Margaret Cho | News

BigGayDeal.com

Margaret Cho Uses 'Dancing' Stage For Gay Pride, Suicide Prevention

Mchosgaydance

Margaret Cho used Dancing With The Stars' stage last night to celebrate gay youth.

After dancing with partner Louis van Amstel to Barry Manilow's "Copacabana" in a rainbow fringe dress, the exceedingly queer friendly Cho told the audience, "The story is about having pride while people's criticizing you," and, later, "This is the gayest thing that I think has ever happened here."

"Our story is serious," she concluded. "We wanted to celebrate pride. It's a tough time for the gay community. A lot of gay teenagers have committed suicide, so we want this to end now!"

Watch Cho's performance and remarks, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. go Cho!!!

Posted by: qjersey | Oct 5, 2010 8:11:56 AM

2. Unfortunately, that song is as much Samba as FoxNews is leftist.

Posted by: Renan | Oct 5, 2010 8:46:38 AM

3. This is really great. I love when gay issues are raised on shows like "Dancing with the Stars" because it is a show that tries its best offend no one and has a lot of middle-america viewers who rarely think about gay issues unless directly confronted with it. This makes it hard to ignore we exist.

Posted by: Joe | Oct 5, 2010 10:04:37 AM

4. hmm the track seems slowed down a bit.

Posted by: tom a | Oct 5, 2010 10:07:05 AM

5. I thought the whole thing fell flat. She danced poorly and then tried to make it appear that she's really there as an adovcate for the gay community and hey, this is important! It didn't work for me at all. Of course, it was nowhere near as tastless as the contestent who dedicated her dance to the armed forces.

Posted by: Arthur | Oct 5, 2010 10:16:50 AM

6. Bitch can't dance...but she's the ONLY STAR on that stage!!!

Posted by: Bobo | Oct 5, 2010 11:08:19 AM

7. @RENAN:

It's actually a very classic ballroom samba song. And just because ballroom samba is different from other sambas, doesn't make it less legitimate than any of the other ones.

Posted by: A | Oct 5, 2010 11:21:13 AM

8. Well if that wasn't a big finger snap with attitude in the face of middle/conservative/bigoted America, I don't know what is!

Posted by: AgBoiNV | Oct 5, 2010 12:50:32 PM

9. Hmmmm. They gave her 666? I hope that was a co-inkidink.

Posted by: Mikey | Oct 5, 2010 1:01:46 PM

10. If she's "queer-friendly", she's no friend of mine! I'm not a "queer", and neither is anybody I know. "Reclaiming" sexual slurs is a dumbass thing to do anytime it's tried, but it's especially inappropriate now, when everybody's making a special effort to model dignity for Gay kids.

Posted by: Stuffed Animal | Oct 5, 2010 1:08:03 PM

11. Queer friendly was the poster's words, not hers. Stuffed Animal sounds more like Stuffed Up Animal.

Posted by: Jeremy | Oct 5, 2010 4:00:31 PM

12. I don't think the performance worked at all, no one really seemed to understand what if was about. Linking this samba dance to the gay teen suicides seemed kind of offensive to me. I know they meant well, but just didn't work for me.

Posted by: ken | Oct 5, 2010 4:10:57 PM

13. Stuffed Animal, where have you been for the last 15 years? The word "Queer" has been a badge of honour among activists and gay academics for seemingly ever. I'm totally queer and have no problem with it.

Posted by: Derek Pearce | Oct 5, 2010 8:15:44 PM

14. @Stuffed Animal - I've met plenty of people who refer to themselves as queer and would rather label themselves so. Get over it. Cho is AMAZING!!!

Posted by: VaVa | Oct 6, 2010 12:29:43 AM

15. I, on the other hand, am queer, in every sense of the word, and I don't understand why it's a 'slur'. I wouldn't WANT to be normal, because the notion of thinking of oneself as normal is itself abnormal - it's an obsessive self-check against some standard on which I don't recall being asked to vote.

Posted by: Tim | Oct 6, 2010 7:46:39 AM

16. I appreciate your commitment to the LGBT community Cho! If only there were more brave people who would stand up for what they believed in.

Posted by: Tyler | Oct 6, 2010 12:12:01 PM

17. CHO: You were competing in a dance competition. You do not mix politics with business unless your business is politics. With Gay people being only about 10% of the audience, and a lot of the rest being anti Gay, it is no wonder your votes were not where they should have been; based on talent alone. Politics took its tole.

Posted by: Jerry6 | Oct 6, 2010 10:03:54 PM

18. Well, I'm not sure how much effect it will have, but props to Cho for putting in the effort. Maybe some of the crazies tuning in to fawn over the Palin girl will get a clue!

Posted by: Deb | Nov 16, 2010 9:45:36 PM