Democratic Party | News | Tim Kaine

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: DNC Chair Tim Kaine Answers Questions from LGBT Voters

Kaine

What have the Democrats done for you? DNC Chair Tim Kaine is here to tell you.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

(via washington blade)

Comments

1. Spin spin spin. Talk talk talk.

I wish someone would ask these fools, point blank, this question: Virtually everyone suggests that Democrats will lose seats in both chambers of Congress in the fall elections. If you couldn't get it down with as many votes as you have now, why should anyone believe all this spin that it's something you'll get done after Nov. 2nd?

Posted by: MrRoboto | Aug 3, 2010 4:37:40 PM

2. get it "down" should be get it "done"

Posted by: MrRoboto | Aug 3, 2010 4:38:34 PM

3. Patronizing.

If you want my votes, show me something more than HUD making a few gestures against discrimination in housing, or HHS trying to help partners of seriously ill people in hospitals. It's not that these things don't matter. They do. Very much.

But these are crumbs, really, compared to what we need. Would trying to get hospitals to be decent even be an issue if marriage was recognized?

70%-75% of gays and lesbians typically vote for Democrats. Perhaps most will continue doing so (who else is there? politically homophobic Republicans?). Or, alas, some may just quit contributing and volunteering and voting.

I'll continue voting for Democrats, that's for sure. But it will be in spite of Kaine's pathetic video, not because of it.

Posted by: K in VA | Aug 3, 2010 4:49:17 PM

4. There is "so much more to do" but from my observation there isn't anyone "doing it."

To be LGBT in the USA is to be less than a full citizen. The whole world knows it and most people don't care.

Posted by: Sane Soul | Aug 3, 2010 5:04:38 PM

5. @K IN VA ...and the problem is Democrats KNOW you'll continue voting for them in spite of their pathetic videos, so what incentive do they have to change? huh?

Posted by: Elli | Aug 3, 2010 5:06:57 PM

6. Yeah, yeah, you hear our frustration. But you do not exactly share it. If you put gay rights at the top of the list, you would have done something by now. But is is merely another small issue to you,

Posted by: Joel | Aug 3, 2010 5:11:53 PM

7. Send a message to the Democratic party this year, don't vote and then hopefully they can see the value of courting us with action rather than words.
    Sure, they may lose some control in Washington, but we survived eight years of Bush so we can survive a couple of years again. At least they will receive our message loud and clear. No action = no vote, no money, no support.

Posted by: major707 | Aug 3, 2010 5:30:57 PM

8. I stopped listening at "we have a long way to go, but..."

Posted by: Tollendyr | Aug 3, 2010 5:38:41 PM

9. @MAJOR707-
    AMEN, and AMEN!
    I've been a Democrat for 20 years. And, though I'll still be one, I'll be one that's home sitting on his hands on election day.
    HOW MANY DOJ briefs will it take before realizing that these people hate our guts TOO?
    It's not a matter of which are the bigots and which are the well-wishers. BOTH parties are the party of bigotry.
    NO votes. NO money. NO support.

If these Democratic politicians will give me their vote in Congress and the W.H., then they'll once more get mine.

Posted by: Justin N | Aug 3, 2010 5:41:04 PM

10. This must be frustrating to LGBT people in US.
    The idea asking questions direct was a good. BUT a politician is a politician and speaks politics. A succesful one never answers anything directly. He does exactly it, talking talking talking, wondering around the real issues.
    He hasn't guts to say anything, because the Democrats has much to loose. Reality is the party needs voters in the middle. True politician, first thinks his own position then the others.
    Would you really like to have Republican majority?

Posted by: Matt26 | Aug 3, 2010 5:45:41 PM

11. Vote for progressive and vote Democratic. There is no choice for any sane homo unless you honestly think that the GOP cares for you and yours. Unless you are the owner of a large block of stock in a multi-national corporation, they don't, but they will gladly take your vote. Although usually they have to blow a dog whistle to remind you that they hate the same folks that you do or fain interest in denying a woman the right to control her body. Now if you’re a homo and you’ve got a nice trust fund and you fear people of a darker shade, go on with you right wing self but don’t kid yourself, you are a bigot. Sadly there were Jews that supported Hitler and there are still homos that support the GOP but thankfully not many. The Democratic Party does take us for granted and they should. Why should they doubt that we think the sky is blue or water is wet? Our support for progressive democratic candidates should be constant, strong and unwavering. They have been out only partner in the successes that we have thus far achieved and the only partner that will continue to work on out behalf in the future. If you have any doubt, try watching five minutes of FOX “news” without vomiting, and reassess.

Posted by: Dave | Aug 3, 2010 5:59:42 PM

12. Verbal diarrhea...

Posted by: Jeremy | Aug 3, 2010 6:30:33 PM

13. @Dave: There is always a choice. Gays in blue states could stay home on election day and keep those wallets shut, the DNC will notice the missing votes and $$$, they have already.

Those of us who live in free states like Massachusetts should definitely consider voting Republican in 2010. The Mass GOP is running an openly gay candidate for Lt. Gov. and the party has accepted marriage equality as settled law.

The outrageous DOMA and DADT briefs filed by Obama's Justice Department are reason enough to abandon Obama and the Democrats. But the record also includes no movement on ENDA, still discharging people under DADT, still taxing gay couples health benefits, still kissing Rick Warren's ass, still pouring millions of corrupt aid into "kill the gays" Uganda, etc. Oh yeah and billions for Wall Street, endless war in Afghanistan, very progressive.

