Baseball | Canada

Baseball Manager To Gay Ump: 'I Ought To Kick Your Ass, You Faggot'

We all know that managers of professional sports teams can get a little worked up over certain calls made by umpires. It looks like Brent Bowers, the manager of the Golden Baseball League team, the Edmonton Capitals, may have crossed the line. Bowers was ejected from a game wherein his team was playing after he confronted openly gay umpire, Billy Van Raaphorst and dropped the f-word.

Bb The Edmonton Journal fills us in on what Bowers is alleged to have said to Raaphorst when he lost his temper:

Raaphorst's official report of Bowers ejection cited Bowers saying: "You know what I heard? I heard you are a (expletive) faggot. The rumour from several managers and people at the league is that you are a fag. The report adds that Bowers hollered: "I ought to kick your ass, you faggot."

Some are even calling this a hate crime.

Initially, there was some confusion as to whether or not Bowers was fired or had resigned.  The team's president, Patrick LaForge clears things up:

"Brent's activities, in our terms, went beyond what's acceptable. We support the Golden Baseball League in their decision to suspend him for the balance of the season, and we further support Brent's decision to resign."

"We did not ask for him to resign. He has chosen to resign and get on with his life."

Asked why the club didn't summarily terminate Bowers, LaForge said: "I think he got it (resignation) out of his mouth before we could say it. We were going through the process of reviewing the league's decision on the suspension and its implications on us as an organization. I was with Brent at the time and he took it upon himself to resign."

Bowers, who has admitted to directing the hateful words to Raaphorst, has been ordered to pay a $5,000 fine.

Comments

1. I'd like to take this moment to send a hearty "Fuck you" to Mr Bowers.

Posted by: Jordan | Aug 8, 2010 5:05:18 AM

2. MMMMM no home town pride on my part here...and people wonder why I was so anxious to get out of there....and that was over 10 years ago!

This is progress?

Posted by: turnipHed | Aug 8, 2010 5:57:54 AM

3. Actually, I would say it's progress. The guy resigned because he likely knew he'd be fired. And he's out $5K.

Would that have happened 10 years ago? Probably not. And never will come the day when dumbasses don't say dumb things, but he's lost his job (however you look at it, he would still be employed if he hadn't said what he did) and is paying a hefty fine. I'm not sure you can ask for much more than that.

Posted by: Paul R | Aug 8, 2010 6:43:37 AM

4. The whole newspaper article is worth reading because the issue of homophobia is clearly avoided by all of the team and league officials. Not once did the team president or league president mention the wrongness of homophobic slurs. And the LaForge, the team president, couldn't even mention anything close to sexual orientation when discussing Edmonton's diversity. You can imagine them all squirming and sweating as much as David Axelrod when asked these questions by reporters. Kudos for the paper for calling this one as it should be seen -- clear homophobia.

Posted by: Tim | Aug 8, 2010 6:44:07 AM

5. I outta kick your fucking ass back into the fucking stone age, prick!

Posted by: SSCHIEFRSHA | Aug 8, 2010 7:55:58 AM

6. He and a host of others will now hate gay people even more...unless he enrolls in tolerance rehab.

Posted by: 2 cents | Aug 8, 2010 8:09:03 AM

7. @2 CENTS...

Even more? As if it's the fault of gay people that he and this "host of others" are bigots.

Posted by: RJ | Aug 8, 2010 9:52:42 AM

8. I'm sorry this guy was living in the old world... gratefully, society increasingly understands that his behavior is beyond the pale.

Seems to me the whole situation was handled very well, and FAR more people will hear the story and learn from it.

Change is a comin'

Posted by: stephen | Aug 8, 2010 10:26:24 AM

9. Great post. BTW, it's 'umpire' not 'empire' (in the first paragraph)

Posted by: Danny | Aug 8, 2010 10:42:31 AM

10. "Bowers was ejected from a game wherein his team was playing after he confronted openly gay empire, Billy Van Raaphorst and dropped the f-word."

