Arkansas | Bullying | Clint McCance | Education | News

Watch: Clint McCance Resigns from Midland School Board in Arkansas, Apologizes for Anti-Gay Remarks

Ac_clint_mccance

UPDATED

Midland School Board Member Clint McCance told Anderson Cooper that he is resigning from the school board following a firestorm of outrage over remarks he made on Facebook celebrating the suicides of teens who killed themselves after homophobic bullying.

Said McCance: "I am going to resign from the school board. It is to -- to help my community, to help my school. I don't want them to receive bad press or have a distraction because of some ignorant comments that have -- that I made. If they decide later, you know, a year, five years, 10 years from now to vote me back in, if my constituents want that, then -- then I will run again."

Added McCance: "I -- you know, I would -- would like to extend an apology, especially to those to those -- to those families that have lost children, not just gay, heterosexual, all -- all children that feel like suicide's the only way out.
It's a -- it saddens me, and -- but especially for those five -- five families that have just recently lost children. You know, I have -- I have brought more hurt on them with these comments. And that was never my intention. And I apologize for that, because they don't -- they don't deserve that. And I do feel genuinely bad for that, for them."

Cooper also spoke with the parents of Asher Brown, a 13-year-old who killed himself as a result of bullying in September. Brown's parents had a message for McCance as well.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Previously...
Protesters Call for Resignation of Clint McCance [tr]
Anderson Cooper Rips Clint McCance [tr]
Arkansas Midland School District Distances Itself [tr]
Watch: Thomas Roberts Talks to Arkansas Times Reporter [tr]
Arkansas School Board Member Clint McCance Wants 'Fags' Dead [tr]

Part Two:

Comments

1. Nice, but what happens to his carpet cleaning contract with the school district? This man doesn't even deserve the dignity to resign, much less continue to make money from our schools.

Posted by: Matt STL | Oct 28, 2010 11:00:45 PM

2. Ellen did an admirable job speaking to the issue, as always. My only double-take was when she said (I'm paraphrasing, since I didn't record the clip) that people may disagree with a person's lifestyle, whether it be homosexuality or something else.

She knows being gay is not anyone's lifestyle. None of the recently deceased kids was bullied because of his/her lifestyle. They were bullied because of their real or perceived IDENTITY as a gay person.
    Anyway.... I love Ellen!

Posted by: GregV | Oct 28, 2010 11:16:01 PM

3. And he lived happily, ignorantly ever after.

Posted by: Brad | Oct 28, 2010 11:25:07 PM

4. Personally, I don't care about his carpet cleaning business. The world worked this time. Some stupid bigot in backwoods Arkansas was clueless enough to think he could post his personal lack of mind, on the subject of children, on the internet while holding an elected position as school board president. Enough public outrage ensued that he has resigned the post everyone said he could not be fired from.

This is how it's supposed to work when bigots act out in public in a way that is deplorable and unacceptable to society. I see this as an encouraging bit of progress.

I don't give a rat's patoot about Mr. McCance, only about the lesson his mistake will hopefully illuminate to others.

Posted by: Zlick | Oct 28, 2010 11:25:24 PM

5. how sorry can he be if he would "run off" his own kid if he were gay, because of his "christian beliefs"?

we really need to look at the roots of people's beliefs to find the source of homophobia.

Posted by: r | Oct 28, 2010 11:42:03 PM

6. as long as we are legally discriminated against in any way, we will always be seen as "less than", not fully human.

Posted by: r | Oct 28, 2010 11:44:25 PM

7. Huh. The crazy bigot really does have a red neck. Who’d have thought...

Posted by: ichabod | Oct 28, 2010 11:53:16 PM

8. Does this mean the lynching is cancelled?

Posted by: Jasun | Oct 28, 2010 11:56:16 PM

9. SINCE MCCANCE RESIGNED,THE NEXT BEST THING FOR HIM TO DO IS SPONTANEOUSLY COMBUST!!!!!!!!

Posted by: sylvia green | Oct 29, 2010 12:23:15 AM

10. Cooper's show was a good watch

really felt for the parents of the young kid that killed himself - they seem really like genuine people

hard to say the outcome - you'd like to hope this whole thing makes McCance take a good look inside himself (for the better), but who knows

there's still a lot of hate for us in this country - this is just scratching the surface

Posted by: neverstops | Oct 29, 2010 12:25:55 AM

11. Yes JASUN, this one was cancelled. Take heart though, as I'm sure some other neanderthal-troglodyte will take Clint McCance's place.

