Christine O'Donnell | Delaware | News

BigGayDeal.com

Christine O'Donnell's First Ad: 'I'm Not A Witch'

Odonnellad

Anti-gay Senate candidate Christine O'Donnell released her first campaign commercial last night. In what appears to be a shrewd move, O'Donnell opens by playing off of the infamous news that she dated a Wiccan. "I'm not a witch," begins O'Donnell, setting the viewer up for laughs, which would be a great way to charm voters.

Unfortunately for our funny bones, O'Donnell's pitch gets into serious territory, with the Republican from Delaware telling voters, "I'm nothing you've heard. I'm you. None of us are perfect, but none of us can be happy with what we see all around us: politicians who think spending, trading favors and back room deals are the ways to stay in office. I'd go to Washington and I'd do what you do."

Well, that's not really true, because I would guarantee LGBT equality in Washington, and clearly O'Donnell has no such thing on her agenda.

Watch O'Donnell's ad, AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. Well, if most of the residents of Delaware are lunatic fanatics with an insane right wing (even too right wing for most Republicans who seem to think she's batshit too) agenda who comes off more like a cartoon character than an actual himan being and wouldn't register anywhere on the political spectrum if she weren't photogenic (damn you, John Kennedy...), then I guess she's right.

Posted by: Bart | Oct 5, 2010 8:16:03 AM

2. The question of course is how stupid are the voters of Delaware. I guess we'll all find on on 2-November.

Posted by: Mike | Oct 5, 2010 8:30:39 AM

3. She's charmingly retarded in this ad. Those who dislike her will dislike her even more now. Those who like her will like her more. The "independents" - well, I'm not sure this ad is terribly convincing. The pauses are...shady. Culty. Maybe she's a witch or something...

Posted by: Andalusian Dog | Oct 5, 2010 8:39:23 AM

4. I am pretty sure her denials of not being a witch are tied to a certain Monty Python movie... heh

Posted by: Darren | Oct 5, 2010 8:46:47 AM

5. Maybe the swirling black backdrop isn't the smartest way to distance oneself from claims of the dark arts.

Posted by: Mike B. | Oct 5, 2010 9:02:36 AM

6. If her followers want proof that Obama is not a Kenyan Muslim, then I want proof that she is not a Witch! Prove it, Christine! Let's throw her in a river! If she sinks, she's not a witch! She should be able to relate to that logic!!

Posted by: Rad | Oct 5, 2010 9:09:56 AM

7. I think it's a pretty stupid ad. The backdrop suggests the occult and why do an ad reminding people of something so infamous? To say, "I'm not a witch" is like Meg Whitman saying, "I'm not a greedy, entitled, callous employer who thinks none of the rules apply to her!"

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | Oct 5, 2010 9:32:22 AM

8. Delawareans are not dumb. We're stubborn. I know most people are afraid of her, and I know that most of us voted for Obama. The only way she'll win is if the voters aren't interested in the race anyway. I mean, we had Castle in for years, and he was a Republican. The idea goes, if he wasn't so bad, than what's the difference with O Connell? I know the difference, it's getting others to know too that's the probelm.

Posted by: Ry | Oct 5, 2010 9:36:17 AM

9. Matthew

because she is an idiot. She definitely isn't getting big R help with doing her campaign/ polishing her image. The NRSCC only gave her the $45,000 that they give any R. No NRSCC commercials on her behalf no staff support no advisers to tell her that she should never have mentioned the witch thing. Her money is all coming from bible thumping troglodytes and maybe a few mill bucks from the Koch brothers

She is trailing in the polls with castle supporters flocking to the dem along with indies

Posted by: mstrozfckslv@yahoo.com | Oct 5, 2010 9:41:31 AM

10. Well, I *am* a witch, and I'm glad she's not one of us. Idiot.

Posted by: margueritegautier | Oct 5, 2010 9:45:42 AM

11. In the wind I hear..."I am not a crook!" Sounds just as convincing as it did then.

Posted by: Sean | Oct 5, 2010 9:47:07 AM

12. Last night Howard Fineman said that even Karl Rove wants her to lose, even he knows how much damage she'll do if she gets a soapbox to continue the bat shit crazy talk. Fineman also said SNL doesn't need to spoof the ad, it does it for it's self.

Jon Stewart said "if she's me, I'm jumping out the window".

My favorite is her trashing 'back room political deals' The same day her mentor, fellow nut job NV nominee Sharon Angle, gets caught making back room deals with another third party member to drop out of the race. Telling him she has 'juice' in DC, even though she has not been elected.

Miller, another right winger running in Alaska, is being criticized for tweeting about how he's going to decorate his office, before the election. He also does not believe in the minim wage, but thinks the ten commandments should be the law of the land.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Oct 5, 2010 9:55:18 AM

13. Honey, its not a witch that we are conserned about (by the way love wiccans, don't insult them) were concerned that your nuts

Posted by: George | Oct 5, 2010 10:02:00 AM

14. Uh-oh. If she's me, that must mean that I'm a media whore who thinks that the best qualification for elected office is having no qualifications whatsoever, beyond a long string of irresponsible debts and embarrassing statements made on national TV. I think I'll go back to bed now, but NOT to masturbate!

Posted by: Ernie | Oct 5, 2010 10:11:40 AM

15. She has that same condescending "talk to em like 6 year olds" tone as Sarah Palin....incredibly scary

Posted by: John Normile | Oct 5, 2010 11:02:48 AM

16. "Witch" wasn't the word I was thinking; although it does have the same last four letters..."

Posted by: wirrrn | Oct 5, 2010 12:23:22 PM

17. Yeah...GET A ROPE! GET A ROPE AND START A FIRE! ROTFLMAO!

Posted by: TANK | Oct 5, 2010 12:42:43 PM

18. Watch it with the sound muted. It's as scary a video I've seen this week ...

Posted by: Rodney Wollam | Oct 5, 2010 6:23:35 PM

19. I wish I had video editing software so I could dub in "and I'll do all those things," after she lists all the things that are wrong with Washington.

Posted by: cd | Oct 5, 2010 7:31:59 PM

20. What baffles me is she actually thinks being a "witch" is some sort of serious indictment. -- Wait. People are not _that_ stupid, are they? -- These clips Bill Maher has been showing of her are meant to make her look silly (although the fact that she "dabbled in witchcraft" to her credit at least shows she's open minded.)

The most damning, non-silly things she's said so far are that evolution is a myth and mice are being given fully functioning human brains by cloning companies. How can she be "none" of these things people have "heard"? They aren't rumors. She's said them on tape on national TV.

Posted by: Matthew | Oct 5, 2010 11:59:57 PM

21. I really don't have any faith in the masses so we shall see. Delaware what a small minded state.

Posted by: wslandry | Oct 6, 2010 9:15:45 PM

22. ======================
    I LOVE the auto-tune rendering of Christine O'Donnell's "I'm Not A Witch" - it works very well for her.
    ======================