Advertising | Australia | Gay Marriage | News

Watch: Australian Gay Marriage Parody of the Old Spice Commercial

Oldspice

As you may know, Australia is going through its own marriage equality battle too.

The new election comedy show Yes We Canberra just did this parody of the Isaiah Mustafa Old Spice commercial highlighting the refusal of both major political parties in Oz to support gay marriage.

"You're on a boat, with the man your man can't marry."

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Can someone from Australia explain to me what secular arguments an atheist PM has for refusing to support gay marriage? In the states, I always blamed the right's opposition to gay marriage on irrational religious bigotry.

Posted by: Matt | Aug 18, 2010 2:04:02 PM

2. @Matt,

I'm not from Australia but the only reason she would do that is that she's desperate not to lose the conservative vote, which means she is willing to give up her principles over popularity, which pretty much makes her a whore.

Posted by: Chris K | Aug 18, 2010 2:16:08 PM

3. I'm Australian, and what Chris said is true. The religious right has been trying desperately over the passed decade to gain more political influence, and it's definitely had some impact.

Julia Gillard, like Obama, gives me the distinct impression that she actually thinks that same sex marriage is a non-issue, and should be law. It's just every time she opens her mouth publicly that makes me think otherwise. It's so disheartening that otherwise intelligent people feel the need to pander to the lowest common denominator. I vote for leaders that lead, not for them to read opinion polls and make a statement.

Gillard should be a real Australian and grow a pair.

Posted by: James | Aug 18, 2010 2:40:02 PM

4. My best friend happens to be Australian, and just moved back to the States after working in the Prime Minister's office for the past year (since their government kinda fell apart, he lost his job during the transition). According to him, Gillard's 'opposition' to marriage equality is mostly rooted in the fact that she doesn't want to alienate the leadership within her own party (Labour), although the more right-wing party (the oddly-named Liberals) is perhaps more dedicated to being against gay marriage. In her heart of hearts, she most likely is in support of it (as is, I hope and pray, President Obama).

Posted by: Scott | Aug 18, 2010 7:13:14 PM

5. Simple political cowardice, as Chris K and James have said above. But I don't think its the religious vote so much, rather the fear of upsetting the "swinging voters" in the marginal seats parties need to win to form government. Almost every policy put forward by the Australian government these days is designed to win the approval of these people. So if they don't support marriage equality, there's no way the government is going to touch it. A sad state of affairs.

Posted by: James D. | Aug 18, 2010 7:29:17 PM

6. Julia Gillard has said before that, while it is not the parties position to support gay marriage, she is commited to correcting the imbalances in civil unions and what-have-you. I think it is a bit much to expect her to cross party lines, or passionately campaign for it when she herself doesn't seem to put much stock in marriage itself, having been in a defacto relationship for however long.

Posted by: Samson | Aug 18, 2010 9:14:17 PM