM

23. @RyanInSacto - I agree with you. I guess the interpretation is in the eye of the viewer.

Posted by: Pete | Aug 13, 2010 11:29:46 AM

24. I am all for gay youth being trained in martial arts. It give them the confidence they need to walk the halls of their future high school. My parents put me in Judo where I learned tolerence equals strength. This could go a long way to getting bigoted families to bring their kids to a place where they actually learn not to be bigoted and take care of themselves. And I still vaccuum in a pump with a 3" heel.

Posted by: Jon Mitchell | Aug 13, 2010 11:33:25 AM

25. we have those EXACT red heels in our Pines house!

Posted by: b mac | Aug 13, 2010 11:42:52 AM