Comments

1. Matt says

Can someone from Australia explain to me what secular arguments an atheist PM has for refusing to support gay marriage? In the states, I always blamed the right’s opposition to gay marriage on irrational religious bigotry.

2. Chris K says

@Matt,

I’m not from Australia but the only reason she would do that is that she’s desperate not to lose the conservative vote, which means she is willing to give up her principles over popularity, which pretty much makes her a whore.

3. James says

I’m Australian, and what Chris said is true. The religious right has been trying desperately over the passed decade to gain more political influence, and it’s definitely had some impact.

Julia Gillard, like Obama, gives me the distinct impression that she actually thinks that same sex marriage is a non-issue, and should be law. It’s just every time she opens her mouth publicly that makes me think otherwise. It’s so disheartening that otherwise intelligent people feel the need to pander to the lowest common denominator. I vote for leaders that lead, not for them to read opinion polls and make a statement.

Gillard should be a real Australian and grow a pair.

4. Scott says

My best friend happens to be Australian, and just moved back to the States after working in the Prime Minister’s office for the past year (since their government kinda fell apart, he lost his job during the transition). According to him, Gillard’s ‘opposition’ to marriage equality is mostly rooted in the fact that she doesn’t want to alienate the leadership within her own party (Labour), although the more right-wing party (the oddly-named Liberals) is perhaps more dedicated to being against gay marriage. In her heart of hearts, she most likely is in support of it (as is, I hope and pray, President Obama).

5. James D. says

Simple political cowardice, as Chris K and James have said above. But I don’t think its the religious vote so much, rather the fear of upsetting the “swinging voters” in the marginal seats parties need to win to form government. Almost every policy put forward by the Australian government these days is designed to win the approval of these people. So if they don’t support marriage equality, there’s no way the government is going to touch it. A sad state of affairs.

6. Samson says

Julia Gillard has said before that, while it is not the parties position to support gay marriage, she is commited to correcting the imbalances in civil unions and what-have-you. I think it is a bit much to expect her to cross party lines, or passionately campaign for it when she herself doesn’t seem to put much stock in marriage itself, having been in a defacto relationship for however long.