Gays who aren't masochists should stay home on election day and keep your wallets shut tight.

Posted by: Alex | Aug 3, 2010 6:50:12 PM

14. Yea, yea, yeah... You may have introduced the non-discrimination measures in VA when you were Gov but the current Gov overturned them.

I want to know why the recent DNC survey I received asking me to prioritize 14 policy issues that I would like to see the Dems take-on did not include ONE GLBT issue. Doma Repeal wasn't mentioned, DADT repeal wasn't mentioned, ENDA wasn't mentioned. NOTHING....

Posted by: David | Aug 3, 2010 7:17:39 PM

15. Well folks, what you have here are two evils that you should consider the lesser of come November. Something is always better than nothing, even if it's not enough. Nothing is NEVER better than anything, which is what you get when you stay home and not vote.

Fine, keep your purses shut tight, but don't bite the hand that is most likely to support your cause come election time. The Dems are still going to lose control of the house, how bad will be determined by you.

Posted by: Keith | Aug 3, 2010 7:19:20 PM

16. "Those of us who live in free states like Massachusetts should definitely consider voting Republican in 2010."

Since your very moderate Scott Brown voted to repeal DADT, right? Oh, wait . . .

We should consider voting Republican when the Republicans are better than the Democrats. Currently, with rare exceptions, they aren't a viable alternative for anyone who cares about gay rights.

I live in a "free" state, VT, and I plan to reward the Democrats in my state who overrode the Republican governor's veto of marriage equality and who stepped up to the plate when we asked them to. The few Republicans who voted our way will also get gay votes in their districts, as they should. They're heroes. But why replace Dem's who would vote our way with Repub's (like Scott Brown) who won't.

Not that that excuses the Dem's lackluster leadership. It's reasonably to withhold our $ until they do better and to let them know why they won't be getting that cash. Voting Republican out of spite accomplishes nothing but a setback.

Posted by: Ernie | Aug 3, 2010 8:17:38 PM

17. THIS gAyTM is STILL closed...

Posted by: TomTallis | Aug 3, 2010 8:54:38 PM

18. To me it's very simple. Is it perfect? No. But am I'm going to stay with the party that will crack the door or with the party that will slam the door in my face. That's how I vote. Do I think Obama and his admin have done what they could have, no I don't. Do I think Hillary or John Edwards would have done more. Probably not. Am I sure that Obama has and will do more than McCain/Palin, hell yes. I'm not giving up on Obama or the Democratic party. We should just push and push them. But as we saw in the Bush years, all the pushing in the world will get you nowhere.

Posted by: dpbfeb | Aug 3, 2010 9:26:36 PM

19. Sorry, but the ONLY "push" a politician or a political party is the push of a closed wallet and the push of losing elections, PERIOD.

I've NEVER missed voting in my adult life; not national, not state and not local. This year I will be breaking my perfect record and not voting. In a way I WILL be voting with my absence and with my refusal to give one red cent to the Democratic Party.

Others can do whatever they feel is right but for me deciding to stop being a stool pigeon, a reliable ATM, a tireless work horse and sure vote for the Democratic Party is the right thing for me this year.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Aug 3, 2010 10:18:50 PM

20. Kaine is A LIAR! He declares that "no change" can happen "overnight."

1. Obama could legally end discharges in no longer than it would take him to pick up a pen and sign an Executive Order until "repeal" happens. [See federal law 10 USC 12305.]

2. He could take TWO MINUTES to order his DOJ to stop defending DOMA and DADT in court.

3. Then take two more to tell Pelosi, Reid, and all Congressional Dems that he expects ENDA and UAFA passed THIS session.

Posted by: Michael @ LeonardMatlovich.com | Aug 3, 2010 10:35:07 PM

21. I support progressive candidates and only vote for a Democrat if I feel s/he represents me adequately or if I know the opposition is particularly hateful.

But I do not support the DNC. Backwards, meek lot they are.

Posted by: Rey | Aug 4, 2010 12:12:15 AM

22. If yopu faggot think you'll survive this GOP as rabid as they are this time around. If they get power you are FOOLISH it's a WRAP! As rabid as they are about Minorities especially the latinos. What makes you think the Hate crimes Bill cannot get repealed?

Girls please if you survive is the question

Posted by: Pinky Pumps | Aug 4, 2010 12:35:34 AM

23. OMG Spare me,
    Queens blowing HOT AIR as usual. Stop the Gaytm. You all know DAMN you won't make a dent to the Democratic Party. So girls please.

In the end we as a community will still SUFFER!

Posted by: RED DEVIL | Aug 4, 2010 12:40:13 AM

24. Tim Kaine needs to apologize for his failure to veto the most bigoted anti-gay marriage law in the Unites States. He needs to come out for full marriage equality and apologize for the bigoted statements he has made in the past about gay parents. His selection as DNC head was slap to the face for all LGBT Americans who know anything about him. Until he repudiates and apologizes for his anti-gay bigotry, I will view him as nothing but the piece of shit that he is.

Posted by: Landon Bryce | Aug 4, 2010 12:41:55 AM

25. When you alienate your base and INSULT them, the base will alienate you The Dems lame typical blabber of TALK no action and 'where are they gonna go?' means nothing. The days of voting 4 someone with a 'D' next 2 their name is OVAH! I am also keeping my pledge DON'T ASK DON'T GIVE

Posted by: FunMe | Aug 4, 2010 3:24:05 AM