BigGayDeal.com

Rachel Maddow Illuminates Latest Culture War: 'Carrot Schtick'

Maddowgrab

It's tempting to claim that the culture wars only involve bold-faced, controversial subjects like sexuality or gender identity. Such a position, however, ignores the many ways conservative policy players influence the impressionable public.

As MSNBC's ever-astute Rachel Maddow highlighted last night, culture wars comes in different shapes and sizes, especially when it has to do with healthy food or soda.

With the First Lady embarking on yet another crusade for healthy living -- and eating -- in America, right wing leaders like Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh are lining up to knock her down.

"Get your damn hands off my fries, lady," said Beck on his Fox News show. "If I want to be a fat, fat, fatty and shovel french fries all day long, that is my choice -- but, oh, not so fast anymore, because now we have the new fact... We have government health care now." Maddow points out that Beck and his ideological peers are trying to create the illusion that Mrs. Obama will be policing the American people's kitchens.

As irrational as this fear may sound to -- you know, most people, Maddow's right on the money when she says, "If you want culture war politics again, if you want pure 'us versus them' that is unsullied by actual policy, this is rich territory for the right."

Watch Maddow's analysis, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. The saddest part is; she is correct.

Posted by: Rad | Sep 24, 2010 8:53:02 AM

2. Like anyone cares if that 2 fat pigs get heart attacks and dies because of their eating habits. I've been eagerly awaiting Limbaugh's on air coronary for quite some time.

Eat what you want, assholes. No one is keeping you from dropping dead. We'd prefer you do it as soon as possible.

Posted by: Terry | Sep 24, 2010 8:55:25 AM

3. French Fries are now more American than Freedom Fries!

Posted by: Gus | Sep 24, 2010 8:58:17 AM

4. The problem is that fatties like Rush and Glenn clog our health care system with illnesses easily preventable by putting down that 3rd KFC bacon chicken burger.

I applaud their war on health and well being. I can't think of anything that makes them look more ridiculous. Like the 'pro-lifers', can we call them the pro-fats? Better yet, can those who propose a healthy lifestyle now take the mantel of pro-life?

Posted by: Gregoire | Sep 24, 2010 9:40:58 AM

5. She's absolutely right, as usual.

But that over-annunciating, academic, Lesbian speech pattern makes my ears bleed and only makes her sound strident, self-righteous and defensive.

Her consonants are sharper than a machete blade.

I mean, just talk Rachel. Remove the indignancy and emotion from your voice and just say things plainly. We get it and we know you're right.

Posted by: MarkDC | Sep 24, 2010 9:46:35 AM

6. Okay so, when is it that all sane people are going to leave this stinkhole of a country again? Everyday, something new...

Posted by: Andalusian Dog | Sep 24, 2010 9:53:34 AM

7. If every other post on this site is going to be an MSNBC clip, and now they don't even have a tangential relationship to gay issues, maybe you should consider renaming the blog. There may be a lot of overlap between "urban gay" and "liberal" but this kind of mission creep is so undergraduate-gay-students-alliance.

Posted by: Matt | Sep 24, 2010 9:57:49 AM

8. BTW, I support 1,000% the First Lady's emphasis on obesity and eating better. I was reading about a study that said by 2020, SEVENTY FIVE PERCENT of all Americans will be either overweight or obese. That's more than a little alarming. And yes, that motivated me to try to eat better and exercise more.

Posted by: Terry | Sep 24, 2010 10:01:16 AM

9. @Matt: you should considering visiting other blogs then.

I don't get these people who, just because they don't like what they see, demand that things be changed instead of just going somewhere else where they don't feel so utterly offended.

and,
    @Markdc: Same thing -- if you don't like Maddow, why watch her?

Posted by: topher | Sep 24, 2010 10:07:00 AM

10. @Markdc: "Lesbian speech pattern"? What is a "lesbian speech pattern"?

Posted by: JeffNYC | Sep 24, 2010 10:11:05 AM

11. @Markdc

I agree with you. She is definitely one of those people whose opinion I am sort of on board with (see, I can't even say I agree) but SHE puts me off. Like if she said that dark chocolate truffles were the best truffles in the world in that same tone she uses ALL THE TIME I might have to think of a reason why dark chocolate might not be the best.

She's like the Left's version of Anne Coulter. You can be right without being snide and alienating. I don't know if anyone has told her that.

Posted by: Rin | Sep 24, 2010 10:14:55 AM

12. Since anything goes when it comes to comments on this blog, then rin and markdc are not gay, that is a fact, they just hate women. I have proof.

