Dan Choi | Don't Ask, Don't Tell | Harry Jackson | Military | News

Watch: Dan Choi Wipes the Floor with Harry Jackson on 'DADT'

Choi)_jackson

This segment took place on Monday nightbefore any of the action went down yesterday in the Senate, but it's still relevant, and nice to see religious bigot Harry Jackson put in his place.

Says Choi: "You know, something that we learned in Iraq is that when a military is subordinated to the interests of a religious minority or a religious group of any sort, you have the same kind of social problems that the Middle East has that the countries that we are trying to liberate and to improve have and I don’t think that America is built on those same foundations….I’ve faced racism in this country and homophobia and Harry Jackson I think it feels exactly the same."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Wow, my stomach churned watching this.

I think Dan Choi is a great figurehead for this cause, but it makes me sad that we even need one in the first place for a policy that is so flagrantly unconstitutional it is absolutely indefensible.

The irony of a black man saying all these things about the US Military is killing me. Wonder how he felt about the desegregation of the military only a few decades back.

Posted by: Calvin | Sep 22, 2010 1:23:54 PM

2. God Bless Dan Choi. He is fighting for us more than almost anyone else. I admire him with all my heart.

Posted by: Terry | Sep 22, 2010 1:28:09 PM

3. What Choi should have said is that if it wasn't for "liberal, democratic agendas" 50 years ago, Reverend Jackson wouldn't haven't even been allowed on this news program to discuss this issue. How quickly people forget in just 50 short years what discrimination in this country was like for African Americans. And how they don't seem to recognize the same discrimination against gay americans today.

Posted by: Matt | Sep 22, 2010 1:37:49 PM

4. "I don't think it's a civil rights issue -"
    "I do!"
    "Well, obviously YOU do."

These...ugh, I'm so mad. The arrogance of this bastard, as if he and his ilk weren't screaming for the same things fifty years ago under the flag of civil rights. "You don't count, cos you're a fag and you can change." Scum.

Posted by: 7 | Sep 22, 2010 1:46:57 PM

5. @ Calvin x10
    I really don't like how condescending the pastor is with his manner. Lt Choi held his own fine and really got to the root of it: whether it's color or sexual orientation, discrimination feels the same.

I'm amused by the argument of liberal democrats pushing their "radical gay agenda" on the country, it sure doesn't feel that way!

Posted by: Joel V | Sep 22, 2010 1:48:59 PM

6. Matt:
    You are 100% correct. That is what is so painful at times for me. I am for all minorities but often am shocked to see that they do not think I deserve the same fairness I want for them. Love Dan choi's last line "Discrimination does not need to be studied, It is wrong period." I also thought that his statement about racism and homophobia feeling exactly the same, is quite powerful.

Posted by: Tom in long beach | Sep 22, 2010 2:02:14 PM

7. Amazing.

Posted by: Jay | Sep 22, 2010 2:08:19 PM

8. Why the hell is a pastor commenting on "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" repeal?!

Posted by: Christopher | Sep 22, 2010 2:08:19 PM

9. I agree with Christopher. He is not in the military, he is not gay, and he is not an expert in the affairs of either group. Perhaps he should butt out . . .

Posted by: Geoff | Sep 22, 2010 2:25:52 PM

10. I've never understood the ban on gays in the military. First, I certainly don't want to fight so more power to anyone who does want to. Second, they have no problem creating separate quarters when it comes to men and women so if that is the issue (someone will see me naked and be aroused) then create separate quarters. What's the big deal? They had the same complaint over women serving and fixed it with separate quarters. Done.

The ONLY thing I have ever heard an active duty heterosexual say that was remotely anti-gays serving was the shower thing. They said that the military separates me and women for that reason. Other than that...they really didn't care.

But then...the military doesn't always make sense to me, like the officers and enlisted thing. Why aren't enlisted ranks allowed to work their way up into officer programs (not warrant) like they used to be able to?

Stuff like that doesn't make logical sense. We're at war with two different countries and we care about who soldiers are attracted to? Seems like we have bigger fish to fry.

