Portia De Rossi to Take Ellen DeGeneres’ Name

Portia_ellen

Portia de Rossi will soon be Portia Lee James DeGeneres, TMZ reports:

"Portia has filed a petition to legally change her name to Portia Lee James DeGeneres. She filed the papers in L.A. County Superior Court last Friday.

As for why … the petition says, 'Petitioner is taking the last name of her spouse.'"

The couple married in August 2008.

Comments

1. says

Well, I guess we know who wears the pants in that family.

I hope this marriage lasts, but somehow, with the age difference and Portia’s career taking a huge nose-dive (she could have been the next Julia Roberts), I just don’t think they’ll still be together in five years.

2. excy says

So, at age 15 Amanda Lee Rogers became Portia de Rossi and now she becomes Portia Lee James deGeneres.
    I always thought it was strange to change your name and odd to change your name to the name of your partner. It seems old-fashioned.
    But actually it is none of my business and I wish the best for these two women.

3. TANK says

See, that’s the only reason I’d get married. So that someone could take my name, and essentially, be my property. I mean, if I don’t own my mate, there’s no point to having one. I want ownership rights. That and someone to do shit that I don’t want to do, like fetch me drinks, cook, clean and do the laundry.

4. Stephen Murray says

How disappointing. Same-sex marriage (just like opposite sex marriage) should not mean sacrificing your identity for your partner. It seems weird to want to change her identity like this.

5. henry says

i don’t see why this is necessary. aside from being old-fashioned and irrelevant, straight couples don’t need to file a name change petition to take their spouse’s name as their own.

6. Brendan says

I can’t see how this is “disappointing”. If you want to take your spouse’s last name, you should be free and proud to do so. If you don’t want to, then just keep your own name. Why is it so complicated?

7. Paul R says

I’d hardly call it sacrificing her identity. As someone noted, she’s already changed her name once. I’m sure she’ll keep de Rossi (or her producers will) for professional engagements. Otherwise people will be confused when someone refers to “that lesbian DeGeneres” (kidding).

Speculating on anyone else’s relationship, even if you know them well, is futile and presumptuous. No one knows what goes on in their private lives but them. I think everyone has known couples where you think, What does he/she possibly see in him/her? Yet they endure happily.

Plus, these two have been together quite a while, and this move suggests that their relationship is quite healthy (though I agree that changing your name is a dated practice). It could be a gesture driven by romance, politics, or myriad other reasons. Not to mention, lesbians aren’t allowed to break up, are they?

8. Alexander says

“‘Petitioner is taking the last name of her spouse.'” Wow, it really is that simple, huh? We argue so much over the marriage issue, that the gender-neutral term “spouse” is neglected. But it IS that simple, regardless of genders… I think it’s sweet.

9. Bryan Harrison says

Isn’t marriage a many-splendored thing? Domination, sacrifice of identity, conformity… monogamy, jealousy, sexual possessiveness, entitlement, social status, allowing the state a say in your most intimate relationships (oops – “relationship” – you’re only allowed one).

But who needs imagination, self determination, creativity, or integrity when a few legal perks are at stake?

10. CKNJ says

So much bitter snarkiness… neither Portia nor Ellen have stated what YOU should do, so why deride them for a perfectly normal decision that they are able and allowed to make for themselves? No-one is making YOU do it! Jeez, for people who demand that the world “let us be us” and accept us for that, we sure are an unforgiving and judgmental bunch!

Me? I wish them all the happiness in the world, and if what they have is what they want, more power to them!