Top-10 Ranked West Point Cadet Resigns Over ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell’

Miller

West Point Cadet Katherine Miller, a junior ranked ninth in her class, came out as gay to her superiors yesterday, and offered her resignation, saying she could no longer compromise her integrity and identity, Knights Out reports.

Wrote Miller in the letter to West Point:

… I have created a heterosexual dating history to recite to fellow cadets when they inquire. I have endured unwanted approaches by male cadets for fear of being accused as a lesbian by rejecting or reporting these events. I have been coerced into ignoring derogatory comments towards homosexuals for fear of being alienated for my viewpoint. In short, I have lied to my classmates and compromised my integrity and my identity by adhering to existing military policy.

While at the academy, I have made a deliberate effort to develop myself academically, physically, and militarily, but in terms of holistic personal growth I have reached a plateau. I am unwilling to suppress an entire portion of my identity any longer because it has taken a significant personal, mental, and social toll on me and detrimentally affected my professional development. I have experienced a relentless cognitive dissonance by attempting to adhere to §654 [colloquially known as “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell”] and retain my integrity, and I am retrospectively convinced that I am unable to live up to the Army Values as long as the policy remains in place.

According to a press release from Knights Out, Miller will be transferring to Yale on a scholarship from the Point Foundation. She was featured in the Sunday print edition of the Washington Post as part of “The Gray Zone: West Point on Leadership.” Miller has also been blogging anonymously at Velvet Park as 'Private Second Class Citizen'.

Knights Out was the group formed by Lt. Dan Choi and other openly gay graduates of West Point in March 2009 as a support group for LGBT service members.

Comments

1. yonkersconquers says

Integrity, brilliance, ethics and an impeccable moral code. Her remarkable valor ought to shame her West Point superiors to their marrowbones.

2. stephen says

Can’t wait to see where this gal goes with her talent and chutzpah.

She has all the integrity our government lacks.

3. gregorybrown says

Yet another example of a genuinely committed and able person who would have contributed positively to the military, lost because of DADT. Like all those Arabic linguist booted out when their services were most needed: THEY were disobeying orders about fraternization among themselves, but that could have been handled in ways that kept them onboard to do a job that’s needed.

4. bojo says

“I have created a heterosexual dating history to recite to fellow cadets when they inquire.”

Wow, she must’ve fooled everyone.

5. Anonymous says

and she’ll probably have to pay back the government for the cost of her two years at West Point.

6. says

Brava, Katherine. Placing a high value on personal integrity and ethical conduct may have derailed her military career, but that kind of attitude will make her a success in anything she chooses to pursue from here forward.

7. Grover Underwood says

sad thing is that she’s going to be on the hook for several thousands of dollars to West Point for her education

8. says

Yes that’s sad indeed, but then again lots of people end up taking on debt for their college education. It’s good debt… she’ll be okay. :)

9. hoyt says

Go ahead girl. This is the sad situation they are in. They are to avoid the issue, pushed to create a heterosexual dating history or say nothing at all in some nonthreatening conversation… How is that going to promote and build trust between cadets? Death to DADT.

10. Pender says

Striking a blow for equality and transferring from Westpoint to Yale all at once — well played, Ms. Miller!

11. Dino says

Wow, she actually took the honor code of West Point Seriously. She has more integrity than some Four-Star Generals.

12. Pitt90 says

Brave girl, and very sad that she has to do this. We should be beyond this sort of thing by now.

13. Joe says

Too bad our President does not have the balls to fix the travestry of DADT. Promises, promises…. Vote Republican this year. At least we know where we stand with those retrogrades.

14. JNJ says

This is how you handle yourself if you are a gay person and no longer wish to be in the service – you don’t hide photos of your boyfriend on your phone and hope no one finds it. Brava!

15. Matt says

Actually, she can walk away from West Point this week and not owe the government a dime for the $200,000 already spent on her education. That obligation doesn’t occur until next week when all Cadets of her class become obligated to serve for seven more years.

Yes, the policy is wrong, yes the policy is outdated, yes the policy puts the L+G service members under a lot of unnecessary stress, but it is going away. And when it goes away, the real heros are those who stuck it out, not jumped ship for a better deal.

She does say in her resignation letter that she will come back if the policy goes away. I sure hope that she has the honor and integrity to follow through with that promise, but for some reason, I am skeptical.

16. says

I love Olbermann. Obama presented himself as a progressive in the primaries and during the campaign. Once elected he moved to a centrist right position. Now he criticizes the “left” for holding him to his campaign promises.

I knew we were electing another Bill Clinton with Obama. Clinton was a tremendous disappointment (especially NAFTA), but I had no idea how disappointing Obama was going to be.

I’ve left the Dems for the Greens.

17. GaryJ says

This young lady is an example of what: courage, integrity is and if West Point had any courage and integrity, they would refuse her resignation and do away with DADT.

Courage and integrity are what great leaders are made of! God bless you, Katherine Miller!