Adam Lambert | Malaysia | Music | News

Adam Lambert Makes 'Minor Adjustments' After Malaysia Protest

Adam_lambert The Pan Malaysian Islamic Party, currently on the warpath against gay singer Adam Lambert, makes Carl Paladino seem quaint.

PAS, which has about one million constituents, launched a protest against an upcoming Lambert concert in Malaysia because of the singer's same-sex ways.

Said PAS youth leader Nasrudin Hasan: "Adam Lambert's shows are outrageous, with lewd dancing and a gay performance that includes kissing male dancers, this is not good for people in our country."

In light of the outrage, Lambert now says he will make "minor adjustments" to his performance. "While I don't believe that my Glamnation tour is in any way offensive, I have agreed to make a few minor adjustments out of respect for the Malaysian government," wrote the singer.

Lambert later elaborated, telling reporters that he's making the changes out of respect. "[My] main goal is to keep people entertained — not to make them uncomfortable," he explained. "It’s something I’m doing out of respect. It’s just one little thing. Man kissing another man is something that government really doesn’t appreciate."

Comments

1. When I saw an ad of his concert in the newspaper last week,I knew it was only a matter of time before controversy erupts.

I mean,this is Malaysia we are talking about,a Muslim majority nation.

If he and/or his people had done any research on this,they would have realized it and most likely not choose Malaysia.

Of course,you will have a number hardcore supporters - these are the white wannabes of Malaysia.They dont exactly get Western social liberalism.It's all about being like the West to be cool.

Posted by: Andrew | Oct 12, 2010 10:13:06 AM

2. canceling his show would have a stronger impact - hit 'em in the pocketbook. That's where it will be felt the most.

Posted by: Steve | Oct 12, 2010 10:37:58 AM

3. "I'm not changin' my show. NO way."—Madonna, 20 years ago

"Let's do whatever it takes to make the money."—Adam Lambert, today, paraphrased

Why show respect for a group that doesn't respect YOU?

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | Oct 12, 2010 10:56:55 AM

4. They'll find Adam standing there stark still to be "offensive." He should never have made that tour date.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Oct 12, 2010 11:02:34 AM

5. @Matthew Rettenmund

You are wrong. Respecting someone's rules and culture when you are in Their country is the right thing to do. And he should not dissapoint his Malaysian fans by canscelling his show.

Posted by: Red | Oct 12, 2010 11:27:30 AM

6. I do not enjoy Adam's music, yet I am a fan, and really rooted for him to win AI. This really makes me lose my respect for him.

Posted by: critifur | Oct 12, 2010 11:28:22 AM

7. I find the fact that Adam has to alter his show offensive. If you don't like men kissing men don't go see his show. Madonna needs to sit this boy down and have a talk with him.

Posted by: jamesintoronto | Oct 12, 2010 11:33:06 AM

8. Adam should have cancelled? What? Yeah who cares about the 16000 fans who bought tickets to his show.

Posted by: Tomi | Oct 12, 2010 11:35:32 AM

9. I think it's pretty commendable that Lambert is making some adjustments in order to put on a show for his Malaysian fans. I don't necessarily think that 'not kissing his bassist' is an artistic sacrifice on his part as an entertainer.

Anyway you guys paint such a dim picture of Malaysia. You should come visit us one day and form your opinion instead of passing judgement of the entire country based on this protest by this little puny political party. This PAS party had been protesting against most western acts who has been scheduled to perform here in Malaysia over the years that we've grown tired of these attention seekers. Their previous protests include the Pussy Cat Dolls (too sexy), Pitbull (too vulgar, named after a dog?), Avril Lavigne (too punk, too much teenage angst), Gwen Stefani, Fergie and even Beyonce (outfits). In the end they came, they obliged and we had a good time. Except for Beyonce though, who apparently would not part with her wardrobe and she ended up standing up her Malaysian fans twice!

Anyhow I look forward to Lambert's concert. It may be a toned down affair, but we'll take whatever we can get :)

@ Andrew: "White wannabes of Malaysia?" Is that really necessary? Geez

Posted by: Sav | Oct 12, 2010 11:41:37 AM

10. I don't know much about Malaysia, but having an openly gay singer like Adam perform there can only be a good thing for the GLBT people living there. If he has to cut out 30 seconds from his show -- and I saw him in concert, it was probably less than that if he is just taking out the times he kisses Tommy -- that is not a big deal. Just my opinion, of course.

Posted by: D | Oct 12, 2010 11:43:20 AM

11. "Adam should have cancelled? What? Yeah who cares about the 16000 fans who bought tickets to his show."

Yes, he should have canceled. But who cares about gay rights, why wouldn't Adam comply to homophobic requests? Right?

Posted by: think again | Oct 12, 2010 11:43:45 AM

12. @SAV 11:41 ---
    Thank you for a view from the front-lines.
    It is important to hear from the people who are actually affected. And yes, the "...white wannabes..." was really not necessary.

Posted by: Daya | Oct 12, 2010 11:52:35 AM

13. Madonna was already in international superstar 20 years ago. After Adam Lambert has a string of number one hits and proves he can pack stadiums he'll be able to throw his weight around like Madonna.

