Eddie Long | News | Religion

Eddie Long Accuser Jamal Parris Speaks Out: 'He Was Like A Dad To Me'

Jamalparris

Jamal Parris, one of the four men who have accused anti-gay Pastor Eddie Long of sexual abuse, spoke out about the trauma yesterday.

Here's a bit of what the 24-year old told Atlanta's Fox affiliate about the alleged violations, and how Long "seduced" him into a place of submission:

His presence alone is seduction to a young man without a father. You look at him and he's everything you want to be, he's everything you see and you dream to be and being around him, it's almost like a drug. You can't believe the places you've added to your life and the cars that you're driving and the people that you're meeting, so it becomes 'If I want to continue to feel this love and this power, I'll do whatever my dad wants me to...'

If Parris and his peers are telling the truth, then Long's far sicker than any of us may have imagined.

Watch the rest of Parris' statement, AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. After seeing the other young men on youtube hatefully spew sexist and homophobic rhetoric and after hearing this young man this morning I now think that things just don't add up and that, whatever happened, this is more about getting money than anything else. These young men were NOT children! There was no rape as even they claim. They accepted lavish gifts and it seems that they may want more.

Seems to me that NOBODY's hands (or ass) are clean in this affair and that Pastor Longs to pay these men off and make them sign non-disclosure agreements.

Posted by: veg | Sep 29, 2010 11:43:56 AM

2. Another so-called religious "leader" bites the dust. One can only hope that this will be a wake-up call to all those involved in Black churches to the homophobia and manipulative sexual behavior of the down-low (& really low) sexual proclivities of those who would lead and indoctrinate their "flocks". Is it any wonder that HIV is epidemic among Black inner city males?

While not an example of child sexual abuse (they were technically adults before Long put the "make" on them), this may certainly be an example of sexual bullying and abuse of authority, and perhaps a form of prostitution (gay for pay).

Posted by: Jerry | Sep 29, 2010 12:01:34 PM

3. They were under age and preyed upon by a homophobic and hypocritic "man of God." If true, the actions were against the law, both man and God's, and he should be punished by both man's law and God's law. Bye, bye megachurch and mega lifestyle. Long is beginning to look a little Haggard now.

Posted by: Howard | Sep 29, 2010 12:07:23 PM

4. Bishop Eddie "Down Low" Long Duk Dong.

I hope Parris et al get everything.

Posted by: MarkDC | Sep 29, 2010 12:09:07 PM

5. Actually, Howard, the age of consent in Georgia is 16 years old. Thus, whatever happened was NOT against the law. This is about money, power, and reputation.

Yes, Eddie Long is a sick, filthy homophobic monster, and a vicious cult leader.

But based on the videos I've seen of them, these young men are not innocent waifs. They are grifters and players who accepted lavish gifts and are engineering for more.

I am a lesbian woman who is the survivor of rape. No means no. I said NO and fought like hell. After a certain again you know fucking damn well when someone is seducing you and some of these young twinks play up their wiles to get attention, money, and whatever it is they want.

I am not letting any of these characters off the hook.

All of them are fucking freaks to me.

Posted by: veg | Sep 29, 2010 12:12:57 PM

6. Eddie Long better hope he can settle this out of court and buy their silence. Because not only will the gay predator rap follow him but the IRS will be looking closely at him using un-taxed funds to buy young men jewelry, houses, cars, whatever. And what's with this private jet? Who is this bastard, the Pope? You gotta wonder what is going through the minds of his congregation after they've been dumping their hard earned money into his collection plate every Sunday.

Posted by: Bart | Sep 29, 2010 12:17:10 PM

7. Veg & Jerry: I see some of your points & these guys may be wanting some money. However, these were poor & father-less kids taken in by the pastor when it all started. Predators go after the most vulnerable & that's what this pastor is. He waited until they were of age to protect himself. Long is a monster.

Posted by: scar2 | Sep 29, 2010 12:17:16 PM

8. Jamal Parris came across as very candid, calm and articulate. Doesn't really scream gold-digger to me. I have to disagree with Veg.

Posted by: Vince In Weho | Sep 29, 2010 12:20:40 PM

9. Vag is using the time-honored tradition of projecting a personal experience on everyone else in the world. Because these guys didn't "fight like hell" they must be culpable.

