Don't Ask, Don't Tell | John McCain | Military | News

Watch: McCain Lies, Gets Testy with Journalists Over 'DADT' Facts

Mccain

The Wonk Room reports on a meeting between Senators John McCain and Lindsey Graham and a group of journalists immediately following the Senate filibuster of the Defense bill, which effectively stalled DADT repeal in the near term.

In a dialog with The Advocate's Kerry Eleveld and MetroWeekly's Chris Geidner, McCain insists, in what can only be described as a hissy fit, that the military does not "seek out" sexual orientation, despite evidence to the contrary.

The Wonk Room's Igor Volsky notes:

"In fact, as Almy explained in testimoney before McCain’s own committee (Senate Armed Services): 'In Iraq, during the height of the insurgency, someone in the Air Force ordered a search of my private emails solely to determine if I had violated 'Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell', and to gather whatever evidence could be used against me.' 'I was relieved of my duties, leading nearly 200 Airmen, my security clearance was suspended and part of my pay was terminated. Even as my commander was relieving me of my duties, he assured me this was in no way a reflection of my performance or my abilities as an officer,' Almy testified."

Video and transcript, AFTER THE JUMP...

Note: you may need to turn up the volume. Transcript via Think Progress:

MCCAIN: We do not go out and seek. Regulations are, we do not go out and seek to find out if someone’s sexual orientation. We do not!

ELEVELD: But senator, that’s not…

MCCAIN: That is the fact! That is the fact. Now ma’am, I know the military very well, and I know what’s being done. And what is being done is that they are not seeking out people who are gay. And I don’t care what you say, I know it’s a fact.

ELEVELD: It’s not what I say.

MCCAIN: I dont’ care what you say! And I don’t care what others say. I’ve seen it in action. I’ve seen it in action. I have sons in the military, I know the military very well. So they’re not telling you the truth.

ELEVELD: Senator, just to make sure…

MCCAIN: Just to make sure. We do not go out and seek out and find out….

ELEVELD: Private emails are not being searched? Private emails are not being searched?

MCCAIN: …See if someone is gay or not. We do not go out and see whether someone is gay or not.

ELEVELD: There are documented cases…

MCCAIN: They do not, they do not, they do not. You can say that they are, you can say [inaudible] it’s not true!… Yea, I’d like to see…

GEIDNER: It is the case of Mike Almy, Senators.

MCCAIN: Bring them to our office. It is not the policy, it is not the policy, it is not the policy.

GEIDNER: But it is the case that it’s happening, Senator.

MCCAIN: It is not the policy, it is not the policy, it is not the policy You can say that it is the policy, sir if you choose to. It is not the policy. I would be glad to get that to you in writing.

Comments

1. Look forward to this X 10 for each new Republican elected. Granted, McCain's a hothead nutjob, but this is their entire stance on [any issue that in any way reflects positively on Obama].

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | Sep 21, 2010 7:11:58 PM

2. What. A. Fucking. Douchebag!

I wish their fucking God would hurry up and rapture their little black hate-filled souls so the rest of us can get down to business bringing sanity back to this planet.

Posted by: Alexander | Sep 21, 2010 7:14:53 PM

3. Wow. Just... I had respect for him some long number of years ago. What a horrible person he has become.

Posted by: Randy | Sep 21, 2010 7:16:58 PM

4. "nananananana. I can't hear you. nananana" *fingers in ears*

That's how he acts. He can't even articulate himself. It's just embarrassing. He is nothing but a senile old fool.

Posted by: Steve | Sep 21, 2010 7:21:02 PM

5. "Bring them to my office" sure sounded like an invitation to me. Wanna bet he won't let anyone come talk to him about it?

Posted by: BobN | Sep 21, 2010 7:21:11 PM

6. may McCain die a slow, painful, agonizing death

I don't like wishing that sort of thing on anyone, but he is an exception

horrible human being

Posted by: neverstops | Sep 21, 2010 7:26:09 PM

7. If obama said he wanted to keep DADT, McCain would have been for DADT. He is such a fucking baby and a sore loser

Posted by: AlexM | Sep 21, 2010 7:27:42 PM

8. Douchebag is too good a name for him. Douche nozzle, maybe.

Posted by: RyanInSacto | Sep 21, 2010 7:28:11 PM

9. I was waiting for Sen. McCain (R-Dementia) to gesture to his left and say, "You want proof DADT works? my good friend Sen. Graham remains an officer in the Reserves!"

Posted by: scott | Sep 21, 2010 7:35:20 PM

10. And if his mother's any indication of his genetic composition, he's got a lot more living left to do. Blah blah blah, horrible person, blah blah blah, piece of shit senile old fool, blah blah blah--he got results today with his filibuster, something the dems are sorely lacking in. All that matters are the results--talky talky, good intentions...none of it matters.

Posted by: TANK | Sep 21, 2010 7:35:20 PM

11. I wonder what his daughter has to say about this, after all, she claimed her father isn't the issue...

Posted by: Cory | Sep 21, 2010 7:41:25 PM

12. Well irritability and losing touch with reality are hallmarks of dementia. Perhaps old John McCain is due for a gentle and supportive retirement.