I think you meant to write "openly gay UMPIRE" . . .

Posted by: David | Aug 8, 2010 10:43:39 AM

11. if he's lucky, the man's career should be over...

Posted by: mike/ | Aug 8, 2010 11:24:57 AM

12. Against better judgement I went to a bar a few months ago with a few people that I went to high school with and had one of them ask me "I've heard some rumors and I want you to be honest with me, are you a faggot?"

It's [not] funny, that these people can't seem to decide if they are going to "tolerate" us as long as we keep our perversion behind closed doors and they don't have to hear about it or if they feel we are obligated to disclose our sexuality.

Posted by: John M | Aug 8, 2010 11:29:21 AM

13. Good. Bowers asked for it, Bowers got it. Too bad, so sad, don't let the door hit your bigoted ass on the way out...

Posted by: wirrrn | Aug 8, 2010 11:43:15 AM

14. Very good he is out of the team and league.

Posted by: Matt26 | Aug 8, 2010 12:03:38 PM

15. This kind of outcome is more likely in a society where gays are treated like the equal members of the community as they legally are in Canada.

In the US? Not so much. Here in America, it would be a controversy for 3-4 days, suspensions and apologies, but I doubt the guy would have been fired/resigned. It would be a 'teachable' moment...

Posted by: princely54 | Aug 8, 2010 12:14:22 PM

16. I love it when these bigoted assholes get what they deserve.

Posted by: River Kali | Aug 8, 2010 1:45:14 PM

17. Geez john what an ungracious dick of a question.

Posted by: cmh | Aug 8, 2010 2:06:25 PM

18. "What does this say to a gay or lesbian athlete who is currently with the Edmonton Oilers or on the Edmonton Capitals?"

Why do journalists and even the go-to gay "spokespeople" tend to talk in these redundant and/or non-applicable cliche phrases ("gay and lesbian," "GLBT," "openly gay") whenever addressing issues having to do with gay people?

Even if there were any gay women on either of these teams, the addition of the words "and lesbian" would seem redundant. But they are two ALL MALE teams, so it goes without saying that not a single gay woman and/or lesbian is "currently" on either of them.

Also: the umpire is "gay." It should go without saying that ANYONE so described is at least somewhat "open," (otherwise there would be no basis for using the adjective) except in cases where hiding one's sexuality is a part of the story.

Posted by: GregV | Aug 8, 2010 2:23:21 PM

19. A hate crime? The last time I checked, being an insulting, bigoted, asshole wasn't a crime.

Posted by: Bryan Harrison | Aug 8, 2010 2:39:35 PM

20. Bowers should having gay sex with me.

Posted by: dards | Aug 8, 2010 3:31:38 PM

21. B.S.....Who doubts there are many in Edmonton and elsewhere who have zero problem with what he said and did? His organization simply didn't want to deal with the endless protests and possible legal/civil liability ramifications. People are deluding themselves if they think ultimately this makes society in Alberta,Canada or elsewhere more tolerant.

Posted by: ratbastard | Aug 8, 2010 4:18:00 PM

22. JOHN M, I hope you responded, "Unless you want to suck my dick I can't imagine why you would ask or why you would care".

Posted by: TampaZeke | Aug 8, 2010 5:55:22 PM

23. no, John M, I hope you responded with, "Faggot? Looky, cunt, I want you think real hard about the next words you utter, because this is about to get very personal and very physical real soon. Did you mean gay?"

Posted by: TANK | Aug 8, 2010 6:33:35 PM

24. I'm with Tank, though I probably would have just told him to fuck off, explained why to my other friends, and either had the person leave or leave on my own and see which of my real friends came with me.

Posted by: Paul R | Aug 8, 2010 7:42:03 PM

25. Oh, no, I made it very clear how offensive the comment was to not only him but everyone at the bar, even those not in the group. It was as close to becoming a "scene" as it could be without being one.

Posted by: John M | Aug 8, 2010 11:32:55 PM