Barack Obama | Elton John | Gay Marriage | News | Rush Limbaugh

Elton John Talks Rush Limbaugh

Elton

In a lengthy interview with The Telegraph, Elton John discusses his new album. He also touches on the anger he provoked in June when he sang at Rush Limbaugh's wedding.

Earlier this year he caused outcry among the gay community when he performed, for a reported fee of $1 million, at the wedding of the splenetic right-wing American commentator Rush Limbaugh, a man who has been accused of being a homophobe, and who has described Aids as a 'hyped’ disease and claimed 'there was never any evidence’ that it could be transmitted heterosexually.

'When he asked me to play at his wedding, my agent said, “Well, of course you won’t be doing it,” ’ Elton says. 'But I said, “Well, let me think about that first.”’

Limbaugh, he says, is against gay marriage – 'But then so is President Obama. But Limbaugh’s not anti-civil partnerships, so maybe I can have a dialogue about that. I’ve put my foot in the water and so has he. I got on with him very well, got on very well with his wife. I don’t have the same politics, but that doesn’t really matter. And I think this year I can start to put things in motion by trying to get him on my side.’

The tide can change, he says.

Comments

1. By "those working against us" do you include the person using Obama's (agreed, indefensible) position on marriage himself, Elton John? Because anyone who would try to compare President Obama's outlook on gay issues with that of Rush Limbaugh is deliberately and shamefully normalizing the full range of blatantly homo-hating views Limbaugh has espoused over the years.

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | Oct 25, 2010 12:35:24 PM

2. Yeah what the fuck was that quip at the bottom? Did that guy who filled in for you leave some lying around?

It's irresponsible to throw in a charged comment like that without creating or facilitating any clarity or discussion.

Dude, YOU, Andy Towle, you have not done as much as Elton John has for gay people. What a shameful thing to be a blogger these days.

Posted by: Fenrox | Oct 25, 2010 12:39:28 PM

3. Elton lives on his own gilded cloud, doesn't he?

Posted by: Brent Z | Oct 25, 2010 12:43:14 PM

4. I think the last comment (or "quip" as it's referred to by Fenrox) is apparent and hardly revelatory or inflamatory. But whatever... Bloggers are op/ed writers not Edward R. Murrow.

What I find disingenuous about Elton John's rationalization is that while it's true that Obama doesn't support gay marriage -- Mr. John was not asked to sing at Obama's wedding. He was asked to sing at Limbaugh. And for an entire litany of derogatory remarks towards gay men and women, I could understand a gay singer turning down Limbaugh. If the offer was a half-million would Elton have sang? A hundred grand? If the answer is no, then we've simply found out the price of the whore.

And does Mr. John seriously think Limbaugh and his wife are going to have him over for tea to discuss gay rights? Really? I'd like to live in the bubble Mr. John lives in.

Posted by: Bart | Oct 25, 2010 12:48:44 PM

5. Elton made a bad decision. Like most people who make bad decisions, instead of owning up to it, he offers a lame justification.

I'm no fan of President Obama, but for Elton to equate Limbaugh and Obama because they have the same stand on gay marriage is really kind of absurd.

Posted by: justiceontherocks | Oct 25, 2010 12:50:53 PM

6. "Once again, Obama's same-sex marriage position used to legitimize the positions of those working against us."

Andy is absolutely correct. Sir Elton John is defending the indefensible. Rush Limbaugh is an enemy of LGBT people. It's the same as people who say, "I have nothing against gay people, I have friends who are gay, but, I think marriage is between a man and a woman." The response to that is, yes you are against LGBT people by putting them as separate or inferior or undeserving of rights that other people have. Gay people who defend that position are enabling homophobia and it says a lot about their own internal self-hate. I'm very disappointed in Elton John. He used to be a hero of mine but now I think he still has a lot of growing up to do at 63.

Posted by: Brad | Oct 25, 2010 12:51:19 PM

7. Hmmm, I'm not sure he's using Obama's stance on gay marriage to legitimize Limbaugh's. And I don't think we should fault Elton John for taking advantage of an opportunity to open a dialogue with someone whose views we find abhorrent. As they say, the best way to combat homophobia is to come out of the closet and to give people a chance to know us. That's all EJ was trying to do here.

Posted by: Dustin | Oct 25, 2010 12:54:17 PM

8. "I’ve put my foot in the water and so has he."

If both he and Rush actually got in the water a tidal wave would ensue.

Elton, the other queen of England.

Posted by: Hotter Perry | Oct 25, 2010 1:02:24 PM

9. Right. Elton took the gig because it was an opportunity for dialogue! Bah ha ha.

Posted by: Mike | Oct 25, 2010 1:04:04 PM

10. My problem is that you guys think that because he dropped Obama's name he is justifying his actions. He isn't, he is talking to some reporter about lots of things.

He made the POINT that sometimes people he LIKES don't share his views, so why turn down a job because he disagrees with someones views?

God, learn to read people.

Posted by: Fenrox | Oct 25, 2010 1:09:14 PM

11. the shame is on Elton

Elton saw $1,000,000 and that is the real and only reason elton did what he did. Everyone has their price and elton's is cheap.