Posted by: Tone | Sep 21, 2010 7:44:30 PM

13. I was here thinking the gays would wake up and see just what a republican-lead congress would do to them, but NO they are here talking about how Obama and the democrats betrayed them. Please, Lord let November come and go and republican take over so that we can remember again what they are made of, because i think we have forgotten.

Posted by: johnosahon | Sep 21, 2010 7:52:37 PM

14. Yeah...dementia...LOL! You can't talk to people who don't get politics. It's like having a conversation about philosophy with people who don't know their ass from their elbow when it comes to that topic....futility.

FACTS DON'T MATTER TO THESE PEOPLE! It's not about what's true; it's about what sells, or "connects". He's denying facts, and it's as productive to debate them with him as it would be about whether the world is flat or spherical. The way to defeat them is with vicious accusations hammered home over and over again. The more outrageous the better, in fact, as cattle (the electorate) is more willing to believe a stunner than something that could plausibly be true (to a rational a person, anyway).

Posted by: TANK | Sep 21, 2010 7:52:52 PM

15. When did John McCain become so scared of me? When did he turn into such a little bitch? For everything he's done in life, his legacy will be three things: being captured by the North Vietnamese, unleashing the dumbness of Sarah Palin on America, and being a frightened, phobic douchbag.

Congratulations, John. You are the perfect exaple of a Republican American.

Posted by: Bart | Sep 21, 2010 7:58:48 PM

16. He just needs a laxative, or maybe more fruit in his diet.

Posted by: He's Full of Sh!t | Sep 21, 2010 8:21:21 PM

17. Why can't they vote on DADT as a separate bill of its own? Why does it need to be attached to a spending bill? If it was voted for as its own bill, I'm sure it would have enough votes to pass.

Posted by: Andrew | Sep 21, 2010 8:32:56 PM

18. Mr. McCain is a dinasour.

Posted by: Harry | Sep 21, 2010 8:37:58 PM

19. Maybe he's right that it's not the policy, but it IS what they are doing. IDIOT.

Tank is right on this: Facts do not matter. Just like they didn't to the Bush White House. This country is more and more reminding me of the good old USSR.

Posted by: KevinVT | Sep 21, 2010 8:45:52 PM

20. This is proof positive (yet again) that our entire political system is completely broken. It's all about votes and political posturing and not about right or wrong. Our equal rights are being trotted out as a disgusting sideshow once again RIGHT before an election. I am completely disgusted. I had hope that Obama would stand up and do the right thing, but he has proven to be completely spineless. During the next Presidential election I'm voting for Mickey Mouse.

Posted by: AJ | Sep 21, 2010 8:56:12 PM

21. I really like McCain's logic, actually. It's not the policy, therefore it didn't happen / isn't a big deal / isn't something we should worry about.

Hey, Senator, what if I kick you in the stomach and you fall down in terrible pain? It's not my "policy" to kick members of Congress; it just happened. Do you think Capitol Police would let me off the hook?

Moron.

Posted by: Paul | Sep 21, 2010 9:04:04 PM

22. McCain seems to be in denial of the fact that people break rules, break laws, and go against policy all the time. It's like saying, "It's against the law to commit murder. Murders aren't happening. They are not happening. People don't murder each other." Wake up, Senator McCain. There's coffee a-brewing but you seem to have lost your olfactory nerves along with your credibility.

Posted by: Tom G | Sep 21, 2010 9:36:36 PM

23. What does Obama have to do with the FACT that every single republican senator voted against repeal?

Does anybody actually think that Obama could "arm twist" any one of those republicans into voting in favor of repeal?

Posted by: elg | Sep 21, 2010 9:45:56 PM

24. He's sounding like a senile old man.

Posted by: Garst | Sep 21, 2010 9:53:28 PM

25. He's an angry, bitter old man this John McCain. He is in his own mind and the minds of many of his peers an abject failure. He failed in the Navy, never equaling his father or grandfather by making flag rank. He knows what he did to survive as a POW and despite the public accolades and misperceptions, he knows he was a coward while in captivity and it eats at him. His wife's money keeps him in style, he's a misogynist, which has been demonstrated in the way he treated his first wife and the manner in which he treats this one. He failed embarrassingly as a presidential candidate, first to a military coward who avoided combat and ridiculed him cruelly during the primary campaign and then to a black guy, who in McCain's eyes has never paid his dues.

And when this miserable old fossil finally dies, he will be all but forgotten by history. The only accomplishments in politics he'll be remembered for is as a pandering crook involved with the S&L scandal and as the chump who foisted the idiot Palin on the national political stage. Even now, he's on the wrong side of history on DADT because he lacks the courage to do what is right.

McCain is going through his own personal hell each and every day he draws a breath. You can see how it has transformed his personality and turned him from a "maverick" to nothing more than a nasty old crank. He's Gollum without his "precious". Other Republicans have the ring now and it's killing him. He is indeed a pathetic old fool.

Posted by: Bob R | Sep 21, 2010 10:25:29 PM