Don't Ask, Don't Tell | Military | News

Top-10 Ranked West Point Cadet Resigns Over 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell'

Miller

West Point Cadet Katherine Miller, a junior ranked ninth in her class, came out as gay to her superiors yesterday, and offered her resignation, saying she could no longer compromise her integrity and identity, Knights Out reports.

Wrote Miller in the letter to West Point:

… I have created a heterosexual dating history to recite to fellow cadets when they inquire. I have endured unwanted approaches by male cadets for fear of being accused as a lesbian by rejecting or reporting these events. I have been coerced into ignoring derogatory comments towards homosexuals for fear of being alienated for my viewpoint. In short, I have lied to my classmates and compromised my integrity and my identity by adhering to existing military policy.

While at the academy, I have made a deliberate effort to develop myself academically, physically, and militarily, but in terms of holistic personal growth I have reached a plateau. I am unwilling to suppress an entire portion of my identity any longer because it has taken a significant personal, mental, and social toll on me and detrimentally affected my professional development. I have experienced a relentless cognitive dissonance by attempting to adhere to §654 [colloquially known as “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell”] and retain my integrity, and I am retrospectively convinced that I am unable to live up to the Army Values as long as the policy remains in place.

According to a press release from Knights Out, Miller will be transferring to Yale on a scholarship from the Point Foundation. She was featured in the Sunday print edition of the Washington Post as part of “The Gray Zone: West Point on Leadership.” Miller has also been blogging anonymously at Velvet Park as 'Private Second Class Citizen'.

Knights Out was the group formed by Lt. Dan Choi and other openly gay graduates of West Point in March 2009 as a support group for LGBT service members.

Comments

1. you go girl!

Posted by: Asher | Aug 10, 2010 10:03:09 AM

2. Integrity, brilliance, ethics and an impeccable moral code. Her remarkable valor ought to shame her West Point superiors to their marrowbones.

Posted by: yonkersconquers | Aug 10, 2010 10:12:04 AM

3. Can't wait to see where this gal goes with her talent and chutzpah.

She has all the integrity our government lacks.

Posted by: stephen | Aug 10, 2010 10:12:05 AM

4. BRAVO!

Posted by: Verdon Coleman | Aug 10, 2010 10:20:18 AM

5. She is brave! I hope to see her standing next to Lt. Choi in the fight to end DADT

Posted by: KFLO | Aug 10, 2010 10:23:19 AM

6. She is a hero. I hope when all is said and done these man and women can re-enlist.

Posted by: that'sright | Aug 10, 2010 10:42:35 AM

7. Wow. Someone with integrity - how rare it is and how encouraging.

Posted by: Tonic | Aug 10, 2010 10:43:41 AM

8. Yet another example of a genuinely committed and able person who would have contributed positively to the military, lost because of DADT. Like all those Arabic linguist booted out when their services were most needed: THEY were disobeying orders about fraternization among themselves, but that could have been handled in ways that kept them onboard to do a job that's needed.

Posted by: gregorybrown | Aug 10, 2010 11:06:18 AM

9. "I have created a heterosexual dating history to recite to fellow cadets when they inquire."

Wow, she must've fooled everyone.

Posted by: bojo | Aug 10, 2010 11:13:32 AM

10. and she'll probably have to pay back the government for the cost of her two years at West Point.

Posted by: Anonymous | Aug 10, 2010 11:31:02 AM

11. Bravo!

Posted by: critifur | Aug 10, 2010 11:41:41 AM

12. Brava, Katherine. Placing a high value on personal integrity and ethical conduct may have derailed her military career, but that kind of attitude will make her a success in anything she chooses to pursue from here forward.

Posted by: The Milkman | Aug 10, 2010 11:51:00 AM

13. sad thing is that she's going to be on the hook for several thousands of dollars to West Point for her education

Posted by: Grover Underwood | Aug 10, 2010 11:51:42 AM

14. Yes that's sad indeed, but then again lots of people end up taking on debt for their college education. It's good debt... she'll be okay. :)

Posted by: The Milkman | Aug 10, 2010 12:02:37 PM

15. Go ahead girl. This is the sad situation they are in. They are to avoid the issue, pushed to create a heterosexual dating history or say nothing at all in some nonthreatening conversation... How is that going to promote and build trust between cadets? Death to DADT.

Posted by: hoyt | Aug 10, 2010 12:08:49 PM

16. Heartbreaking.

Posted by: SSCHIEFRSHA | Aug 10, 2010 12:26:44 PM

17. Hey Fierce Advocate, are you listening?

Posted by: MikeMick | Aug 10, 2010 1:04:40 PM

18. Striking a blow for equality and transferring from Westpoint to Yale all at once -- well played, Ms. Miller!

Posted by: Pender | Aug 10, 2010 2:07:36 PM

19. Wow, she actually took the honor code of West Point Seriously. She has more integrity than some Four-Star Generals.

Posted by: Dino | Aug 10, 2010 5:17:47 PM

20. I'd get in a foxhole with her.

Posted by: chris | Aug 10, 2010 6:31:49 PM

21. Brave girl, and very sad that she has to do this. We should be beyond this sort of thing by now.

Posted by: Pitt90 | Aug 10, 2010 7:11:31 PM

22. Too bad our President does not have the balls to fix the travestry of DADT. Promises, promises.... Vote Republican this year. At least we know where we stand with those retrogrades.

Posted by: Joe | Aug 10, 2010 7:43:41 PM

23. Awesome set of choppers. Wish my teeth were that straight.

Posted by: ratbastard | Aug 10, 2010 9:43:03 PM

24. This is how you handle yourself if you are a gay person and no longer wish to be in the service - you don't hide photos of your boyfriend on your phone and hope no one finds it. Brava!

Posted by: JNJ | Aug 11, 2010 8:21:12 AM

25. Actually, she can walk away from West Point this week and not owe the government a dime for the $200,000 already spent on her education. That obligation doesn't occur until next week when all Cadets of her class become obligated to serve for seven more years.

Yes, the policy is wrong, yes the policy is outdated, yes the policy puts the L+G service members under a lot of unnecessary stress, but it is going away. And when it goes away, the real heros are those who stuck it out, not jumped ship for a better deal.

She does say in her resignation letter that she will come back if the policy goes away. I sure hope that she has the honor and integrity to follow through with that promise, but for some reason, I am skeptical.

Posted by: Matt | Aug 11, 2010 2:54:28 PM