Matthew above was comparing a heavy weight with a lightweight.

This is going to be an ongoing problem in the world as gays win respect in specific countries. Many other countries will continue to show zero tolerance. How that clash will be managed by governments and cultures will be problematic.

It's not just gays that face this. Respect for women has the same obstacles. I attend cross-cultural training with questions like what is the best response if a foreign customer doesn't believe women can attend a meeting with men and one of my colleagues is a woman?

The course literally does not answer that question. They refer you to "management" for help.

One day (probably already happened) a gay person will face the quandary of what to do when a spouses event is taking place with a foreign customer but they would be offended if he brought his husband instead of a wife. It's easy on the internet to take the firebrand posture and say "fuck 'em." In the real world that Fuck em might cost your company a contract and result in layoffs for other families. Do you want to be true to your pro-gay values and put others out of a job? These impacts need to be weighed too. I'm sure Adam Lambert had to weigh them as well.

Posted by: Dave L | Oct 12, 2010 11:55:09 AM

14. Adam Lambert does something other than kiss boys on stage? That's news to me.

Posted by: Randy | Oct 12, 2010 11:58:54 AM

15. "I'm sure Adam Lambert had to weigh them as well."

Yes, he does, but he doesn't need to kiss their asses.

Posted by: "It’s something I’m doing out of respect." | Oct 12, 2010 12:13:11 PM

16. But canceling is what the religious whackos WANT him to do. If he were to cancel entirely, they win big; if he does not, he still presents the image of a successful gay man-- something I think will be of value to Malaysia's GLBT citizens, particularly the youth, who can see you CAN be successful in the world.

As David said above in a different context "They'll find Adam standing there stark still to be "offensive."" To which I'd say-- exactly. Because they hate knowing that it's so well known that Lambert is gay. Even if he stood there stark still, he'd still be representing something to that crowd.

If he cancels entirely, the anti-gay Muslim fundamentalists win entirely (and, trust me, they'll crow about it); if he does not, the religious nuts win a battle, but lose this particular war. They can't hide the fact that Lambert represents a successful openly gay man, even if the crowd doesn't see him kissing anyone.

Or, make that, they can't hide that unless he never appears there at all, in which case they'll pretend they've chased away another "scary gay infidel." I don't like the fact of someone censoring their show either, until I consider THAT. Weighing the difference, I think Lambert is right in making sure he DOES appear.

Posted by: bobbyjoe | Oct 12, 2010 12:13:11 PM

17. Do in Rome as the Romans do.

Posted by: Ninong | Oct 12, 2010 12:24:01 PM

18. You can literally count on one hand the number of famous gay men who are solo artists - Ricky Martin, Elton John, Adam Lambert, and...who else? Adam is blazing trails simply for being out. Give the guy a break.

Posted by: James | Oct 12, 2010 12:42:39 PM

19. Adam and his record label should make their own decisions in what's best for Adam’s career. They don't want to cancel the show and disappoint thousands of fans. He's still a new artist. I also don't think gay people should expect people like Adam to act like gay rights activists all the time. Things like this is exactly why so many celebs are afraid to come out. They catch it from the straights and then catch it from the community they're supposed to be supported by.

Posted by: Red | Oct 12, 2010 1:08:35 PM

20. Perhaps he can make a difference one concert at a time....damn, so many people here are just nasty little bitches... and I'm not even a fan of Mr. Lambert

Posted by: John Normile | Oct 12, 2010 1:19:18 PM

21. Okay, valid points on both sides of the argument. Can we agree that he is one hot man!

Posted by: acorlando | Oct 12, 2010 1:27:00 PM

22. This blog post also leaves out where Adam criticized the Malaysian government for accusing him of promoting the gay lifestyle. He said that he promotes the lifestyle of love and that there are as many different gay lifestyles as there are straight lifestyles.

He said this on his twitter account.

I saw Adam in concert here in the states and he really is an amazing live singer.

He is one of the best male vocalists around. His concerts are high energy and he and his band really rock out his pop songs.

More people need to give his voice and his songs a chance. Listen to his album and his bonus songs. Watch his videos on youtube. You might like it.

Posted by: Josh | Oct 12, 2010 1:30:59 PM

23. "I think it's a tough decision to make, but to me, there are so many amazing fans in Malaysia that it's more important for me to be able to come and do my show there for them and entertain them and thank them for supporting me," he added.

Posted by: Pete | Oct 12, 2010 1:49:34 PM

24. I'm sure Malaysia really disgusts it's sensual belly dancers too. Such lewd cultural acceptance of flaunty female sexuality should be forbidden from the people's eyes. It might make them lust after women who are not their own.

Hypocrites.

And look at this Little Miss belly dance culture. Such disgusting pedophilliatic filth! I say we burn Malaysian Flags and take to the street for this kind of outrage! Such open and lewd cultural exploitation of children is seeded by Satan himself!

Posted by: Christie | Oct 12, 2010 2:02:58 PM