Gay Marriage | News | Rebecca Kleefisch | Wisconsin

Wisconsin Lt. Governor Candidate Rebecca Kleefisch Compares Gay Marriage to Marrying Dogs and Clocks

Rebecca_kleefisch

The Wonk Room's Igor Volsky makes note of a recent appearance by Wisconsin Lt. Governor candidate Rebecca Kleefisch, who appeared on WITI's program "Real Milwaukee" and called same-sex marriage a "fiscal back breaker" for the state.

Kleefisch Kleefisch has also made other, more offensive, remarks, and is drawing protesters at campaign stops. The U. of Wisconsin - Stevens Point paper, The Pointer, reports:

Kleefisch recently made comments regarding gay marriage that have drawn the ire of members of the LGBTQ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer) community. She has said that her faith was one reason for her opposition to gay marriage. Kleefisch also stated that it is “fiscally irresponsible” to approve such marriages.

In an interview on ‘Homefront’ on VCY America, Kleefisch said, “At what point are we going to OK marrying inanimate objects? Can I marry this table or this clock? Can we marry dogs? This is ridiculous.”

Watch Kleefisch's appearance on WITI, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. someone truly needs their head stomped.

Posted by: doug | Oct 27, 2010 9:35:24 AM

2. O'Connell and Kleefisch - sisters in spirit.

Posted by: Leo | Oct 27, 2010 9:42:37 AM

3. can't wait to vote against her and the douchebag running for governor, scott walker. the campaign has kept rebecca locked in the trunk until just recently, so they must be getting desperate.

Posted by: everette | Oct 27, 2010 9:43:00 AM

4. What is with the "Dark Helmet" hairdo? I think that's a dead give-away that what lurks underneath is nothing but vapid bullshit.

Let's hope this moron is not on the Koch brothers payroll.

Posted by: Rad | Oct 27, 2010 9:44:17 AM

5. In the dictionary, under the definition of C*NT, you will find Rebecca Kleefisch's face.

Posted by: Steve | Oct 27, 2010 9:44:32 AM

6. OMG, yet another right-wing Christianist homophobic Repug twit. They're everywhere this election year. How apropos that the mid-term election follows two days after Halloween!

Posted by: Rob | Oct 27, 2010 9:49:32 AM

7. i am so glad she has addressed my personal issue... i thought i was the only one f**king my family heirloom grandfather clock... now i have hope to marry it someday! as soon as teh gays get their rights, mine will surely come next! praise jebus!

Posted by: EO | Oct 27, 2010 9:50:50 AM

8. For people like Rebecca and her fellow believers at the Church of the Dim Candle, it is all about denying it is love.

Show 'em otherwise.

Posted by: Patrick | Oct 27, 2010 9:55:31 AM

9. What does a $3 billion budget have to do with gay marriage? I think Massachusetts has shown that it actually brings money into local economies.

Posted by: steve | Oct 27, 2010 10:00:41 AM

10. So if all marriages are a fiscal backbreaker because the state has to give out benefits, then no one should be allowed to marry. Then the state will save a ton of money, right?

Damn, these people are so incredibly stupid. It takes 5 seconds to destroy their inane logic.

She also tries to make sure she is not thought of as homophobic with the rationale that the majority of Wisconsin voted the same way that she did. So therefore, I'm not a homophobic bigot, see!

Posted by: David in Houston | Oct 27, 2010 10:01:06 AM

11. Teabaggers have chosen the belief concept of intelligent design as their landmark. Applying this kind of intellectual framework in a self referential way to teabagging creatures and their mental products, one have to admit the obviousness of multiple design bugs. Usually, substandard goods end on a rubbish dump. I hope,
    American voters will practice an intelligent waste separation.

Posted by: Roman Bolliger | Oct 27, 2010 10:15:12 AM

12. So we shouldn't have marriage equality because of your religion?

Or we shouldn't have marriage equality b/c it will be too expensive to extend the benefits that we currently subsidize for you... to us???

Which is it?

It is amazing to me that people w/ such lack of understanding of law/gov't are about to actually be elected.

It's as though we are becoming a nation of hillbillies... although, I risk maligning hillbillies & apologize in advance.

