Elton John Talks Rush Limbaugh

Elton

In a lengthy interview with The Telegraph, Elton John discusses his new album. He also touches on the anger he provoked in June when he sang at Rush Limbaugh's wedding.

Earlier this year he caused outcry among the gay community when he performed, for a reported fee of $1 million, at the wedding of the splenetic right-wing American commentator Rush Limbaugh, a man who has been accused of being a homophobe, and who has described Aids as a 'hyped’ disease and claimed 'there was never any evidence’ that it could be transmitted heterosexually.

'When he asked me to play at his wedding, my agent said, “Well, of course you won’t be doing it,” ’ Elton says. 'But I said, “Well, let me think about that first.”’

Limbaugh, he says, is against gay marriage – 'But then so is President Obama. But Limbaugh’s not anti-civil partnerships, so maybe I can have a dialogue about that. I’ve put my foot in the water and so has he. I got on with him very well, got on very well with his wife. I don’t have the same politics, but that doesn’t really matter. And I think this year I can start to put things in motion by trying to get him on my side.’

The tide can change, he says.

Once again, Obama's same-sex marriage position used to legitimize the positions of those working against us.

Comments

1. says

By “those working against us” do you include the person using Obama’s (agreed, indefensible) position on marriage himself, Elton John? Because anyone who would try to compare President Obama’s outlook on gay issues with that of Rush Limbaugh is deliberately and shamefully normalizing the full range of blatantly homo-hating views Limbaugh has espoused over the years.

2. Fenrox says

Yeah what the fuck was that quip at the bottom? Did that guy who filled in for you leave some lying around?

It’s irresponsible to throw in a charged comment like that without creating or facilitating any clarity or discussion.

Dude, YOU, Andy Towle, you have not done as much as Elton John has for gay people. What a shameful thing to be a blogger these days.

3. Bart says

I think the last comment (or “quip” as it’s referred to by Fenrox) is apparent and hardly revelatory or inflamatory. But whatever… Bloggers are op/ed writers not Edward R. Murrow.

What I find disingenuous about Elton John’s rationalization is that while it’s true that Obama doesn’t support gay marriage — Mr. John was not asked to sing at Obama’s wedding. He was asked to sing at Limbaugh. And for an entire litany of derogatory remarks towards gay men and women, I could understand a gay singer turning down Limbaugh. If the offer was a half-million would Elton have sang? A hundred grand? If the answer is no, then we’ve simply found out the price of the whore.

And does Mr. John seriously think Limbaugh and his wife are going to have him over for tea to discuss gay rights? Really? I’d like to live in the bubble Mr. John lives in.

4. justiceontherocks says

Elton made a bad decision. Like most people who make bad decisions, instead of owning up to it, he offers a lame justification.

I’m no fan of President Obama, but for Elton to equate Limbaugh and Obama because they have the same stand on gay marriage is really kind of absurd.

5. Brad says

“Once again, Obama’s same-sex marriage position used to legitimize the positions of those working against us.”

Andy is absolutely correct. Sir Elton John is defending the indefensible. Rush Limbaugh is an enemy of LGBT people. It’s the same as people who say, “I have nothing against gay people, I have friends who are gay, but, I think marriage is between a man and a woman.” The response to that is, yes you are against LGBT people by putting them as separate or inferior or undeserving of rights that other people have. Gay people who defend that position are enabling homophobia and it says a lot about their own internal self-hate. I’m very disappointed in Elton John. He used to be a hero of mine but now I think he still has a lot of growing up to do at 63.

6. Dustin says

Hmmm, I’m not sure he’s using Obama’s stance on gay marriage to legitimize Limbaugh’s. And I don’t think we should fault Elton John for taking advantage of an opportunity to open a dialogue with someone whose views we find abhorrent. As they say, the best way to combat homophobia is to come out of the closet and to give people a chance to know us. That’s all EJ was trying to do here.

7. Hotter Perry says

“I’ve put my foot in the water and so has he.”

If both he and Rush actually got in the water a tidal wave would ensue.

Elton, the other queen of England.

8. Fenrox says

My problem is that you guys think that because he dropped Obama’s name he is justifying his actions. He isn’t, he is talking to some reporter about lots of things.

He made the POINT that sometimes people he LIKES don’t share his views, so why turn down a job because he disagrees with someones views?

God, learn to read people.

9. mstrozfckslv@yahoo.com says

the shame is on Elton

Elton saw $1,000,000 and that is the real and only reason elton did what he did. Everyone has their price and elton’s is cheap.

$1,000,000 going once going twice and Elton is SOLD to the fat right wing limbaugh

hypocrite for $$$$$

10. Visitor says

Queens, knock it off. Andy has made some impregnable last statement that is clearly over IQ and surely it must be genius to tie in Elton John and Obama on this matter. I am often astounded at the antipathy here towards people who actually raise money, do charities, work for gay rights, when most of you sit back in your little chairs denouncing people like it was your job.

11. Sean Mac says

Andy, it’s disconcerting to see that last line. Why would you post an inflammatory remark that conflicts so horribly with “get out the vote” efforts so close to mid-term elections?