$1,000,000 going once going twice and Elton is SOLD to the fat right wing limbaugh

hypocrite for $$$$$

Posted by: mstrozfckslv@yahoo.com | Oct 25, 2010 1:09:34 PM

12. Queens, knock it off. Andy has made some impregnable last statement that is clearly over IQ and surely it must be genius to tie in Elton John and Obama on this matter. I am often astounded at the antipathy here towards people who actually raise money, do charities, work for gay rights, when most of you sit back in your little chairs denouncing people like it was your job.

Posted by: Visitor | Oct 25, 2010 1:09:34 PM

13. Andy, it's disconcerting to see that last line. Why would you post an inflammatory remark that conflicts so horribly with "get out the vote" efforts so close to mid-term elections?

We suffered the imperial president for eight years and look where it got us. He can't go that route without empowering every president who comes after him, and who may be far more damning a social conservative than anyone we've seen yet.

Obama wants CONGRESS to legalize gay marriage, so that it will be virtually irreversible. Would you rather we build equality's house with straw or with bricks?

Posted by: Sean Mac | Oct 25, 2010 1:13:03 PM

14. Well I hope all those anti-equality people buy Elton Tom's album. I heard this crap on the TV the other day. Blah.
    Whatever with his justifications for taking blood money.

Posted by: Dairyqueen | Oct 25, 2010 1:17:37 PM

15. Sir Elton John has been known for a long time as an individual who simply has "no moral compass"! Elton only does what is in his best interest!

Yes, he champions his AIDS charities, but he does that because it is an atonement for what he describes as "getting lucky" despite his scandalous and reckless sexual behavior. He is simply a selfish self-centered buffoon!

Am I surprised that he took one million dollars from the Devil himself, not at all! What did Judas Iscariot take?

Posted by: Brains | Oct 25, 2010 1:22:19 PM

16. Fenrox

You are indeed insane my man.

He could've used ANY other person but instead he chose B Obama because he was trying to be flaming.

Wow, so Obama never put forward the Matthew Shepard Act or anything like that? And what did Limbaugh do captain braniac?

Posted by: Rowan | Oct 25, 2010 1:23:12 PM

17. That was such a cop out.

He tries to put Obama and Rush on equal footing, but this is a man who not only incites fear bigotry on a daily basis but also lies constantly in order to get his straight white male audience to hate all minorities not just gays.

Rush is truly a force for evil in this country and having a chat with Elton is never going to change that sociopath. Some people you can work with, I don't think Elton is stupid enough to really believe Rush is one of those people.

Posted by: IAN F | Oct 25, 2010 1:36:16 PM

18. AIDS is an acronym for acquired immune deficiency syndrome so it is written in upper case like LASER and SCUBA.

Posted by: Wrecks | Oct 25, 2010 1:41:29 PM

19. Elton John is CRAZY if he thinks he could dialogue with limbaugh and get him to change his anti-gay stances. Limbaugh will go to the grave hating gays and arguing against. I'm sure that if we don't perform some task for him (like singing, or designing his home) then he would have us locked up or carted off somehwhere.

Elton John just sounded silly and delusional.

Posted by: Joe | Oct 25, 2010 1:44:29 PM

20. Let's keep in mind that Elton, too, has expressed opposition to gay marriage, like Obama and Limbaugh. So, perhaps he feels legitimized by associating himself with other noteworthy bigots.

Posted by: Keppler | Oct 25, 2010 2:10:15 PM

21. If ONLY Hitler and Elton had overlapped, Elton could have played at his events as well and opened a dialogue! How noble of him!

Posted by: Tonic | Oct 25, 2010 2:24:43 PM

22. Andy, you are absolutely correct. When the leader of the US has a stated position against marriage equality, the homophobes will use his leadership as cover, and you are right in pointing it out.

To the Obamabots who feel compelled to protect the "fierce advocagte' from criticism, wake up!

And stop calling it same-sex marriage. You've fallen into the trap of the right wing extremists. They want you to put same-sex in front of the word marriage," so the puritans who hate sex will be reminded how depraved you are. It is marriage, marriage equality or access to marriage, period.

Posted by: truthteller | Oct 25, 2010 2:25:33 PM

23. Elton has always been a self serving wanker --- rich folk always hype their ability to "turn" bigots when they agree to work with them for big chunks of cash.

Posted by: rjp3 | Oct 25, 2010 2:29:12 PM

24. First and foremost, Elton John is an entertainer, he gets paid for performing Rush had the money and asked him to perform. Its Elton's job, people. That is what he is paid to do.

Second, I think he had a very rational and reasonable explanation for wanting to do it. Everyone in this country just wants to shout down and shut the opposition up. What happened to civility.

And third, the truth is Obama is no friend to the LGBT community.

Posted by: Manhattanvince | Oct 25, 2010 3:22:13 PM

25. So first he performed for Limbaugh, and from the cover of his new album it looks like he's been working with Grizzly Adams. Where will it end?

Include me with those who thinks Elton is a delusional, self-justifying hypocrite if he thinks he'll change Limbaugh's mind on anything. Hell, he'll probably never even talk to him again until Limbaugh's next wedding.

Posted by: Paul R | Oct 25, 2010 3:39:24 PM