Posted by: pete | Oct 27, 2010 10:20:25 AM

13. wasn't that long ago - religion WAS used to Justify women NOT having the RIGHT to Vote, and Hey...at that time it was Popular to think that way too. Why can't I ever run into Bitches like this- so I can givem a peice of my mind? Grrrrr ...and Last time I chked - Gay/lesbian Citizens PAID MORE then Thier Fair share of taxes that went to Subsidize heteros.

Posted by: Disgusted American | Oct 27, 2010 10:29:04 AM

14. i really thought that elvira had changed to a lighter wig when i glanced at her photo.

Posted by: jason | Oct 27, 2010 10:30:28 AM

15. Oh, the illogic. Marriage equality would be a "fiscal backbreaker"? So, shouldn't gay people, or single people without children, not have to subsidize "straight marriage" and the offspring of "straight marriage" who are the real fiscal backbreakers. Those schools for the children of straight couples sure suck up a lot of $. Actually, marriage equality adds revenue to a state.

But it's no more illogical than using "faith" to hide your bigotry, or the nonsense comparisons. To those people, I always say, "If you want to marry your sister/clock/dog/horse, take it up with the legislature or the court and see how far you get. Not my fight."

Posted by: Ernie | Oct 27, 2010 10:33:38 AM

16. Rad and Jason,

I suspect her hairdresser has surreptitiously demonstrated his own displeasure with her politics. Seriously, at first I thought this was a screen capture from TV Land's tribute to women of the 1970s.

Posted by: Acronym Jim | Oct 27, 2010 10:38:00 AM

17. That Girl called. She wants her hair back.

Posted by: Scott | Oct 27, 2010 10:43:38 AM

18. Obviously there are all legitmate reasons for why her logic is flawed and why she is wrong. But, instead of doing that (because it gets so tiring sometimes, especially when all other commentators here have said it) let's poke some fun at this gal:

Kleefisch? Really. My goodness, if snl did a sketch of a loon from the mid-west that would be her last name.

twenty-o-six for 2006. Just odd.

The yellow shirt and suit combo? Why is it these people, even thought they are of means, look like they buy everything from wal-mart. ick.

And the helmet hair. I felt like I was watching something from the mid-90s. If she is going to spout off crazy things like O'Donnel and Palin, she should at least have a cute look to go along with it. Michele Bachman does not approve.

Posted by: Joe | Oct 27, 2010 10:50:16 AM

19. I haven't seen a hair-do like that since at least 1969. What a helmet-head!

To that obviously logic-challenged lady: I'd suggest marrying the clock ONLY if it has an insertable extension that vibrates when the alarm goes off. For you, dear, that would be a marriage made in tea-bag heaven.

Geez, what an asshole.

Posted by: mike | Oct 27, 2010 11:39:52 AM

20. When did LGBT become "LGBTQ"? Seriously. I must have missed something.

Posted by: grego | Oct 27, 2010 12:01:02 PM

21. If Scott Walker wins and something happens to him, this crazy lady will be running the state. How fucked up is that.

Posted by: Sam | Oct 27, 2010 1:06:29 PM

22. ... and I guess marrying her would be like marrying a balloon or a couch ...

Posted by: SFRowGuy | Oct 27, 2010 1:07:25 PM

23. How the hell is the marriage between two CONSENTING ADULTS the same as marrying a fucking piece of furniture or an animals!?!!?!?!
    Maybe someone should question the mental state of her parents to have gotten married and bring such a fucking bigot into the world.

Posted by: Matt | Oct 27, 2010 2:47:49 PM

24. That bitch clearly does not have a gay hairdresser!

And yes, I think it is hight time for the clock-lovers to come out of the closet and declare the love that dare not speak...good grief, what a "moran".

We will add the C to make it LGBTQC! Clock-fuckers of the world, unite! Pretty soon, our community will have every letter in the alphabet to go with our embrace of every color in the rainbow. Wait, how about just an I for all inanimate object lovers...now we're LGBTQI!

Posted by: So Left I'm Right | Oct 27, 2010 10:07:23 PM

25. This is why so many Republican men are gay.

Posted by: Now I Get It | Oct 28, 2010 7:58:18 AM