Posted by: topher | Sep 24, 2010 10:17:52 AM

13. Um, @Matt - there's a lot of astronomy on this site, too. Last time I checked, there weren't too many gay nebulas out there. I believe the intent of this blog is to present items of interest to people with half a brain, with an emphasis on gay issues - but not exclusively so. There's also a weekly bit on music, and on movies - not gay music or gay movies. Certainly the dangerous politics of the ultra-right wing bear watching by us queers even when its not directly hammering us at that moment.

And frankly, I'm glad this is a place I can easily find all the pertinent Rachel and Keith clips without having to slog through MSNBC or YouTube. YMMV.

Posted by: Zlick | Sep 24, 2010 10:18:40 AM

14. @Topher,

you realize that's the argument for discriminating against gays and lesbians in country clubs, private workplaces, and religious schools, don't you?

"Well, no one is forcing you to join!"
    "They just want to come in and change everything!"
    "Why do we have to accommodate them?"

Maybe part of the goal is to spread understanding and compromise, instead of fueling separatist fires?
    Sound familiar?

Posted by: Rin | Sep 24, 2010 10:18:59 AM

15. @Rin:
    Dude, visiting blogs is not a civil rights issue last time I checked. If you don't like it, go someplace else!
    Jeez, if I don't like some gym or some church or some school or some store, I just don't go there -- seriously, there are plenty of other choices to suit your special needs.

Posted by: topher | Sep 24, 2010 10:23:38 AM

16. These people are truly nuts. If LBJ was in office, they'd be raising hell that Ladybird Johnson's flowers cost taxpayer money and calling it the "War on Blight."

Posted by: crispy | Sep 24, 2010 10:49:19 AM

17. seriously Crispy...and Nancy Reagan's "Just Say No" policy...can you hear Glenn beck now "If I wanna d Drugs all day long I'll do'm".....same with Rush Fatbaugh ad his Oxicotin

Posted by: Disgusted American | Sep 24, 2010 11:05:48 AM

18. "She's like the Left's version of Anne Coulter."

That is the most idiotic thing I have read in a week. My brain just exploded inside my skull reading that.

And I'm loving the low, misogynistic attacks on Rachel Maddow's VOICE, of all things. "Over-annunciating, academic, Lesbian speech pattern"? Perhaps she should dumb herself down or speak like Snooki so that she can gain your personal respect.

Posted by: Gregoire | Sep 24, 2010 11:07:15 AM

19. Well, there is that ban on trans fats in NYC, Rachel. And they tried to ban/tax soda and "junk" food. However, rest assured, as there is no effective treatment for obesity, it will just continue to get worse. It's like saying that cancer patients are a burden on the health care system.

Posted by: anon | Sep 24, 2010 11:56:40 AM

20. "It's like saying that cancer patients are a burden on the health care system."

Scratch that, THIS is the most idiotic thing I have read in a week.

Being fat and heart attack because you can't stop eating fried food is not the same as having a brain tumor, you dipshit.

True obesity is not an inevitabily or a random uncertainly, except in minor cases involving the dysfunction of other organs.

Maintaining health and weight is just like any other core discipline that we need to get through the world. Could you imagine if Glenn Beck came out and said 'Well, I don't want to learn to read!" or 'Why do I need to know how to count?"

Posted by: Gregoire | Sep 24, 2010 12:32:25 PM

21. No effective treatment for obesity? What about diet and exercise? Heck, I've known of multiple successful stomach stapling surgeries for people who were diagnosed as morbidly obese.

It's more like saying that smokers put a burden on the health care system.

Posted by: Randy | Sep 24, 2010 12:37:30 PM

22. When we can't attack her arguements we attack... her "lesbian speech pattern"?

How warped do you have to be to even compare her to Ann Coulter? That woman breathes hatred and dishonesty, oh but Rachel's sarcastic 'tone' is just too much to bear.

Why don't you just admit you don't like those 'Massachusetts liberals' who just can't understand the 'common folk' and their special needs that require speaking their dialect and "understanding" their struggle to emerge from the dark ages they are so willfully endeared to.

Posted by: Wes | Sep 24, 2010 1:05:34 PM

23. More lard soaked french fries for them all! Scalia too.

Posted by: jexer | Sep 24, 2010 1:10:27 PM

24. Republicans do not like facts. Witness the Texas Board of Education. Reality is the enemy of Republicanism. Choice is the enemy of Republicanism.

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | Sep 24, 2010 1:19:38 PM

25. And Rush Lamebaugh and Glen "I used to do drugs,ha,ha" Beck will be the only ones able to afford health care if the Repugnacants get their "Contract With America." Everyone else will just have to suffer. Talk about your "Death Panels."

Posted by: mad1026 | Sep 24, 2010 1:34:51 PM