Posted by: joebloe | Oct 29, 2010 12:39:30 AM

12. It may have to do with his timing, given the recent spate of suicides, but this is still significant for rural Arkansas. I had predicted he'd face enough criticism that he'd resign, but to be honest I was also thinking he might just be stubborn and wait for the brouhaha to die down.

It's a great message for everyone that his hateful bile speech is unacceptable, but especially to those kids living in this district.

Posted by: Paul R | Oct 29, 2010 12:44:39 AM

13. Where are the all the Ellen haters lately? They're always out in force the moment she doesn't make everything about her and her show 100% gay issues and right now she's doing admirable, worthy work on a national stage in the prevention of gay teen bullying and where are they? Exactly.

Posted by: Glenn | Oct 29, 2010 1:40:06 AM

14. Bye bye hat8r!

Posted by: Arturo Beeche | Oct 29, 2010 1:45:28 AM

15. I thought about this a lot after watching the program tonight. There is a real shift here. The fact that someone wrote something like this (which we've all seen happen untold times without any consequence) and then got called out in such a big way on a national stage seems pretty significant.

Anyone else find it excruciating to watch AC tackle these issues, though? GIANT gay elephant in the room. He's gotta be planning the big announcement (acknowledgment?) soon. His show has finally seemed relevant and interesting since he's started covering the gay bullying issue, but he's closeted! Yikes. Awkward...

Posted by: Jack A | Oct 29, 2010 1:58:43 AM

16. His apology was self-serving. He basically said that he's sorry for some specific words he used but never apologized for the hateful message.

Pathetic.

Posted by: Matt | Oct 29, 2010 4:25:37 AM

17. The jerk's name is Clint McCance.

Business He Owns:

Clint’s Carpet Cleaning

7569 Batesville Blvd,

Pleasant Plains, AR

(501) 268-7360.

Personal Info

Clint McCance

160 Songbird Rd

Pleasant Plains, AR 72568-9774

(501) 345-2791 (Home telephone number)

Posted by: moby323 | Oct 29, 2010 6:59:51 AM

18. He's full of s***: just sorry he got caught. Feel sorry for this kids.

Posted by: PK | Oct 29, 2010 7:11:08 AM

19. I never heard the words that he was sorry for what he said. All he did was apologize for the words he used. At one point he stated he "should have picked different words". What does that mean? Picked different words of hate? This leopard didn't change his spots, he is irritated that there was an uproar and it is affecting his family and his life. Just wait...when this calms down, he'll be back, but a little more educated on what he states that may become public.

He'll be a FOX News contributor shortly!!!

Posted by: CB | Oct 29, 2010 7:14:13 AM

20. Ugh! AC was so soft on him. He wasn't aware of what a problem suicide was?!? He says the number 5 in his hateful post and the post was ABOUT being asked to wear purple to bring awareness to the SUOCIDE PROBLEM. How could he not ne aware? Also, as soon as he played the "I've got children myself" card, AC shouldve said "yeah and you said you would turn them away if they were gay" OOOO!!! And the real kicker! When he said HE was now the victim of hate. No douchebag, you're not the victim of anything but your own stupidity. If (big if) he's getting harassed it's a response to his actions NOT him being singled
    out for who he is.

Posted by: Andy | Oct 29, 2010 7:37:08 AM

21. Not forgiven.

Posted by: Jack M | Oct 29, 2010 8:40:59 AM

22. His apology doesn't work for two reasons.

1. It is not the "strength of words" he used that were the problem. It was the entire message pure and simple. I don't care if he used the nicest words possible for gays, he's advocating their deaths/suicides. And children at that!

2. In the end, he still couldn't bring himself to say he would still love his children if they were gay. I understand that can cause turmoil and confusion in a parent. But if you can't say with 100% certainty that you would still love them for something as harmless as being gay, you don't deserve children. And to think these people think they make superior parents than those in the lgbt community. Ha! I don't know a sing gay person who'd disown their kids if they turned out straight! How dare they "choose" a different lifestyle from me! And he claimed to love them with everypart of himself. Every part but the bigoted part I guess.

Posted by: Brad | Oct 29, 2010 8:44:49 AM

23. This poor excuse for a man's original posts sound like they were more from the heart than his so called apology.

Posted by: ratbastard | Oct 29, 2010 8:53:28 AM

24. Amazing! How can this man show his face in public? He doesn't have the common sense to hide his shame! I almost feel embarrassed for this guy. Absolutely CLUELESS!

Posted by: candideinnc | Oct 29, 2010 8:54:41 AM

25. Yes, his sin was egregious. He should be and, in fact, we need to forgive him.

Posted by: GAYLY | Oct 29, 2010 9:20:54 AM