Ewan McGregor | Film | Jim Carrey | News

Exclusive Debut: Trailer for Jim Carrey and Ewan McGregor's Gay Prison Romance 'I Love You Phillip Morris'

Phillipmorris

I think I've been following the news of this film for more than three years now. After a rocky road to distribution, it's finally making it to screens in limited release on December 3rd, to expand throughout the month.

This morning I present the exclusive debut of the red band trailer for the film (warning: it has a couple brief moments that are probably not safe for work).

Here's the plot synopsis from the filmmakers (it's based on a true story): "Steven Russell (Jim Carrey) leads a seemingly average life -- an organ player in the local church, happily married to Debbie (Leslie Mann), and a member of the local police force. That is until he has a severe car accident that leads him to the ultimate epiphany: he's gay and he's going to live life to the fullest -- even if he has to break the law to do it. Taking on an extravagant lifestyle, Steven turns to cons and fraud to make ends meet and is eventually sent to the State Penitentiary where he meets the love of his life, a sensitive, soft-spoken man named Phillip Morris (Ewan McGregor). His devotion to freeing Phillip from jail and building the perfect life together prompts him to attempt (and often succeed at) one impossible con after another."

It's based on the book of the same name by Steve McVicker.

Watch (warning: brief nsfw moments), AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Any scenes of men lining up to bottom for Ewan?

Posted by: bigolpoofter | Oct 21, 2010 9:35:26 AM

2. I saw this movie months ago. No, no scenes of men lining up to bottom for Ewan, but it's very funny while still being a bit tragic.

Posted by: David | Oct 21, 2010 9:38:31 AM

3. Sort of worthless now. You can watch it online at about 100 different movie sites

Posted by: Jeff | Oct 21, 2010 9:51:43 AM

4. Maybe this is partial redemption for Carrey's obscenely homophobic "Ace Ventura".

Posted by: nebraska | Oct 21, 2010 9:55:09 AM

5. The final line of the trailer sums up an absurd and very offensive idea this movie seems to be trying to put out there (at least judging from the trailer alone): "Is the gay thing and stealing something that goes hand-in-hand?"

Posted by: gregv | Oct 21, 2010 9:59:01 AM

6. Leslie Mann is Mrs.Judd Apatow.

'Nuff said.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Oct 21, 2010 10:08:36 AM

7. Maybe I'll just wait for a pirated version of the DVD from Bangkok. I don't think I want to financially support more film representations of stereotypes and criminal ones at that. Oops, pirating isn't legal is it? Oh dear...

Posted by: Top_Ks | Oct 21, 2010 10:31:39 AM

8. I saw it months ago as well, its been out on DVD in Europe for some time now. I actually thought it was pretty good. Nothing Earth shattering or anything, but good.

Posted by: Wes | Oct 21, 2010 10:39:19 AM

9. That trailer looks totally wild. Hope the movie lives up to it.

Posted by: niles | Oct 21, 2010 11:11:28 AM

10. Watched this movie on a plane home from Europe. I thought it was funny, surprising, and singular. Cinematographically vivid, too. I'd recommend going and seeing it. A distinctly American gay movie. An oddball companion to Brokeback Mountain, I thought.

Posted by: Movies on a Plane | Oct 21, 2010 11:18:46 AM

11. Jim Carrey is a professional asshole. I have no interest in seeing what his idea of a gay man is like.

Posted by: jomicur | Oct 21, 2010 11:26:54 AM

12. I saw the movie a while ago. It is very funny and interesting. It is not sexy like Brokeback Mountain, but it is definitely sweet. It should be entertaining to you whether you are gay or straight, male or female.

If you never liked Jim Carrey before or never found him funny, this movie might change your mind. He is definitely more restrained here than his usual shtick.

Also, to all those saying it is perpetuating stereotypes, you do know it is a true story, right? I think if you sit through this movie you will see a very nuanced depiction of a variety of gay men. It is very positive and will probably win a GLAAD award.

Posted by: joeyhegele | Oct 21, 2010 12:00:40 PM

13. The movie looks like The Birdcage, with jail time. More queeny, effeminate stereotyping from straight actors. The whole thing is wearying.

Posted by: ProvGuy | Oct 21, 2010 12:54:37 PM

14. Mmmmmmmm.....Ewan McGregor.....mmmmmmmm.

Posted by: Henry Holland | Oct 21, 2010 1:02:37 PM

15. I'm not a Jim Carey fan in the slightest, but really enjoyed this film. I'll be curious to see if it's been cut/edited for US audiences.

The trailer does not reflect the film well. Yes, it is a film about two gay men, but it's more of a quirky love story. If it had been a man breaking out of prison repeatedly to reunite with a woman, there wouldn't be any fuss made. Even the trailer panders to the US obsession with negative stereotypes of homosexuality. That's not what the film is about.

...and yes, it's a true story.

Posted by: Scrammy | Oct 21, 2010 1:13:29 PM

16. A wonderful flick for the holidays -- take the kids!

Posted by: WizardBoyW | Oct 21, 2010 2:49:35 PM

17. Saw it a few months back and Scrammy is correct - it's very much a quirky love story. Touching, engaging and quite sad in parts. From the stills I'd seen (and this preview) you would be forgiven for thinking that this film is loaded with dated gay stereotypes (think Mel Gibson's gay hairdresser in "Bird on a Wire"), but it's actually a thoughtful and sweet tale with two great performances. And can I say, Ewan MacGregor has never been more handsome than in this film.

Posted by: Lewis Payton | Oct 21, 2010 3:36:48 PM

18. Jim Carrey is such a gifted and energetic amateur, and almost succeeds in not being off-putting in this one. When you become a movie star before you learn to be an actor, you are doomed to turn in high school performances for life.

Everything else about this tragi-comic film engages. There is a nice cunty sensibility at work. Screw social context, it is refreshing to see gay characters who are not saints or unicorns.

Over thirty years ago, gay German director Rainer Werner Fassbinder made an exquisite film about gay con men, English title, "Fox and His Friends." Strongly recommended.

Posted by: freestuffffff | Oct 21, 2010 7:23:28 PM

19. Movie was much better than I expected, as someone who generally despises Jim Carrey. But of course, Ewan helps a lot! I even watched it twice--which I rarely do, as least in a short period---so my ex could see it.

Posted by: Paul R | Oct 21, 2010 10:06:28 PM

20. Ewan is just so beautiful in the film.

Posted by: Gabe R L | Oct 22, 2010 2:08:43 PM