Try to demonstrate a tad more intellect.

Posted by: crispy | Sep 29, 2010 12:27:22 PM

10. Veg, you cannot possibly compare your situation to these boys' situation.

Being "raped" and being "groomed for consensual sex" are two very different things. Long preyed on these kids when they were too young to understand what was happening. And when you believe in someone with authority, they can do no wrong in your eyes. Especially when everyone around you (numbering in the THOUSANDS) reveres that man as well. So you feel special being selected by that authority figure to be lavished with attention and gifts. You might have had a point if Long had started to groom them AT the age of 16. But that is not the case. These fatherless men were indoctrinated as kids. Religiously, sexually, psychologically, physically. So of COURSE you are going to hear them spout the same homophobic, sexist bullshit that their surrogate father-pastor is spewing. It's a cult, just like any other church.

Posted by: RW | Sep 29, 2010 12:32:44 PM

11. Veg: I understand why you think Parris et al. are not simply victims and are in some ways complicit in being manipulated, and to some degree I agree with you. On some level they knew they were being seduced. But I think it's pretty harsh to simply dismiss them as "fucking freaks."
    I am more interested in Long not being let off the hook. I hope nothing is settled out of court and that the lawsuits go forward to reveal how nasty and hypocritical Long is. He is a monster, for what he has done to these young men and for the virulence of his preaching against homosexuality and gay people.

Posted by: MichaelJ | Sep 29, 2010 12:41:43 PM

12. "If" they're telling the truth? That's about as heartless a statement as you could possibly muster. Gee, I wonder if that young man whose life has clearly been destroyed by Eddie Long is telling the truth? Gosh, could it be?

And I don't know what degree of sickness you thought Eddie Long possessed before these revelations, but he's a man whose entire public life has been dedicated to destroying innocent people. DESTROYING INNOCENT PEOPLE. That wasn't sick enough for you? And is it so hard to believe that he would also do it private?

Posted by: ohplease | Sep 29, 2010 12:42:08 PM

13. Veg, it is absolutely horrifying to see someone who survived such a terrible ordeal flip the situation and partake in prototypical victim blaming against these young men.

I am honestly agape at your inane comments in this post.

Think before you speak, because right now you look incredibly ignorant.

Posted by: Calvin | Sep 29, 2010 12:55:30 PM

14. The age of consent between an ADULT and young adult / child is 18 in GA and elsewhere. 16 is the age of consent between two teens of similar age, I think no greater than a two year age difference.

The reverend is a fucking pervert. Would anyone blame these dudes for using un-PC language under the circumstances? If It happened to me I think I'd kill Long. And these dudes probably aren't gay to boot. They appear to me to be genuine victims.

Posted by: ratbastard | Sep 29, 2010 12:56:11 PM

15. Ratbastard is correct. AoC laws are complicated and the general rule to think of is no one under 18 if you are an adult.

Posted by: anon | Sep 29, 2010 1:18:35 PM

16. Veg, there's a difference between being raped and being molested. RW hits it right on the head.

Posted by: antisaint | Sep 29, 2010 1:20:26 PM

17. If they weren't before, the IRS and other authorities have got to be looking at this organization now. Private planes, $300,000 Bentley, Rolexes, luxury mansions and lavish international trips... and boy toys.

Televangelists with megachurches are running a big scam, all tax-free! It's big business.

I do believe that God wants us all to be happy and prosperous, but abusing power, money and others for greedy, selfish motives is not in that plan.

Posted by: JTlvr | Sep 29, 2010 1:24:03 PM

18. I can see where most of you guys are coming from (some of your comments--like calling me "VAG"--are predictably sexist but I'm used to this).

I've met a lot of survivors, let me tell you. And we aren't SAINTS. Some truly are gold diggers who do not admit to all sorts of things. PLEASE remember that a small percentage of those who have been sexually assaulted in their lives go on to become predators, scammers, or grifters themselves.

I was on the side of many of you BEFORE I saw the youtube videos and BEFORE I saw this vid here.

Furthermore, PLENTY of women and men grow up without FATHERS and DO NOT then claim to have had sexual relations with a 50 year old man.

At some point we have to draw lines.

If all of a sudden after 50 years you remember a "repressed" memory, then (as many psychological professional have also claimed) something may be awry in your claims of abuse.

