Atlanta | Eddie Long

Watch: Eddie Long Addresses Congregation, Won't Resign

Long
We've been waiting days for Bishop Eddie Long to respond to the sex scandal he's found himself in over the past week.  He finally broke his silence this morning when the took to the pulpit clutching an iPad and delivered a sermon in which he denied the recent accusations from four young men. Apparently, he won't be resigning from his position anytime soon. Said Long:

"We’re here today and every Sunday morning. And I’ll be here next week. First of all let me thank you on behalf on my wife my family for all of your support and prayers...I realize many have been waiting on me to say something."

Some other choice quotes from the sermon related to the scandal but not one outright denial of the allegations:

"There have been allegations and attacks made on me. I have never in my life portrayed myself as a perfect man, but I am not the man being portrayed on television. That’s not me. That is not me...I am not going to try this case in the media, it will be tried in the court of justice and decided in the court of justice.  Please hear this: I’ve been accused. I’m under attack. I want you to know as I said earlier I am not a perfect man... But this thing I’m going to fight. I feel like David against Goliath, but I’ve got five rocks and I haven’t thrown one yet."

According to the AP, "About 100 people waited at the doors of the church more than an hour before the first service. Some held signs of support, while others prayed for their embattled leader. A small group sang the hymn 'White as Snow' while outside." During his talk, the congregation showed their support of Long with resounding cheers and applause.

A transcript of the entire sermon is here or watch video of it, AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. His congregation seems as delusional as he does about his orientation. And I guess his whole "gays should be killed" spiel is coming back to bite him on the ass now hehe.

Posted by: Kurt | Sep 26, 2010 11:07:22 AM

2. these people are so brainwashed and hoodwinked...wow,just wow.....giving thier hard earned money to a man who lives in a Mansion, drives a $200k Bentley, wear 1000's in BLING...LOL what a friggin joke these assholes are.

Posted by: Disgusted American | Sep 26, 2010 11:11:08 AM

3. He who is without sin cast the first stone Pastor, and you have five rocks, more like rocks in your head. I can't wait until this all catches up with him, sadly there were plenty who still supported Haggard after he was caught. There are suckers born every minute.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Sep 26, 2010 11:24:48 AM

4. his golden Idol (money) is coming to an end and he sees that....but just as "disgusted American" above says the brainwashed and hoodwink give their hard earned money to this fraud!! a wife and 4 kids does not make you straight but your mouth or dick on some guy is a pretty good sign you're gay!

Posted by: alexInBoston | Sep 26, 2010 11:25:26 AM

5. Shocking just shocking another religious hypocrite unmasked!!! And what are these mega churches anyway? God's Walmart?! Or just a smart tax free racket...Amen

Posted by: jaragon | Sep 26, 2010 11:36:30 AM

6. Surely Christians do not support Denial of Responsibility for their sins?

Why is it that religious folk cannot reconcile reality with scripture? They don't take it ALL conpletely literally?

Denying that Gays exist, and the subsequent attempt to make all people straight, Is The Very Origin of this very incident, and many others like it, past and yet to come if they continue on their current path.

Incidentally, that is the gayest suit jacket with embroidered crest thingey. He might want to butch it up! (ust a suggestion)

Posted by: customartist | Sep 26, 2010 11:39:38 AM

7. It's obvious that his attorneys are hard at work trying to settle out of court. Then his lawyers will announce that the good "bishop" can't speak about this matter as it is now settled. In the meantime, his attorneys will say it's all a big misunderstanding. After all, don't all clergymen give cars and other expensive gifts to the teenage boys they take with them on overseas trips to help carry their luggage?

Posted by: Ninong | Sep 26, 2010 11:42:27 AM

8. It is so odd he is using his worship to talk about his personal matters. I thought service in church is for sth else.

Posted by: Matt26 | Sep 26, 2010 11:53:58 AM

9. But, people, he's married with children! His wife is named Vanessa Griffin and his children are Eric, Edward, Jared, and Taylor! Everybody knows that you can't be married to a woman and impregnated her FOUR TIMES and still be a male homosexual!

Furthermore, he has a PhD! PhDs are smart, gotdamit! No PhD would EVER be accused of cracking teen dudes up in their behinds! And it doesn't even matter that his PhD in Pastoral Ministry is from the International College of Excellence, a Bible college accredited by an organization not recognized by either the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or United States Department of Education, the two institutions responsible for recognizing educational accrediting institutions in the United States.

Pastor Long is DAVID from the Bible.

David, chile! David fighting Goliath.

Aaaaahhhhh!

Posted by: veg | Sep 26, 2010 11:56:46 AM

10. veg

and david loved jonathan

;-) so much so that upon hearing of jonathan's death david claimed his love was greater than a womans

anyway; he is totally wearing a hair piece

Posted by: mstrozfckslv@yahoo.com | Sep 26, 2010 12:16:07 PM

11. This mega church, as of today, is sending a VERY powerful message.

If you are an out proud gay person who wishes to faithfully and legally commit yourself to the love of your life and raise a family, you are EVIL, EVIL, EVIL; a threat to all things good and holy.