We suffered the imperial president for eight years and look where it got us. He can’t go that route without empowering every president who comes after him, and who may be far more damning a social conservative than anyone we’ve seen yet.

Obama wants CONGRESS to legalize gay marriage, so that it will be virtually irreversible. Would you rather we build equality’s house with straw or with bricks?

12. Dairyqueen says

Well I hope all those anti-equality people buy Elton Tom’s album. I heard this crap on the TV the other day. Blah.
    Whatever with his justifications for taking blood money.

13. Brains says

Sir Elton John has been known for a long time as an individual who simply has “no moral compass”! Elton only does what is in his best interest!

Yes, he champions his AIDS charities, but he does that because it is an atonement for what he describes as “getting lucky” despite his scandalous and reckless sexual behavior. He is simply a selfish self-centered buffoon!

Am I surprised that he took one million dollars from the Devil himself, not at all! What did Judas Iscariot take?

14. Rowan says

Fenrox

You are indeed insane my man.

He could’ve used ANY other person but instead he chose B Obama because he was trying to be flaming.

Wow, so Obama never put forward the Matthew Shepard Act or anything like that? And what did Limbaugh do captain braniac?

15. IAN F says

That was such a cop out.

He tries to put Obama and Rush on equal footing, but this is a man who not only incites fear bigotry on a daily basis but also lies constantly in order to get his straight white male audience to hate all minorities not just gays.

Rush is truly a force for evil in this country and having a chat with Elton is never going to change that sociopath. Some people you can work with, I don’t think Elton is stupid enough to really believe Rush is one of those people.

16. Joe says

Elton John is CRAZY if he thinks he could dialogue with limbaugh and get him to change his anti-gay stances. Limbaugh will go to the grave hating gays and arguing against. I’m sure that if we don’t perform some task for him (like singing, or designing his home) then he would have us locked up or carted off somehwhere.

Elton John just sounded silly and delusional.

17. Keppler says

Let’s keep in mind that Elton, too, has expressed opposition to gay marriage, like Obama and Limbaugh. So, perhaps he feels legitimized by associating himself with other noteworthy bigots.

18. truthteller says

Andy, you are absolutely correct. When the leader of the US has a stated position against marriage equality, the homophobes will use his leadership as cover, and you are right in pointing it out.

To the Obamabots who feel compelled to protect the “fierce advocagte’ from criticism, wake up!

And stop calling it same-sex marriage. You’ve fallen into the trap of the right wing extremists. They want you to put same-sex in front of the word marriage,” so the puritans who hate sex will be reminded how depraved you are. It is marriage, marriage equality or access to marriage, period.

19. rjp3 says

Elton has always been a self serving wanker — rich folk always hype their ability to “turn” bigots when they agree to work with them for big chunks of cash.

20. Manhattanvince says

First and foremost, Elton John is an entertainer, he gets paid for performing Rush had the money and asked him to perform. Its Elton’s job, people. That is what he is paid to do.

Second, I think he had a very rational and reasonable explanation for wanting to do it. Everyone in this country just wants to shout down and shut the opposition up. What happened to civility.

And third, the truth is Obama is no friend to the LGBT community.

21. Paul R says

So first he performed for Limbaugh, and from the cover of his new album it looks like he’s been working with Grizzly Adams. Where will it end?

Include me with those who thinks Elton is a delusional, self-justifying hypocrite if he thinks he’ll change Limbaugh’s mind on anything. Hell, he’ll probably never even talk to him again until Limbaugh’s next wedding.

22. Trey says

Elton has a good point, but I do believe the dollar signs came first. He and Rush both wanted the PR and attention.

Andy, that was a great one-liner at the end. If the first black president isn’t for equal rights to marriage, who really will be? It’s simple for many people to assume same-sex marriage just isnt in the cards for America.

23. BobN says

I suppose one can forgive Elton for his little lie about Limbaugh and Obama. The man has never struck me as terribly bright or that interested in politics.

BUT to have the host here reinforce the lie is, to say the least, disappointing. Rush Limbaugh worked hard to encourage passage of dozens of state constitutional amendments which ban SSM and civil unions.

He’s an anti-gay bigot.

24. ty says

You queens need to start building bridges instead of criticizing someone who is a true pioneer and a musical genius.
    And Andy’s statement is true, we are not going to get our rights because the right wing (which includes blue dog dems like Obama) needs to appeal to the churchy crowd.

25. BOBZ says

According to Leon Russell, Elton saved his life. I am certain Ryan White and his Mom also received some solace from Elton, too.
    What’s wrong with you people? It is likely that history will see Elton not only as a great composer & musician but also a wonderful philanthropist.

26. Derek Pearce says

Well, I think EJ is full of shite, but on the other hand it’s not like he needed the money. He’s so rich that a million bucks is nothing to this guy so it wasn’t because of that. He’s delusional if he thinks he’s made a difference in getting Limbaugh to lay off the homophobia though.

27. ratbastard says

He’s human. He has done a lot of good things, probably more than most people in similar positions as himself.

He’ll still do anything for a buck. Nothing really wrong with that, dude probably does need the money. He’s extravagant.