If you accept YEARS worth of gifts, NEVER complain of any abuse, and then, after breaking into a man's office and making sexist and homophobic videos for youtube you get with a shady lawyer and file suits for civil damages against a pastor then something is wrong and you are not telling the whole story.

Does this absolve Pastor Long? FUCK NO! He is a monster and scum who deserves the worse.

But, like I fucking said: no one's hands are clean in this shit.

And NO means NO!

Posted by: veg | Sep 29, 2010 1:34:22 PM

19. I watch that video...and it makes me ill.

His word choices, his tone, the inner conflict between his knowing what happened and lingering feelings for his abuser...it's all so creepy. He call Mr Long 'father' and professes love!

The situation reminds me of the Catholic priests and all that. That quiet seduction. But Mr Long is worse in knowing how to coax them early, but not engage in anything blatantly sexual until they'd reached legal age. Atrocious.

What's wrong with our world that this kind of stuff happens? And if it's happening like this here...imagine what happens in less...I guess the word would be civilized parts of the world. Reminds me of that scene in I Am Because We Are where they meet the little boy who was randomly attacked by thugs who mutilated his genitals for no good reason. Just the evil within man.

Posted by: Ben | Sep 29, 2010 1:41:22 PM

20. I think Vag has a rewarding career ahead of her writing pamphlets for high school guidance offices.

NO Means NO!
    There's a Hair Down There
    I Can't Stop Touching Myself
    Cut Paper, Not Your Arms

Posted by: crispy | Sep 29, 2010 2:01:25 PM

21. Wow!!! Did he or did he not use his position to munipulate these young men, the age in which the sexual act actually took place is sooooo irrelivent and anyone who thinks otherwise is ridiculous.

He speaks out as being Anti-Gay but is committing homosexual acts, also making him a hipocrit. Not to mention he is a MARRIED MAN cheating on his wife in the worse possible way.

He is a liar, cheat, pervert and doesnt deserve to hold the title of BISHOP...

The very first time I saw him televised, I knew he was a down low brotha by the way he talked, moved, dressed. Im surrised that it took as long as it did for his indesgretions to be revealed.

Im afraid people that this will be a dominoe effect and there will be more pasters and men positioned in leadership. A lot of covers are about to be pulled off a lot of people, so hold strong in your faith and know that GOD is GOD all by himseld and stop putting all FAITH in MAN, because they fall short, some more than others.

Posted by: MissRambo | Sep 29, 2010 2:05:23 PM

22. Veg, you are still not getting it.

First of all, it's interesting that you think being called Vag is sexist but calling these men "fucking freaks" is a-ok. I'm just saying.

Anyhoo, this isn't an issue of "saints and sinners." This is an issue of right and wrong. You can't judge these men based on the "golddiggers" that you know. Every situation and every person is different. Of COURSE plenty of fatherless kids grow up without having sex with adults. BUT THEY WERE NOT BEING GROOMED TO HAVE SEX BY DEIFIED PREDATORS EITHER! And what teenager do YOU know is going to complain about receiving gifts, starting at the age of FOURTEEN? Especially from someone who is considered a trusted mentor and a part of the family? And how do you know the lawyer is shady, exactly?

All I hear from you are presumptions. I would think that you would avoid blindly judging people since you are so "used to" it happening to you.

Posted by: RW | Sep 29, 2010 2:23:52 PM

23. I wonder who received those bathroom pics of Long. Pastors with iPhones or his victims?

Posted by: Ishaq | Sep 29, 2010 2:24:10 PM

24. WOW, a man using his position and power to have sex with hot younger people. Thats NEVER happened in the history of mankind. NEVER.

Posted by: BD | Sep 29, 2010 2:31:03 PM

25. veg I guess I'm a f**cking freak too since my molester started buying me any my family clothes,food ,school supplies taking me to practice etc after our father died.For 3 years he was like a father 2 me. He never did anything inappropriate until I turned 14 . Then tickling turned to massages them to fondling and then to sex by the time I was 15. This went on for 2 years. I didn't tell my mom for 10 years because I felt such shame. I also engaged in gay bashing so my friends wouldn't think I was gay. So I'm not a victim because I was 15 and I knew it was wrong and I accepted gifts from this man, right.

Posted by: Ken | Sep 29, 2010 2:44:15 PM