Barack Obama | Don't Ask, Don't Tell | Katherine Miller | Military | News | Victor Fehrenbach

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: Rachel Maddow Hammers Obama on 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell'

Maddow_dadt

Outed U.S. Army Captain Jonathan Hopkins, Cadet Katherine Miller (who resigned from West Point this week because her conscience could not handle living the lie any longer), and Lt. Col. Victor Fehrenbach, who last night announced he is suing to block his DADT discharge, appeared on Rachel Maddow's show last night in a blistering segment excoriating the White House for the way it has handled the DADT repeal process.

Asks Maddow:

"If you are changing the policy soon, why not hold off the ruination of lives under the policy now, in the meantime? Why not do that? Ill tell you why. Because that would take some political capital. That would take some guts. And liberals, according to this White House, ought to be drug tested if we're expecting to see that from this White House right now. Stop complaining and be happy with what you have."

Watch Maddow's "Right to Serve" segment, in four parts, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I'll show up to the polls... and I'll write in "Rachel Maddow." Because *she deserves* our votes.

Posted by: Tollendyr | Aug 12, 2010 8:42:07 AM

2. I know that I'm not military material, but I come from a military family (dad and grandpa were Air Force). From a very early age, I've known and understood what these men and women do for the rest of us every single day. Every time I watch a story on DADT, it moves me to tears. I really hope we soon see the end to this ridiculous policy, or at the very least the end to its enforcement. Big thanks to Rachel Maddow (I have such a girl crush on her) and the rest of the journalists for telling the stories.

Posted by: Joey Watkins | Aug 12, 2010 9:59:57 AM

3. That was a great show, and the just the type of reporting needed to show the public, military leaders and political leaders the true cost of this policy. Well done.

Posted by: Jay | Aug 12, 2010 10:23:11 AM

4. I hope Rachel Maddow keeps running this story until we repeal the DADT policy.

Posted by: Dawnell_do | Aug 12, 2010 10:38:39 AM

5. I grew up in a military family also, and both my parents said they *always* knew of gay members of the armed services. (This goes back to the 40s, folks - my parents are in their 80s now.) My dad always said most people never cared about someone's proclivities as long as they did their job. He thinks it's the height of hypocrisy for the armed services to be stalling the repeal of DADT (which we all know is what's happening here).

There is no good time to make a radical change. Thanks, Rachel, for keeping the pressure on!

Posted by: Steve | Aug 12, 2010 10:56:07 AM

6. Why is that Rachel Maddow can call for a moratorium on DADT dischages, but the ones whose careers are destroyed by them can't? Neither Fehrenbach nor Dan Choi have called for an immediate end to the hemorrhaging of LesBiGay military personnel.

Posted by: Stuffed Animal | Aug 12, 2010 1:10:32 PM

7. With respect, Animal, Dan Choi has REPEATEDLY called for an immediate freeze.

LT COL Fehrenbach, hero that he is, is still repeating what he's been told by SLDN to say, though I'd imagine they might now realize the error in that position.

Posted by: Michael @ LeonardMatlovich.com | Aug 12, 2010 3:56:29 PM

8. I must say their facial expressions are really interesting!

Posted by: Eeainelj | Aug 19, 2010 9:01:51 PM