But if you are a closeted homosexual, married to a woman under false pretenses, having children, living a lie and spending your every waking hour demonizing, attacking and trying to deny civil rights to other homosexuals, then HALLELUJAH, AMEN, PRAISE JESUS, PREACH ON BELOVED PREACHER! We gotcha back baby! You're a rock star and a man of God!

He and his entire disgusting flock of 25,000 are a shameful disgrace. I can't believe that anyone who believes in god, and is in their right mind (though I'm not sure it's possible to be both at the same time) can believe that this charlatan, thief. snake oil salesman and whore can be a moral and ethical man of god.

Every single day I'm reminded of why I left the Christian faith.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Sep 26, 2010 12:20:55 PM

12. The End is Near.....

Posted by: Allen From Austin | Sep 26, 2010 12:32:24 PM

13. Interestingly, THIS closet-cocksucker has been talked about several times in the national media.

I regret what happn'd to these boys, but if it's true, perhaps this one will help this craZy notion of religious-types having some perceived moral authority to finally implode permanently.

I'm just SICK of people that have NOTHING to do with my life having SO much to say about it, while getting a tax-break, to boot!

Posted by: stephen | Sep 26, 2010 12:32:48 PM

14. Yeshua ben Yusef must be rolling over in his tomb.

Posted by: excy | Sep 26, 2010 12:33:39 PM

15. Of course the best part is that there's a wonderful Southern culture of pretending to offer love and support on Sunday, and losing your number on Monday.

I think it's about to get really cold around Eddie's place. Also, good. Hypocritical fuck.

Here's hoping criminal charges are filed.

Posted by: Rebel | Sep 26, 2010 12:35:11 PM

16. I just have one question: Would Jesus wear a Rolex?

Posted by: Qjersey | Sep 26, 2010 12:44:23 PM

17. Is it just me, or was that excerpt of his sermon almost a complete confession? He's saying that he is not a "perfect man" and that he will work this out in the court of law, not in the public media. That's hardly an unequivocal defence of his actions. . .Ted Haggard made a stronger denial, and he was guilty as charged.

Posted by: Keith | Sep 26, 2010 12:52:07 PM

18. What is it his bible says about pride again?

Posted by: Tone | Sep 26, 2010 2:07:40 PM

19. No Eddie, I'm pretty sure you're Goliath...

Posted by: Jim | Sep 26, 2010 2:20:31 PM

20. when are the congregations of these "pastors" going to realise that the entire thing is a fake ?

Posted by: arch | Sep 26, 2010 2:28:10 PM

21. It's all about video. I don't believe for a second that someone, somewhere (if not one of these boys) is sitting on something in hopes of a very large settlement. There's got to be something that can't be explained away (like the trips, gifts, etc.). For what this guy is worth and the obvious millions he's extorted out of his congregation, I say hold out or take it to court and show the world what a hypocritical liar this asswipe is.

Isn't there something in the bible that says "beware of false prophets?" In this day and age, that's all of these bloodsuckers.

Posted by: Keith | Sep 26, 2010 2:29:30 PM

22. "...sadly there were plenty who still supported Haggard after he was caught. "

@PatrickNYC: i think it's sadder still that they supported Haggard BEFORE he was caught. Aftwerward, Haggard's stance was more like: "i'm going to stop cheating on my wife and deliberately lying to everyone, and I realize now that I need to stop with attacking gay peopledealing with my own fears by attacking gay people." (That's my rough paraphrase, not a quote.)
    It is inexcusable to follow hateful bigots like Eddie Long-Dong and Uganda's Ssempa and others who advocate hatred and discrimination and violence. I could excuse them for following these poeple AFTER they get "caught" doing everything they claim to hate, IF they have changed and recognized how wrong their exploitation and hateful twisting of religion has been.
    But unless and until Eddie Long-Dong admits at some future point that he is a sick man and that innocent gay people do not deserve his hateful attacks he has made, I can't excuse anyone for being his accomplice by supporting him morally or financially.,

Posted by: GregV | Sep 26, 2010 2:33:55 PM

23. You could have told us that the first five minutes are just music and warm-up.

Posted by: BobN | Sep 26, 2010 2:44:07 PM

24. The African-American version of JIM JONES.

Posted by: FunMe | Sep 26, 2010 2:44:39 PM

25. Yeah, he had five rocks. He threw most of them at gay people by advocating our collective murder.

This revolting hypocrite deserves everything that's coming to him. May his "ministry" be cast down lower than that of Ted Haggard.

Posted by: The Milkman | Sep 26, 2010 2:55:10 PM