Posted by: Rin | Sep 22, 2010 2:28:47 PM

11. I have known I'm gay for almost 60 years. I have never seen a "radical gay agenda" in this country. I have seen Blacks fight for their civil rights and get them and I was with them. I'm offended by Mr Jackson; does he not realize how many young GAY people toiled in the '60's civil rights movement so he can preach hatred today? I think it's time for the DoD to Poll servicemembers and their families on how they feel about serving with Blacks, or Italians, or left-handed people, or blonds, or fat people, or anyone else who's different. Lt. Choi, I applaud you for fighting the good fight! Please continue and let me know what else I can do. Thank you for your service to YOUR country. You are a role model for so many young people.

Posted by: mad1026 | Sep 22, 2010 2:40:22 PM

12. "He is not in the military, he is not gay,"

He's a closet queen. ALL foaming-at-the-mouth 'phobes are closet queens.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Sep 22, 2010 2:54:07 PM

13. sad Choi has to argue with such an ignorant man

sadder still how many people that ignorant man speaks for

Posted by: neverstops | Sep 22, 2010 3:21:35 PM

14. Lt Choi-"Discrimination does not need to be studied, it is wrong. Period."

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Posted by: Ishaq | Sep 22, 2010 3:22:37 PM

15. "We'll let him have the last word even if he's lying out of his ass."

Posted by: Daniel | Sep 22, 2010 3:33:48 PM

16. Me thinks that the pius Harry Jackson is quite the closeted homosexual. I will leave it at that.

Posted by: OVALBEACH | Sep 22, 2010 3:33:48 PM

17. @Rin
    They are already bunking and showering with gay people. Either unknowingly or - in not too few cases - knowingly.

This isn't the 50s and 60s. Outside of deployments, the only place where you'll find open squad bays and open showers is boot camp. After that, they put people two or three to a room, with a shared bathroom. Maybe more on a ship.

Showers have curtains or dividers. Even many remote combat outposts in Afghanistan have some form of shower curtains. It's really not that big of a deal.

On deployments on small bases, it can also happen that men and women sleep in the same tents and use the same showers. They just come to arrangements, for example using them at different times.

Other countries are far less hung up about this (and sex in general). The Dutch have unisex showers in Afghanistan (same containers, but completely separated by curtains). I saw a British documentary where women sleep in the same room as the men, where everyone only has a tent for privacy. They undressed in front of each other.

Posted by: Steve | Sep 22, 2010 3:37:20 PM

18. the thing I don't get about the whole unit cohesion, and sexual tensions argument is this..

what about women who serve in the military? I'm sure there is some sexual tension between men and women? Its not a factor, they're professionals. Theres your case study.

Posted by: Amaezm | Sep 22, 2010 3:41:07 PM

19. Choi is developing a Jesse Jackson-like cadence to his speech.

Posted by: oneway | Sep 22, 2010 3:43:58 PM

20. The fact is we are at war. We need all the soldiers who are willing and able to fight for this country to fight with dignity and honor. Hiding who one is is not honest, it does not follow the codes and thoughts of the military. It is just wrong to say not allowing them to serve is protecting our country when Arab linguists, and medics, and anyone else is being kicked out due to being LGBT. How does having less well-trained soldiers make us safer?

Posted by: Pat | Sep 22, 2010 3:58:13 PM

21. When will Lt. Dan Choi be running for office. He has my vote, as finally we have a person who is fair, balanced, bright, articulate, ethical and can argue the heck out of those who spout nonsense and double-speak.

Posted by: Keith | Sep 22, 2010 5:02:29 PM

22. Religious people are bigots, pure and simple. The nature of religion requires it. It's amazing though how little some blacks understand bigotry on a conceptual level. It seems as though for some minorities, bigotry is awful if it is directed toward them, but directing it toward others is A-OK. These are primitive people who cannot understand things conceptually.

Posted by: Dan Cobbb | Sep 22, 2010 5:06:31 PM

23. "Just like a football team..."

I think he just called for women to join the NFL. No surprise he thinks there should be no gays in football either.

Not too bright, the pastor...

Posted by: BobN | Sep 22, 2010 5:18:11 PM

24. religion is a cash business. It's all corrupt.

Posted by: Chris | Sep 22, 2010 5:24:01 PM

25. It's amazing something this powerful could be on Fox!?

Posted by: Dawnell_do | Sep 22, 2010 5:32:22 PM